windows vs mac vs linux vs other

NyxCharon

DMGrier, have you ever done a build from scratch or close to it? Like starting from a net install, or doing something like a gentoo build? It's a bit of work, but you can get pretty fast with it, especially if you can figure out what you want and make a script for it. Anyways, it's pretty fun, and you can get what you want, with usually a lot of resources left free and unused. Just curious.

salvage-this

Not to butt in between you and DMGrier here but I was looking at doing that myself. I just have one question, I like the fancier UIs. Would that be harder to implement if you were to do one of the gentoo builds?

turbodiesel

i just upgraded my windows xp laptop (Dell Latitude D530) to windows Vista business if your wondering why i upgraded to probabaly the worst windows OS ever made was because i want to learn windows Vista .

but at the end of the day its not to bad.

NyxCharon

Not to butt in between you and DMGrier here but I was looking at doing that myself. I just have one question, I like the fancier UIs. Would that be harder to implement if you were to do one of the gentoo builds?

Nope. I'll tell you now, a gentoo build can be a long, frustrating process. However, if you can just follow instructions, and have the time for it, you'll be fine. They have a step by step for pretty much everything. You'll get the base build installed, and from there branch off into whatever you want to implement as a window manager, etc. I would advise doing your first one in a VM though, until you get your feet wet and know what to do. :good:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
It took me 2 weeks to get Gentoo to a somewhat working state last time I tried it - compiling and setting up KDE was the easy part. I ended up installing Vista (it was for a family computer and there were a few programs that needed Windows).

Would do again if I had a spare computer lying around.

DMGrier

VIP Member
DMGrier, have you ever done a build from scratch or close to it? Like starting from a net install, or doing something like a gentoo build? It's a bit of work, but you can get pretty fast with it, especially if you can figure out what you want and make a script for it. Anyways, it's pretty fun, and you can get what you want, with usually a lot of resources left free and unused. Just curious.

Did it with Arch, not bad. Might be giving it a try again soon.

wolfeking

banned
i just upgraded my windows xp laptop (Dell Latitude D530) to windows Vista business if your wondering why i upgraded to probabaly the worst windows OS ever made was because i want to learn windows Vista .

but at the end of the day its not to bad.
I think it is unanimous that ME was the worst windows release ever used. Vista isn't really that bad, especially when you know what your ding. Security wise, its better than XP, but has way to many holes. Be sure you use a good AV program.

turbodiesel

i have installed avast and comodo (free) on it the first to times avast didn't want to install then on the 3rd it did no problems with comodo firewall apart from it automatically installed geekbuddy

turbodiesel

i had this weird problem on my laptop this is why i put Vista on.
i did a system restore because i accidently removed my wireless driver my pc finished the system restore shutdown by itself then i booted it up it booted up fine i got to the user name and pass typed it in and it stayed on the logging on screen for ages i safe booted it then no problems. So i did a normal boot fine managed to get logged on and my avast antivirus or comodo were stuck they couldnt start up. so i just thought "well its got a license for windows vista business and i do want to test and see what windows vista is like". So i installed vista busiess and thats why im running Vista right now but i will probably put xp back on soon.

NyxCharon

Did it with Arch, not bad. Might be giving it a try again soon.

It's a lot of work, but you really can't get a faster system. In the case of gentoo, each program is compiled from source for your specific hardware, so your really can't beat that. :p

I abandoned it after a while though, it's just so much work, and compiling all that software can take a very, very long time.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
SO RELAX MAN!!!!!

:D:D:D:mad::D:D:D

It's a lot of work........and compiling all that software can take a very, very long time.

Oh God I hate that word COMPILING...I did not sleep for the past 2 days and 3 stinky nights because I made like...60 TEST projects and compiled them all for tons of times to test and TRY to find out why ANY SMTP servers do not work in my UAC project on which I am working for about 7 months.It is weird because the huge programming code I wrote in the UAC project was working and now all of a sudden it cannot output anything on ANY SMTP servers so I was like "WTF IS GOING ON MAN?!":D
And at the end after SO MUCH torture and headaches I found out it was not my fault.It was that people here in Croatia country at T-COM made so freaking stupid rule that we cannot use ANY outside SMTP servers to send anything using local programs from HDD unless if we use THEIR SMTP servers which of course we need to pay for a LOT more and logically they make money on that.Nah!...Bastards!:D
The point is...after I found out that I lost 2 days and 3 nights on NOTHNG and that I was not doing ANYTHING wrong and that it was NOT MY FAULT AT ALL,I wanted to shoot myself lmao!Because I was so tired,I wasn't sleeping,my eyes were RED lol and I lost so much time on thing for which I thought I was doing wrong and I was actually doing everything correct hahaha!!!So for the next 10 days I don't wanna hear for the word COMPILING lol...I am sick of it xD
Man...it sucks so much when you lose so much time fixing the problem and you are actually doing everything correct xD...You really gotta love programming lol xD

DMGrier

VIP Member
It's a lot of work, but you really can't get a faster system. In the case of gentoo, each program is compiled from source for your specific hardware, so your really can't beat that. :p

I abandoned it after a while though, it's just so much work, and compiling all that software can take a very, very long time.

Yeah, That is why I stopped with Arch, once you get it right it is easy and fast but when it is time to do something new it is a pain in my rear.

I have been wanting to install Debian for a while now but I have so many problems with the install, for some reason it has issues connecting to the Internet. For some reason when I type in the SSID it can't find the network.

DMGrier

VIP Member
So I just installed LMDE, not to bad if I might say, I tried to install Debian but it would not work with my wifi card again :(, not much I can do I guess. So I installed LMDE which from what I read is suppose to be Debian with Linux Mint U/I and some extra driver support. So far very impressed, faster then LM12, using far less resources. I am currently only using 2% cpu and 250 MB of memory when my computer is at idle. It is running the most current Linux Kernel but using the old gnome U/I which I miss the easy appearence settings.

Only issue I have ran into was upon install I tried to run the update manager and half way through it did not install the updates and shut down, no big deal cause I just update manually through terminal, pretty easy.

Just thought some of you might have been interested in this, remember that this is not a six month release. It is a rolling release.

Des_Zac

Kinda between OS X and Windows XP-> for me, I much prefer OS X, but just because of compatibility I have to use Windows, but if it wasn't for that I'd be 100% OS X.