Windows 10

Punk

Staff member
Ok just updated my tablet. No issue whatsoever. My laptop had a wifi problem though when it first restarted it couldn't find any network. Restarted, which ended up in a BSOD and then all worked. That's the only "issue" I've witnessed so far.

Origin Saint

Ok just updated my tablet.
Hey now wait a minute here, I thought free updates ended on 6/29/2016? Aren't you 10 days late to be able to do that? Or am I behind here?

EDIT: #ContextIsImportant

My B, didn't read far enough back. Anniversary update. Got it. :oops:

Jiniix

I just installed it on laptop yesterday (thank you MS for actually giving us direct version-specific ISO downloads again!)
Looks fine, they moved some more settings to the new Metro UI settings, which I can get used to I guess.
The most worrying by far would be "Active Hours", with a max of 12 hours. Outside these hours, Windows Update has no laws, and I couldn't fint any way to disable it via GUI.
Who does M$ think I am? A filthy casual? I have nightmares of a LAN party when Update would restart me at 3am every night. I want if OFF.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The most worrying by far would be "Active Hours", with a max of 12 hours. Outside these hours, Windows Update has no laws, and I couldn't fint any way to disable it via GUI.
Who does M$ think I am? A filthy casual? I have nightmares of a LAN party when Update would restart me at 3am every night. I want if OFF.
You running Windows 10 Pro?

haxoc112

You can disable automatic Windows update on the Pro version among a bunch of other options. See the following link and scroll down to the section "Use Group Policy to Disable Automatic Updates — Professional Editions Only"

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Can you? Like completely? I'm trying to decide between 7, 8.1 (pro) because the fact you can't control your updates Really annoys me (I saw you can deal with most of the privacy issues with 3rd parties). So what do recommend as an alternative to w10? Forget the UI. performance, privacy stuff and how much control do you have over your system is more important in my opinion. Or do you recommend leaving Windows in favor of a Hackintosh? (I'm serious :)) I put a lot of thinking into this subject (building a Hackintosh) after I saw the mess that is win10

Last edited:

Jiniix

Windows 10 with O&O ShutUp10 and Group Policy editing on the Anniversary Update is working wonders for me right now. A notification came and said updates were ready to be downloaded. It's been 2 days and several restarts, and it still hasn't downloaded them without my approval. As for privacy issues, Windows 7 and 8.1 are receiving the same telemetry collecting updates now, so you'd have to actively uninstall those as well.
I'm just putting my trust in O&O ShutUp10 to take care of the non-GUI options.

haxoc112

So you think the anniversary update fixed/changed the forced updates?
Or it was like this from the beginning?
Also I saw you can't disabled cortana after the anniversary update, is that true?

beers

Staff member
You see the same behavior moving to XP, 7 or 8 depending on how old the application is. I don't think I'd chalk it up to a Windows 10 feature or even anything that would ever be fixed for legacy applications.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Very likely, but at a certain point vendors need to stop support for older applications. Can you imagine the bloat if every OS kept everything that was ever supported?

Darren

Staff member
Very likely, but at a certain point vendors need to stop support for older applications. Can you imagine the bloat if every OS kept everything that was ever supported?
Pretty much any customer I see at work that is holding on to old OS's for software compatibility are using specialized programs to run tools like lathing machines, embroidery machines, and the like. Any other reason is pretty much just stubborness to not adapt to modern technology.

speedyink

VIP Member
Anyone having issues with explorer? For some reason since Windows 10, Explorer keeps scrolling back to the top of the list. Imagine you're looking through a thousand files, scrolling through looking for a specific one. You stop for just a split second and BAM, it kicks you back to the top. It's very, VERY annoying, and it happens all the time. Is there a fix for this?