windows 8 beta is now out

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Windows XP is definitely a dying operating system.

HOW DARE YOU?!
Be-angry.jpg

Say that one more time and I will do this with your Windows 7 computer:
angry-computer-large.jpg

And yes I am serious :D:D:D:D:D:D

spirit

Staff member
2048Megabytes said:
Windows XP is definitely a dying operating system.
I'm sorry S.T.A.R.S., but you can't deny the truth, XP will be 11 years old this year and very soon most software will require at least Vista SP2 to run. XP is kind of becoming obsolete now and it really is showing its age, so I'd say 2048Megabytes is definitely right here. XP's had a long run, I think it's time you moved on.

You can't punch my Windows 7 laptop though because I'm actually on a desktop and I don't own a laptop anymore. :D and if you punched through my monitor your fist would hit a solid wall. :)

wolfeking

banned
I think it's time you moved on.
I am going to have to agree with him here. Stars that is. As long as XP will boot, and I don't really have a need for anything else I will keep a XP partition on my machine. I don't see the need for a newer version. I do keep Vista SP2 around, but that is more for networking (seems easier, but 2000 was easiest).

MyCattMaxx

I am a XP fan, but I find that I use it less as time goes on.
Much in the same way I weaned away from 98se to XP.

Des_Zac

I honestly have to say, (Don't hurt me) I really like it. I'm running it on my laptop, and while this touch pen doesn't work, I find it really nice. The quick search feature is very easy to access so I don't need to have a start menu, the metro menu makes it really easy to get from program to desktop, and it's compatible with all the Windows 7 programs I've tried with it, even games. I don't have any problems with it really. I find it very nice.

I plan on installing it on my desktop too.

*Holds up shield to protect self from all the hate*

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Des_Zac said:
I honestly have to say, (Don't hurt me) I really like it. I'm running it on my laptop
Interesting. Most of us guys round here including myself have tired it on a desktop and found it to be very "desktop unfriendly". Windows 8 seems to have a hatred for the mouse at the moment. I had suspected it was aimed more towards laptops/tablets so it's interesting to hear that a laptop user likes the OS.

Des_Zac said:
it's compatible with all the Windows 7 programs I've tried with it, even games.
I tried it with a bunch of modern programs such as Visual Studio 2010 and Office 2010 and that latest VLC Media Player and they worked fine so the compatibility is there. I just don't really like the whole Metro UI and the fact that it's very tablet friendly but very desktop un-friendly.

And S.T.A.R.S., I gather that you love Windows XP, but I think all the pictures are perhaps a bit OTT.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I like all Windows operating systems as I already said before.
It's just that Windows 98 and Windows XP are somehow the best to me simply because I find them easy to use and the way things are organized is very good...at least to me.
And yes as I already said before,I more like the look from Windows 95 than the look from Windows 7 or 8.
Call me SUPER-OLD fashion if you want lol,but I just like that a lot more.

Windows 7 and 8 really are great.They really are.I guess I just got used to the previous organization of things and the way tihngs work so I guess there is nothing that can change that lol.

WINDOWS 98 and XP FOREVER!!!

And hey let's be honest.What kind of Windows is that if you don't have THIS:
windows_ee9ce2_116708.gif

That is the MOST BEAUTIFUL part of Windows xD xD xD
Hopefully Microsoft will include BSODs in new Windows OS xD xD xD

I am crazy I know xD

spirit

Staff member
S.T.A.R.S. said:
And hey let's be honest.What kind of Windows is that if you don't have THIS:
Image not working for me. :/

S.T.A.R.S. said:
Hopefully Microsoft will include BSODs in new Windows OS xD xD xD
Oh yeah! Windows 8 has an "all new" BSOD! It looks like this. I saw the new BSOD many times with the Developer Preview but in my experience the Consumer Preview has been much more stable and I haven't seen it once...yet. ;)

S.T.A.R.S. said:
I am crazy I know xD
You don't say.

Seriously, you're like this at 21, what were you like as a kid?

claptonman

Simple registry fix gives you the start menu.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Change "RPEnabled" to 0, and restart. Bam, windows 7.

MyCattMaxx

tremmor

Now im curious. I never installed a beta before. If i did and when it was on the market can i just buy the key and good and receive the install disc for retail?
Or would I be required to go buy it and a clean install.

MyCattMaxx

I suspect you will be able to buy the key and download the iso from Microsoft.
I suspect there will different prices for the different versions they will release.
I read somewhere there will be about 8 versions.
I will do a clean install once I decide to buy it, but I suspect you may be able to do an over the top install.