WTB: Ati 4850 (willing to trade)

linkin

VIP Member
My birthday is 12 days away and i'll be getting some money, and i'll be needing a new graphics crad. Anyone have a 4850 or 9800GT sitting around? I'll pay in full or if you want i'll trade my 3870 along with some money. I'll only trade locally though (in NSW) but i'll take non-trade offers from anywhere.

Last edited:

87dtna

I'm thinking his board only supports SLI not crossfire. Well then, my gts250 is looking better and better for you.

What else do you have for trades?

linkin

VIP Member
You guys don't know the difference between sli and corssfire do you :p

SLI = nVidia
Crossfire = Ati

My motherboard only supports SLI.

87dtna

I looked up his motherboard after I posted about another 3870. He just happen to be online before I could edit that lol.

OP- If thats the case than you definitely don't want a 4850 at all. It's barely an upgrade at all, and you can't XF so there's no headroom besides overclocking.

87dtna

We all posted around the same time, any i was thinking maybe 2x 9800GT's (i can buy one and get another bought for me. birthdays are great!)

A gts250 is only $20-30 more than a 9800gt new and performs a lot better.

Whats your price range anyway? I'm open to trades.

87dtna

Have anything else to trade? Ram, hard drives, Sata dvd burners/roms, flash drives, etc. I don't really have use for a 3870, my 9600gt is about the same performance and uses a lot less power.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
Have anything else to trade? Ram, hard drives, Sata dvd burners/roms, flash drives, etc. I don't really have use for a 3870, my 9600gt is about the same performance and uses a lot less power.

Well I have a socket 478 P4 and 3 sticks of DDR memory... not much use really.
I have a 2gb lexar thumbdrive but i kinda need it.
I have one spare stick of DDR2 memory. 512mb 533mhz
I have a functioning IDE CD reader (not burner :()

Also, how many power connectors does the GTS 250 have? by the way, the 3870 has DX10.1 and SM4.1 which has better performance with AA over DX10 and SM4.0

An 8800GT sounds tempting, but i'd really like a 9800gt due to the die shrink.

Last edited:

mac550

You guys don't know the difference between sli and corssfire do you :p

SLI = nVidia
Crossfire = Ati

My motherboard only supports SLI.

thats smart, running a ATI video controller on a board designed for nVidia :rolleyes:
that just as bad as running a 32bit OS on a 64 bit CPU

StrangleHold

Staff member
thats smart, running a ATI video controller on a board designed for nVidia :rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with running a single ATI/AMD card on a Nvidia chipset or the other way around. I got a Nvidia card running a AMD chipset.

that just as bad as running a 32bit OS on a 64 bit CPU

Alot of people ran/run 64 bit processors on a 32 bit OS. Hell the Athlon 64 has been out since 2003. 95% of them ran on XP 32 bit or 2000, untill Vista came out and most people still have XP 32 bit.

mac550

There is nothing wrong with running a single ATI/AMD card on a Nvidia chipset or the other way around. I got a Nvidia card running a AMD chipset.

Alot of people ran/run 64 bit processors on a 32 bit OS. Hell the Athlon 64 has been out since 2003. 95% of them ran on XP 32 bit or 2000, untill Vista came out and most people still have XP 32 bit.

but if you buy a ATI GPU you may as well get all the benefits of running a AMD mobo. i aint saying its not gonna work since it cleary does but i really dont see the point.

before vista came out the was no much choice since xp64 was a total fail on M$'s part and almost nothing was supported, but since vista came out and vista 64 being quite stable (as stable as anythign from M$ can be) there really aint no point in use a 32bit OS on a 64bit OS. IMO anyone or any company that does that, A) are too lazy or too stupid to know the difference and/or and be assed to buy the right software that make to computer run as it should, B) dont know the difference between 32and 64bit architectures and C) (for companies) dont want users to be able to upgrade there systems so when that computer get slow, the user will go buy another PC since they indirectly block you from upgrading RAM

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
An 8800GT sounds tempting, but i'd really like a 9800gt due to the die shrink.

Other than the die shrink...there realy isnt much diffrence between a 88-98gt.

You can pick up a used 8800gt now for £30..bot sure what that is in aus dolars but getting two of those in sli would be great and still cheaper than a 4850.