windows vs mac vs linux vs other

Perkomate

IMO windows = linux while > OS X.
Windows is killer cause it plays games, and linux is killer cause it's ultra fast and customisable. OS X is neither in my view.

turbodiesel

i agree there Windows is great because you can play games on it

and linux is fast

i found this website callled suse studio on it you can make youre own custom linux

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
is it really true that SP3 on xp slows it down

No.
The ONLY thing that slows down ANY system no matter WHICH OS you use is if you do a lot of bullsh!t on it and you do not know what you are doing lol.Many people complain that their system is slow and in the same time they fill the registry with God knows what...well of course it will work slow then lol.

i dont see that happening, but saw .net updates really make my friends laptop bog down

That is because people install TONS of .NET updates when not neccessary even for those .NETs which they do not even have installed lol.And people expect for system to work great after applying tons of unneccessary updates...lol...

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
That is because people install TONS of .NET updates when not neccessary even for those .NETs which they do not even have installed lol.And people expect for system to work great after applying tons of unneccessary updates...lol...
But of course they do. An user, even more technically inclined one, shouldn't be expected to decide which ones from the ~50 important, poorly described updates are necessary. I do recall us having a similar conversation before, though.

zeke1312

I'll jump in here with my opinion. Yep, it's the "I like Ford's you like Chevy's" syndrome. I've been on Windows for many years. Recently I installed Linux Mint 12 and have been loading and configuring the OS to mimic my W7 setup. So far I like how quickly LM12 connects to the Internet. Easy and fast, not slow and clunky as on W7. The idea the OS and many apps are free is great. I'm still trying to get the hang of th Linux folder/file system. Right now it's hard to find stuff. Right now it's"up in the air" for me as to which is better.

Now here's one. I've tried with no success to install the new Commodore OS Vision 1.0. I can get to run from the DVD I created but it will not install to disk. I understand several people have installed it on their PC. The OS is free and can be downloaded from CommodoreUSA. Great graphics including 3D...neat stuff otherwise. If I could get it to run I'd be typing on it right now. It does look good as anOS.;)

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
But of course they do. An user, even more technically inclined one, shouldn't be expected to decide which ones from the ~50 important, poorly described updates are necessary. I do recall us having a similar conversation before, though.

If you are a .NET developer or have many applications or games which depend on .NET framework then of course you will have it,but otherwise you do not need it.
Let's say you are .NET 1.0 developer and have applications which need ONLY .NET 1.0 then you will have ONLY .NET 1.0 installed,but not all other .NETs too lol...if it's not neccessary then don't install it...Those who do that for no reason and later complain their system is slow...well...they deserve to have a very slow system then lol...

wolfeking

banned
any body here used suse studio before

i have used it before it is very fun to use shame it deletes your OS's after a week :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I used it back in 2010 appearantly. I forgot all about it. Going to create me a openSUSE build on it to use till I get a crunchbang disk made.

DMGrier

VIP Member
the only problem is when you boot it up it says created with SUSE studio

which is quite annoying

From what I know there is a way to build your OS in suse studio and then when you open it and burn a copy of your OS where you can make it separate from suse studio and then install it, like I said chromium was developed in suse studio cause I remember first using the chromium OS in suse studio and hexxah has there chromium build out for a while now and it does not say suse studio when you install it.

DMGrier

VIP Member
editing the splash screen, it use to be kind of easy on gnome 2.xx but I heard it can be a little glitchy today. I don't use gnome anymore anyway unless I am testing a distro where it is prefered but openSuse with KDE is very nice. If I continued to use gnome it would be Linux Mint with then to continue to develop gnome 2.xx.

It has to be possible though, I know a guy in the opensuse community that uses suse studio to build OEM copies of opensuse and if I may say does a great job at it.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I have been noticing some people on here talking about using crunch bang, have zero experience with it and it seems like a lot of work to use but maybe beneficial. I might check it out. Have been playing with Linux Mint 12, very nice and even though built on Ubuntu seems to be a bit faster and smoother.

I prefer opensuse just cause of KDE and Yahst2.

NyxCharon

I have been noticing some people on here talking about using crunch bang, have zero experience with it and it seems like a lot of work to use but maybe beneficial. I might check it out. Have been playing with Linux Mint 12, very nice and even though built on Ubuntu seems to be a bit faster and smoother.

I prefer opensuse just cause of KDE and Yahst2.

Was a crunchbang #! user of several years, until about 2 days ago when i started my distro.
Low resource
minimalist
very customizable

It's not a novice distro, but it's not a advanced one either. In terms of knowledge needed to effectively run it, probably a 5/10.
The also have to have the most helpful and knowledgeable distro forum I've ever been on.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well I checked out your distro earlier and looks good but I also think I read that it is unstable? Would be interested if it could be a stable release which I understand this all takes time. if anything keep us posted on the progress of your distro.

NyxCharon

Well I checked out your distro earlier and looks good but I also think I read that it is unstable? Would be interested if it could be a stable release which I understand this all takes time. if anything keep us posted on the progress of your distro.

Yeah. The version(0.0.1) on sourceforge is the initial release, it's pretty much only good for vm testing. I've progressed several stages, but I haven't been able to upload them, connection at home is horrible compared to school.

Current version(0.1.0) is installable, and should support all standard video cards/chipsets with generic drivers. Internet is a bit wonky after installing, working on that right now. When I have something that's usable for most users, I'll make a thread or something. Most likely sometime next week, if all works out correctly.