• I 'Hate' Vista and don't use it

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • I 'Hate' Vista but I still use it

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • I Don't mind it

Votes: 70 32.7%
  • I Love it

Votes: 64 29.9%
  • My cat's breath smells like cat food...

Votes: 33 15.4%

• Total voters

pcbistro

I voted that I hate it but still use it because it is something new to try to use when I get tried of looking at windows xp. I recently wrote an small article about it at http://www.pcbistro.com/articles/getting-windows-vista-to-work-better-for-you/ and I can you tell you what is very disappointing about vista and the hardware upgrades that is require for it run smoothly. I also, agree with everyone else that the memory management is pretty bad. Ubuntu Desktop is way smoother with the memory management.

d3adpoetic

Vista handles RAM and resources horribly. My laptop has 3GB of RAM and with the laptop running idle, a third of it is being taken up!

really?? (sarcasm)

it holds programs you use most often in RAM so they open faster. its a service called superfetch. im sorry you have a problem with your OS trying to be efficient for you. i have 3gb too,and personally i want it to be used. i dont want to pay for 3gb then look and see that only 500mb is being used...what a waste unless im gaming.

Spyder

My issue is that you needed to upgrade your computer just to run Vista Premium or ultimate. At the same time if you upgraded your computer for vista and you ran xp on it, it would run amazingly well. I did it and I'm glad i did. Vista has some great features, no doubt, but I can't wait for a windows distro to really be designed for raw performance, and stability. But I just may be asking for too much.

Spyder

At the same time, is there a way to reduce the features of an Ultimate install to, say a basic install? I have ultimate but theres few features I use from it. I would like to streamline it. can i?

PC eye

banned
What you need is a tutorial on how to speed things up in Vista like increasing the number of processors listed in the msconfig>boot tab.advanced from 1 to 2 for dual cores and to 4 with quads as well as following various blogs on things like "10 Simple Ways To Speed Up Windows Vista" http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/2007/10/19/10-simple-ways-to-speed-up-windows-vista/

In fact even Microsoft has a "How To" article for "Get maximum performance from Windows Vista" seen at http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/Help/596FB57F-CC9D-4AC5-A813-5C0830E9156A1033.mspx

M0LD0V4N

I hate vista because in Home premium, alot of people are having this LOCAL Access only with the internet connection. It makes me Spend about 4 hours with my ISP trying to resolve the problem only to find out that my Vista, MAGICALLY broke by itself. So.. Now I'm using Vista, Which is Hogging my RAM for no Reason, I mean that's stupid to take up that MUCH memory? And not to mention how slow it can be.. Especially when you have alot of programs up. In XP I had 20 programs up and running, In Vista, You cant just do that , Unless you wanna get mad, So pretty much Vista is Just for Looks.. Nothing special about it. It's JUST PROFIT MAKING For Microsoft.

speedyink

VIP Member
I see lots of complaining about high ram usage at idle, but no complaints about all of the ram actually being used. I find it hard to use all of even 2gb (doing real world things of course, nothing retarded like running 3 games at once). But, I realize some people have to bitch about something, so I'll let that argument go ;)

FairDoos

I would still prefer XP over Vista though but the only reason Vista is in my good books is because of the design i like it i think it makes XP look ugly to be honest but thats my oppinion:p

brycematheson712

I'd have to agree with you there. I do enjoy the good looks, but I don't believe that they need to use that much RAM to make a different design.

There are a few things I do enjoy in Vista, but very few. XP has done almost everything better in everyway.

Roy Rogers

vista and E machines problems

I upgraded my EL1200 e machines computer to Vista but The OS did not load many of the drivers. Since the modem driver did not load I was unable to register the upgrade with Microsoft. I contacted emachines and was told I could obtain a free disk with all necessary drivers but the shipping charge would be $35. Here's the rub, it would be 10 days before the drivers would arrive and Microsoft Vista must be registered within 3 days. The bottom line, I can't load drivers without the modem and I cant activate the modem without the drivers. Additionally I can't register windows Vista within the required 3 days. I possibly could find a phone number for registration but, with my luck so far, I'd prefer to actually see the system working properly before registering it.

scooter

banned
I upgraded my EL1200 e machines computer to Vista but The OS did not load many of the drivers. Since the modem driver did not load I was unable to register the upgrade with Microsoft. I contacted emachines and was told I could obtain a free disk with all necessary drivers but the shipping charge would be $35. Here's the rub, it would be 10 days before the drivers would arrive and Microsoft Vista must be registered within 3 days. The bottom line, I can't load drivers without the modem and I cant activate the modem without the drivers. Additionally I can't register windows Vista within the required 3 days. I possibly could find a phone number for registration but, with my luck so far, I'd prefer to actually see the system working properly before registering it.

