windows 8 beta is now out

DMGrier

VIP Member
So for me Windows 8 is going good so far but one of the problems I keep running into is the new internet explorer. It is fast and has added spell check which I really enjoy but I cannot figure out how to get to my favorite list or even save my favorites on it. It is a little confusing.

User0one

Why don't you just Add the Menu Bar, then it will be more like old IE versions. Otherwise Favorites are hidden under the Star.

NyxCharon

Upgraded to this from windows 7 today. Used the dev preview before, didn't like it. Still don't like it. Only upgraded from 7 because of a serious java problem, and I didn't want to wipe and re install.

wolfeking

banned
So why not simply use Windows XP and all your troubles will be over?:D
Not everyone has this option. I don't know what his specs are, but I know for Nvidia they do not have XP drivers for above the GTX460m. This includes the GTX470m, GTX580m, and the whole GT(x) 500 line. I am not sure for AMD or other components, but I think most manufacturers are missing the XP driver support these days. Sad day, but it is coming.
Pretty sure I can't downgrade from windows 7. I was trying to avoid a clean install.
Is that personal opinion, or lack of driver support?

spirit

Staff member
S.T.A.R.S. said:
So why not simply use Windows XP and all your troubles will be over?
XP is not really suited for modern hardware. The guy states he has a GT540M and an i5 in his signature - why would you want to run XP on an i5? I think the problems with Java the guy is having is probably more to do with conflicting software and/or bad Java installs than it is to do with his OS, in which case downgrading to XP won't help.

MyCattMaxx

When I had issues with Java on W7, I uninstalled all the Java, then cleaned the registry, then reinstalled the newest Java and all was great.

NyxCharon

Is that personal opinion, or lack of driver support?

I couldn't do a clean install simply because I don't have the space. I have about 500GB's of data that I have nowhere to put until I can get another storage drive to put in my computer. Because of that, I just migrated to win8, and simply kept my files and just reinstalled all my programs.

XP is not really suited for modern hardware. The guy states he has a GT540M and an i5 in his signature - why would you want to run XP on an i5? I think the problems with Java the guy is having is probably more to do with conflicting software and/or bad Java installs than it is to do with his OS, in which case downgrading to XP won't help.

Yeah, It was just bad java installs. OS doesn't matter, I just needed to wipe/upgrade and get something fresh. Sadly, wipe wasn't a option

When I had issues with Java on W7, I uninstalled all the Java, then cleaned the registry, then reinstalled the newest Java and all was great.
tried it. Uninstalled all my jre's and jdk's, and cleaned the registry. Re-installed, and my browser stuff started working again, but any java programs just wouldn't.

wolfeking

banned
I couldn't do a clean install simply because I don't have the space. I have about 500GB's of data that I have nowhere to put until I can get another storage drive to put in my computer. Because of that, I just migrated to win8, and simply kept my files and just reinstalled all my programs.
ok, fair enough. And I did not take time to read your siggy either. Even if you did go to XP, you would not have driver support for the 540m, so not a good option at all.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Yeah, It was just bad java installs. OS doesn't matter, I just needed to wipe/upgrade and get something fresh. Sadly, wipe wasn't a option
tried it. Uninstalled all my jre's and jdk's, and cleaned the registry. Re-installed, and my browser stuff started working again, but any java programs just wouldn't.

I really don't see what's the rush.Windows 8 is not finished operating system and it is just a beta.And using beta operating systems is never a good idea and no wonder why you might have problems.I am not saying everyone has problems with Windows 8,but many people do.Windows 8 is under the development and you should wait until it's completely finished and THEN use it.Until then use Windows 7 or whichever you prefer.

NyxCharon

I really don't see what's the rush.Windows 8 is not finished operating system and it is just a beta.And using beta operating systems is never a good idea and no wonder why you might have problems.I am not saying everyone has problems with Windows 8,but many people do.Windows 8 is under the development and you should wait until it's completely finished and THEN use it.Until then use Windows 7 or whichever you prefer.

I haven't a problem yet with windows 8, I just don't like it. At least the metro aspect of it. All my problems were with windows 7. Honestly, if it wasn't for gaming and some schoolwork I'd be linux only.

DMGrier

VIP Member
The way I look at it like this, this last year or more we have seen some big UI changes and honestly I think Windows 8 is the only one that has been getting positive reviews. I like it but Like S.T.A.R.S. said it is a Beta. It still has a lot of work to go and I am curious to see what the future is going to be. I am excited to see the update for my phone cause I guess Zune is being phased out and I see the new music player but it currently does support my phone.

spirit

Staff member
S.T.A.R.S. said:
I really don't see what's the rush.Windows 8 is not finished operating system and it is just a beta.And using beta operating systems is never a good idea and no wonder why you might have problems
I agree. I think Windows 8 has been rushed out too soon, Windows 7 isn't even 3 years old yet and it is perfectly usable. Microsoft tend to rush new products out before the old ones have really taken, I mean, they're planning on bringing in Office 15 Beta this summer, and most people have only just upgraded to Office 2010. It's getting kind of ridiculous now.

DMGrier said:
I like it but Like S.T.A.R.S. said it is a Beta. It still has a lot of work to go and I am curious to see what the future is going to be.
When the Release Candidate is released shortly before the final product goes on sale, I will download it and see if anything has improved.

I forgot to say I was intrigued to see the bootscreen in Windows 8 CP now some weird fish (or something of the like) on it and the default wallpaper is the same. Why?

DMGrier

VIP Member
The weird fish is a Beta, so it is kind of a creative things from Windows with them saying this is a Beta without calling it a Beta.

2048Megabytes

I agree. I think Windows 8 has been rushed out too soon, Windows 7 isn't even 3 years old yet and it is perfectly usable. Microsoft tend to rush new products out before the old ones have really taken, I mean, they're planning on bringing in Office 15 Beta this summer, and most people have only just upgraded to Office 2010. It's getting kind of ridiculous now.

Microsoft Office 2007 is such a great program. Office 2010 didn't add too many more features. Pretty much Microsoft just rearranged the graphic user interface from Office 2007. I think a lot of businesses are just going to stick with Office 2007 for several more years.

Windows 7 is definitely in it's prime. I am likely going to hold on to the Windows 7 operating system for at least another 5 years. I just upgraded from Windows XP. Windows XP is definitely a dying operating system.