windows vs mac vs linux vs other

slim

I dont think threads like this are very productive.

X vs. Y means nothing.
X vs. Y at Z means something.

Examples:

Windows vs Ubuntu for an enterprise office environment
Windows vs Mac OSX for personal entertainment
Windows vs Linux for security
Linux vs Mac OSX for availability of software packages
Windows vs Linux for User-Interface development

DMGrier

VIP Member
have you heard of a os called Cent OS

Yes, it is a free enterprise OS built on RHEL, it is basically the last edition of RHEL but unless you are running a business you do not need a enterprise edition OS.

I like Ubuntu, I am currently running Linux Mint 12 and I am in love, do not know for how long though. It is built on Ubuntu but I use less memory then Ubuntu, better battery life and a far better U/I. I am though a bit of a Ubuntu fan boy though so I might go back.

Slim, we can talk about whatever we want no matter how unproductive it is cause that is how chill this form is, if you don't like it then don't bother reading it.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I was just giving it some thought and I may be wrong but you know who might just become a larger possibility of becoming larger then Ubuntu? openSuse, with there suse studio the amount of software that is being developed for it will rival Debian and anyone that learned how to use Yahst knows how amazing it is.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
how much hard drive memory does ubuntu use up

I have Ubuntu 10.04-desktop-x64 on my HP G72 split onto two partitions-- 30GB / (root) and 40GB /home.

I have >6GB space used on my /home partition, and at the moment I am only using 15% of my root drive, though there are times (when my backup program is misbehaving) when my root drive gets absolutely full (you do not want to be there).

So, for the 64-bit Ubuntu desktop, I'd say 50-60GB would work just fine, as long as you aren't storing a metric butt-load of music and videos on it (for the record, I store all my music on a separate partition, some 40GB worth).

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Usually 60GB for root is way overkill - if you mount /var and /tmp in separate partitions (I have 10GB for each though I've never seen either go above 30%), you could easily get away with 12GB for / (I have 16GB for my root partition on F16 and it's using about ~70% with a fair amount of software installed - Arch on ancient machine is using about 3GB IIRC).

DMGrier

VIP Member
how much hard drive memory does ubuntu use up

It use to be 6 GB and I am sure it has not grown to much since then when I checked last. Ubuntu uses less HDD space then Windows, uses less memory, less cpu, better security and multi tasking superiority. Not to mention thousands of free software out there for it in your software center.

I like Windows 7, best job they have done so far but I have far less issues with Ubuntu in reliable and security M$.

salvage-this

I like Ubuntu, I am currently running Linux Mint 12 and I am in love, do not know for how long though. It is built on Ubuntu but I use less memory then Ubuntu, better battery life and a far better U/I. I am though a bit of a Ubuntu fan boy though so I might go back.

How close to Ubuntu is LM 12? I have been meaning to leave standard Ubuntu but So far I have not found one that I really like. I still like the nice looking GUI but I am not a fan of what the later versions of Ubuntu are like.

DMGrier

VIP Member
LM12 is built directly on Ubuntu, it has more media apps in its software center. They are the same under the hood. The only thing that I find annoying about LM12 is it basically has two U/I's on top of each other, It has the LM12 U/I and gnome 3 so there are two ways two do things on there. It does feel a little buggy compared to Ubuntu, but it does use slightly less resources to run. You could also try Linux Mint Debian.

salvage-this

Sounds like I might like it. I looked at the Debian version and it says that it is not compatible with Ubuntu at all. So I think that I am going to stick with the regular version and see how it feels.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
Yeah it is not built on Ubuntu, it is Debian with a Mint U/I basically but still has the software center for ease of use.

Do not know if this is true but I have read that Ubuntu has a little Debian left in it's build, it has been for sometime branching out.

Last edited:

Perkomate

i run Ubuntu on most of my computers, with the exceptions being Ubuntu on a laptop and desktop, and a Mac dual booting OS X and ubuntu. Ubuntu's perfect for internet browsing, Mac is great for music and Windows rocks for gaems and most other things.

wolfeking

banned
it is a linux distro that is programmed to run on the old PPC (G3, G4, and G5) mac processors. Most of them are mainly legacy now. I am not sure of the nomenclature carried over to the Intel macs, but they (intel macs) run the same code as any other PC, so a specialized distro is not needed. Bootmanagers are different for a mac though.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Yeah it is pretty good, I like Ubuntu but I have been doing a lot of testing cause all the distro's have put new stuff out. opensuse was nice but kind of glitchy, Fedora ran like a champ and used the least amount of resources but was missing a few key features. Ubuntu and LM12 are almost on the same playing field but Ubuntu seems to run a little bit faster while LM12 uses less hardware.