Windows 10

Jiniix

Don't get me wrong, I love the much better native support and installation of LAN, Chipset, MEI, RST and audio drivers. These don't need to be updated often, but when I've told it "No (Your device might not work as expected)" and can't stop/hide/cancel an Update, it really makes me mad :)

Darren

Staff member
Edit: Apparently the Anniversary Update can screw up your non OS drives. Seen a few people online mention it. I have a 120GB SSD with W10 on it, 1TB internal HDD for games and storage, and an external 1TB USB HDD for movies/shows and other random stuff that is always hooked up. My external is no longer seen by Windows Explorer and Disk Management simply marks it as "Unallocated". Don't want to deal with it now but hopefully all of my games and TV shows didn't just get nuked.

I'd advise disconnecting any external HDD's before you do the upgrade, or even anything apart from your OS drive.
Update. My external HDD indeed got borked by the update, and I've seen several places online mention this problem. When you do the Anniversary Update I HIGHLY suggest disconnecting any other drives that aren't your OS drive. I just rolled back to the previous build (took about 4 minutes), and everything is still on my drive. Just disconnected it and doing the update again.

Punk

Staff member
Yeah major update on my laptop this morning, can see people turning off their computers out of lack of patience... Took a good 30 mins to install.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone having any issues with the number lock after the anniversary
Update? Mine won't turn on during boot up now, have to manually press it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I noticed my keyboard's numberlock light is on... but it stays on. caps lock light is always off... frozen.

Had to unplug and plug it back in to fix it.

Hopefully this is just a one off problem. I'll make note of it again when I restart my computer next time.

Darren

Staff member
Okay what the actual hell Microsoft. I had my external HDD totally disconnected before during and after the update. Plug it in. Still unallocated. HOW?!?!?!?!?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Okay what the actual hell Microsoft. I had my external HDD totally disconnected before during and after the update. Plug it in. Still unallocated. HOW?!?!?!?!?
latest

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed my keyboard's numberlock light is on... but it stays on. caps lock light is always off... frozen.

Had to unplug and plug it back in to fix it.

Hopefully this is just a one off problem. I'll make note of it again when I restart my computer next time.

It just did it again when I got home from work so I went into bios and disabled the number lock setting and re enabled it and booted into windows and back to normal again. Weird.

Darren

Staff member

I'm just copying what I need over to my laptop and going to reformat it. I just use it for saving movies and shows and a few big game backups. Thankfully my laptop is almost empty since I just wiped it semi-recently.

Edit: Format and creating new volume worked just fine. Dunno what MS did but they dun goofed as this is a pretty common problem based on my research.

Last edited:

C4C

Wait... Anniversary upgrades? Seems all the ones that have taken forever have been smooth for myself...

strollin

Out of 8 machines I've upgraded so far, only 1 had an issue. What's weird is that it was the only machine I did that came originally with Win 10. Anyway, after the upgrade, the wifi adapter no longer worked. Had to connect via ethernet and download a new driver in order to get it working.

Laquer Head

My 2nd newest, and most current laptop here only decided to do the update yesterday, so took 6 days for some reason, every other machine was day1 or day2..

Darren

Staff member
My 2nd newest, and most current laptop here only decided to do the update yesterday, so took 6 days for some reason, every other machine was day1 or day2..

They roll out upgrades over 2 weeks. Those that originally installed 10 first, get updates first.