3 days??

You get 30 days and you can re-arm that trial period and extend the trial for up to 120 days?

Not sure where you got 3 days from!?

Also, anytime you deal with a retail machine..you need to manufacturers drivers.

Microsoft does not provide drivers for your system on thier o/s disc.

You need to go to the manufacturers website and find the driver/download section and go from there,,,thats assuming you don't get the disc you mentioned.

I would recommend to pay the $35 bucks and get the disc from them....just rearm the vista trial period if you truly have 3 days left...(Doesn't make sense, but you are not out of luck)

EDIT: try the gateway site

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=EL1200

Last edited:

CAC

I love Vista, it looks so much better than XP, sure there is a few bugs with it, but most are with third party software, it has improved a lot since it came out and I think when SP2 comes out in 2009 we are going to see a tremendous difference in the operating system. It seems like all operating systems when they first come out have a lot of bugs in them, I know XP did when it first came out. Older computers will not run Vista well, I have a Gateway GT5670 with a AMD 8400 triple core processor and 3 gigs of RAM and my system runs vista fine, especially with the proper settings. One thing I really like the most in Vista is the search bar in the start menu to search for files. In a lot of cases this makes it so much easier to search for them, The security is also better than what XP offers. The only thing I wish is that it didn't use so many resources but I think this will improve with SP2 also.

fritzj92

Honestly, what are you guys running on vista that is taking up your Ram so much?... my ram idles at around 600-780mb, i have 2gig Ram... So far I have yet to see a reason to get another stick of ram... I never really use more than like 1.5gig in ram... unless i'm playing GTA4, or F.E.A.R or W.I.C.... etc basically unless i'm gaming w/ music in the background...

epidemik

Ithought they fixed it so that it uses a sensible ammount of ram...
Like it uses a different ammount if you have 2gb than if you have 4.

I was under the impression they fixed a lot of the issues. Am I wrong?
I don't use it but was infact interested in trying it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The Application enhancer process was part of my problem, it will eat up 2gigs of RAM by itself. It is part of Fetch, and it preloads things into memory for faster use. The problem is, it doesn't clear things out either. If I kill that process from running my RAM usage will drop from 3gigs to 1gig idle.

Also, if you have less memory, 2gigs or under it will idle at less, since Vista seems to take a percentage of your RAM when it is not being used, roughly 25% from my dealings with Vista.

speedyink

VIP Member
The Application enhancer process was part of my problem, it will eat up 2gigs of RAM by itself. It is part of Fetch, and it preloads things into memory for faster use. The problem is, it doesn't clear things out either. If I kill that process from running my RAM usage will drop from 3gigs to 1gig idle.

Also, if you have less memory, 2gigs or under it will idle at less, since Vista seems to take a percentage of your RAM when it is not being used, roughly 25% from my dealings with Vista.

Wow...sounds like you got a serious problem there. Have you tried reinstalling?

Yeah, it uses about 25-30% at idle, though, with 1gb and less it tends to use more. Windows 7 has changed it to use roughly 500-600mb at idle, i think no matter your ram amount. I've only tested this with 3gb and 2gb installed though.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Wow...sounds like you got a serious problem there. Have you tried reinstalling?

Yeah, it uses about 25-30% at idle, though, with 1gb and less it tends to use more. Windows 7 has changed it to use roughly 500-600mb at idle, i think no matter your ram amount. I've only tested this with 3gb and 2gb installed though.

I don't think reinstalling would make a difference this was a clean install from about a month ago. If anything something I am using with ApplicationEnhancer is causing some serious memory leaks.

I think it may actually be my torrent client, it crashes the most out of all my Applications, and I think when it crashes it never clears it out of RAM all together.

speedyink

VIP Member
I don't think reinstalling would make a difference this was a clean install from about a month ago. If anything something I am using with ApplicationEnhancer is causing some serious memory leaks.

I think it may actually be my torrent client, it crashes the most out of all my Applications, and I think when it crashes it never clears it out of RAM all together.

Which client do you use?