Windows 10

Jiniix

Damn, all that data collecting takes space :D

Edit: Not sure if insider builds are different, just looked since I'm slacking at work :)

WcvoBXne.png

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
Unfortunately you won't be able to reactivate windows 8 if the upgrade to 10 was more then 30 days ago. Windows 8 license actually becomes a windows 10 license and you can't go back.

Well isn't that dandy.

On another note, anyone having issues with Windows Explorer working extreeeemely slowly from time to time? It seems to be drive specific, like right now, my F: is taking like 10-30 seconds to navigate through folders, where C: is just fine. And it's not just file navigation, scrolling is very delayed, clicking on items causes delay, it's like the whole Explorer window is running on a Pentium 75mhz. Reboot and bam, it's all good again. This is the second time it's happened. I don't think it's a failing drive either, because once I do find like say a high bit rate 1080p blueray rip, it plays just fine. Also like I said, a reboot will clear it up for a while until it randomly happens again weeks later.

I've fresh installed on this computer so it's not an upgrade issue.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
I would run a diagnostic on that specific drive.

Ok I've done a test with the seagate tool (SMART test) and it passes. An error scan in windows comes up with nothing, and an error scan in HD Tune comes up as 0.0% damaged blocks.

If there's another tool I should be using let me know.

Darren

Staff member
SMART tests are kinda useless and a hard drive can be failing long before it throws a SMART error. Run the Seatools long generic test for a thorough check of every sector. Windows check isn't great either, although I haven't heard of HD Tune

speedyink

VIP Member
SMART tests are kinda useless and a hard drive can be failing long before it throws a SMART error. Run the Seatools long generic test for a thorough check of every sector. Windows check isn't great either, although I haven't heard of HD Tune

I didn't see a whole lot of info when it finished, just 'Long Generic - Pass'. Luckily this program seems to keep the logs, so if there's something else I should have looked at I should be able to bring it up without rescanning.

Like I said, I think it's something with Windows. I did some googling and stumbled across this post which also explains the problem I was having with Explorer jumping to the top of the page all the time:
https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/7009-file-explorer-extremely-slow-unstable.html

Which contained this suggestion:
https://www.howtogeek.com/219936/how-to-disable-quick-access-in-file-explorer-on-windows-10/

Gonna try it out, hope that clears both those issues. Drives me nuts when Explorer jumps to the top on me, so really hope this fixes it!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What build is it? I have both 14393.0 and 14393.479 ISOs, which are around 4GB exact. The latter downloaded this weekend.
I actually used this to a fresh install the other day, I just now checked what build it is and its 14393.693. So unless there was an update after I installed than I don't know what build it was.

Jiniix

That's the most current version atm. .576 -> .693 should be a 1GB update, as far as I can see. So it makes sense.

Dimitri

I'm having troulbe with Win10 updates.

I tried the group policy method to change the update policy and I set it to "allow local admin to change..." and I click update (so that it would take) but it still says "updates will be downloaded automatically" and I can't change squat.

Then I set it to "notify me" and it STILL says "updates will be downloaded automaticall."

I even tried to set it to "notify" with Winaero Tweaker, but even that didn't take.

HOWEVER, some days ago I got notified that this update is available:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - February 2017 (KB890830).

And it WASN'T installed automatically. Matter of fact, I've been avoiding it for a while now :) Periodically I'll get a message that says something like "Updates need to be installed" but I can close it.

Trouble is, there's no way for me to just dismiss this update and tell Win to not ever download it, furthermore, I imagine that when ANOTHER update comes, one that I DO need and want, I won't be able to install it without also installing this thing I don't want.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm having troulbe with Win10 updates.

I tried the group policy method to change the update policy and I set it to "allow local admin to change..." and I click update (so that it would take) but it still says "updates will be downloaded automatically" and I can't change squat.

Then I set it to "notify me" and it STILL says "updates will be downloaded automaticall."

I even tried to set it to "notify" with Winaero Tweaker, but even that didn't take.

HOWEVER, some days ago I got notified that this update is available:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - February 2017 (KB890830).

And it WASN'T installed automatically. Matter of fact, I've been avoiding it for a while now :) Periodically I'll get a message that says something like "Updates need to be installed" but I can close it.

Trouble is, there's no way for me to just dismiss this update and tell Win to not ever download it, furthermore, I imagine that when ANOTHER update comes, one that I DO need and want, I won't be able to install it without also installing this thing I don't want.
The only version of 10 that you can set not to install updates is windows 10 pro.