• I 'Hate' Vista and don't use it

Votes: 29 13.6%
  • I 'Hate' Vista but I still use it

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • I Don't mind it

Votes: 70 32.7%
  • I Love it

Votes: 64 29.9%
  • My cat's breath smells like cat food...

Votes: 33 15.4%

• Total voters

tlarkin

VIP Member
Well, Did XP use more RAM than Windows 2000, or even Windows 98? I'm sure Windows 7 will use more RAM than Vista when it comes out...

Vista only uses the amount of RAM you have, say if you were on a system with 2GB, it would only use around 400MB of it. My system for example, has 4GB of RAM, and I use about 900MB. :)

That is subjective though. XP and 2000 offered tons of features and performance increases over previous versions, where as Vista does not really offer that much. That is why it has failed miserably in the enterprise market. There is no good reason to upgrade.

2000 we saw the NT kernel gain some multi media aspects and become a more end-user friendly OS. With XP we saw them combine the end-user friendliness with the NT kernel full on. Vista is just a bunch of bloat with a pretty interface, and offers features that end users won't ever use, like encrypted file systems.

chibicitiberiu

That is subjective though. XP and 2000 offered tons of features and performance increases over previous versions, where as Vista does not really offer that much. That is why it has failed miserably in the enterprise market. There is no good reason to upgrade.

2000 we saw the NT kernel gain some multi media aspects and become a more end-user friendly OS. With XP we saw them combine the end-user friendliness with the NT kernel full on. Vista is just a bunch of bloat with a pretty interface, and offers features that end users won't ever use, like encrypted file systems.

I agree.

According to Wikipedia, Windows XP was made by a combination of teams that worked on previous projects.
Windows Neptune is an experimental version of Microsoft Windows that was in development from early 1999 to early 2000. The goal was to preview ideas for a home user operating system from the same sources as the NT-based Windows 2000 that was developed for business users, replacing the older DOS-based Windows 9x home user operating systems. After the release of Windows 2000, the Neptune team was combined with the Windows 2000 team to work on the "Whistler" project that was released in late 2001 as Windows XP, and Microsoft released another home user DOS-based operating system called Windows Me.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Neptune
Odyssey was a codename for a version of Microsoft Windows that was in development from early 1999 to early 2000. The goal of Odyssey was to develop a successor to the NT-based Windows 2000 that was developed for business users. The same codebase, NT 6.0,[1] was going to be used in creating Windows Neptune, the "home" counterpart to Odyssey. (The version number "NT 6.0", but not the name, was later recycled for Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system.) There were some publicly leaked builds of Neptune. However, after the release of Windows 2000, the Neptune and Odyssey teams were combined with the Windows 2000 team to work on the Whistler project that was released in late 2001 as Windows XP.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Odyssey

So the Windows Neptune and Windows Odyssey (canceled projects) teams and the Windows 2000 team joined to create windows xp. And xp is the best version yet, it had tons of new features, a brand new 21st century look, and much more... Most of the people that are on this forum ever used windows xp, so you know how it is, and if some used previous versions of windows know how good xp is.

(screen shot of Windows Neptune Build 5111)
798px-Windows_Neptune_Desktop.png

Later Windows xp was codenamed "Whistler"
(screen shot of Windows Whistler Build 2257)
800px-Windows_XP_build_2257.png

And than appeared xp as we know today.

For who is interested about:
Development of Windows XP click this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_XP
Development of Windows 98: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_98
Development of Windows Vista: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_Vista

Last edited:

mac550

i dont mind it, some things in vista really bug you, like the personalization window, why did they not keep it the same as in xp but just make it funkyer and give you loads more toys to play with. but as an OS its ok, quite stable and looks a little better then xp, MS do have a long way to go before i will say "i love windows XX" one thing being, let the user change the way the start menu and taskbar looks and works.

TechShark

I just built a decent computer on a low budget and had the choice of putting XP Pro SP3 or Vista any recommendations?

`PaWz

banned
Costs a lot of money with no real upgrades, heavy hardware requirements, uses a lot of harddrive space

Machin3

To use Vista, you need 1 gb of RAM to start off. Ever wonder why theres only 1 SP made for it? Thats because its not even worth fixing. Microsoft decided not to make another SP to it and so they are coming out with Windows 7.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Ever wonder why theres only 1 SP made for it? Thats because its not even worth fixing.
Vista hasn't been out for too long, that's why. Win2k has at least 4 service packs availale for it, XP now has 3, Vista has 1. See how it goes? The older the OS the more SPs they have because they're more mature nad more fixes have been made for them. They will release more SPs as time goes on.

Personally, though, I really do like some features of it over XP but the main reason I have Vista is simply because my computer happened to come with it. XP or Vista, makes no real difference to me, and I voted "don't mind it".

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think Windows 2000 has like 6 service packs....or about

Yeah Vista has not been out long enough to constitute it having any more service packs. Windows just updates their OS in a weird fashion. When you look at Unix, Linux, or OS X, they will have for example version 5, then 5.1 then 5.3 then 5.5, then 5.9, then move on to version 6. They don't have service packs. Windows does it in service packs, and that is just how they roll them out. That is also the down side to being in such a large market share. They have to code and test everything for every possible configuration, otherwise they could release an update that may royally piss off one of their major clients.

bm23

had vista. utilise quad core real well and looks good too. but too many bugs. there was this bug that create an error msg that read "explorer.exe has encountered a problem". when i clicked ok, it restarted explorer.exe and the msg pop up again. this is the bug that made me switch back to xp.

brian

VIP Member
had vista. utilise quad core real well and looks good too. but too many bugs. there was this bug that create an error msg that read "explorer.exe has encountered a problem". when i clicked ok, it restarted explorer.exe and the msg pop up again. this is the bug that made me switch back to xp.

most likey sp1 fixed that, i have had no problems for a long long long time

bm23

actually, i was using SP1. i posted a thread about the problem some time ago but didnt receive any solution.

Twist86

Its odd I have that same exact error but on XP not Vista. I never could find out why it does it.

Either case I love Vista now ^-^

sgtsampay

After SP1, i don;t see why Vista is so bad. The biggest thing I like about Vista is the speech reconition. Its so fun!!!

Last edited:

pies

I'm fine with it. Having a couple problems with crossfire but it fixes that so it's not bad.

yangster

I've only had one problem with it and it couldn't handle 4 GB of ram, Vista Ultimate. I had all of the updates installed, and it kept giving me the BSOD. Got tired of it so I'm using XP right now. Gonna try Vista Business whenever I have the time since I got it for free from school.

eckx

well, since ram is an issue on vista, i always run my laptop on high performance. It doesn't take that long to open programs or run windows explorer. plus if you adjust the performance settings , your good to go.