WTB: Ati 4850 (willing to trade)

linkin

VIP Member
True, but then i'd need a new PSU that has at least one 6pin connector (i'm currently using an adapter) and that would probably run the cost up to the price of a 4850.

I would like to match nvidia with nvidia though.

Ethan, how much you want for the 8800GT? also what brand, model, specs etc. I'd prefer to have 2 identical cards running for SLI. :) But for now a single 8800GT would be great.

Also, could i SLI an 8800gt with a 9800gt? Aren't they the same G92 chip?

I will have money soon because my birthday is only 11 days away, Which means I can get that 8800GT of yours and possibly a new PSU... Along with the CM Storm Scout one of my parents will be buying me.

Last edited:

87dtna

thats smart, running a ATI video controller on a board designed for nVidia :rolleyes:
that just as bad as running a 32bit OS on a 64 bit CPU

LOL, this comment is super hilarious. Nvidia GPU's have been proven to work better on ATI chipsets than ATI with ATI.

BTW, your motherboard supports 8gb of RAM how come you are only running 6? :rolleyes: That pretty much sums up your argument.

Last edited:

87dtna

Also, could i SLI an 8800gt with a 9800gt? Aren't they the same G92 chip?

Yeah they are the exact same thing. Once again though, you're going to SLI two 8800/9800gt's which will put you only a hair above the performance of a single gts250, and use a lot more power to do it. I know it sounds like I'm simply hell-bent on selling my gts250, but I can assure you I have YOUR best interests at heart.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
but if you buy a ATI GPU you may as well get all the benefits of running a AMD mobo. i aint saying its not gonna work since it cleary does but i really dont see the point.

If you not running SLI or C/F it makes no difference. We are talking single cards, What benefits are you talking about. If you like AMD chipsets and Nvidia Cards or the other way around it will not effect performance at all.

before vista came out the was no much choice since xp64 was a total fail on M$'s part and almost nothing was supported, but since vista came out and vista 64 being quite stable (as stable as anythign from M$ can be) there really aint no point in use a 32bit OS on a 64bit OS. IMO anyone or any company that does that, A) are too lazy or too stupid to know the difference and/or and be assed to buy the right software that make to computer run as it should, B) dont know the difference between 32and 64bit architectures and C) (for companies) dont want users to be able to upgrade there systems so when that computer get slow, the user will go buy another PC since they indirectly block you from upgrading RAM

Vista wasnt released till 2007. More people still run XP 32 bit more then any other OS. 64 bit didnt become popular till people wanted more then 4GB of memory. But most of that above was just jibberish.

Fatback

VIP Member
You should just take the money that your going to spend on two cards for SLI and just spend it on one good card. A 4870 or GTX 260 would be a huge upgrade for you. Getting a 4850 will probably only give you an extra 20fps and a GTS 250 will maybe give you 25-30fps more. Getting two 8800/9800gt isn't going to help you much. Not until more games support multiple video cards.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OVERCLOCKED-..._Components?hash=item3355b7a032#ht_3515wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XFX-HD-4870-...ents?hash=item45ee4b0556&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

linkin

VIP Member
Now i'm torn bewteen doing SLI or buying a single card...

How much would you want for the GTS 250? I think i asked already but does it use only 1 6pin connector?

EDIT: I posted in your thread.

Fatback

VIP Member
Now i'm torn bewteen doing SLI or buying a single card...

How much would you want for the GTS 250? I think i asked already but does it use only 1 6pin connector?

The GTS 250 uses one PCIe connector like the 4850. It dosen't use much more power then the 4850 maybe 20w more. He said he wanted $90 USD for it off the top of my head I guess that $120 AU(not really sure) + shipping.

mx344

A 4850 will only be a slight upgrade, and a 9800gt will be the same performance as your 3870.

The 3870 isnt as good as the 9800GT, the the 4850 would probably not be the best upgrade, because the 3870 is a pretty decent card, so th minimum upgrade i would go is a 4870 or 5770.

athe 5770 is a quite a bit better than the 4850.

The 5770 is almost identical in performance to the 4870 but uses alot less energy.

linkin

VIP Member
I may buy a 5770 then...

EDIT: I'm going to get the sapphire HD 5770 1gb from pc case gear, or maybe buzz1927 will have a better deal ;)

Last edited:

87dtna

I have my gts250 fpr 90 shipped in the states. I'll do $98 usd shipped to you in AU which is taking some off cuz it will cost a good bit to ship.

Why are you still looking at ATI cards anyway???

87dtna

Nah I probably wouldn't see but a 5-10fps increase. Maybe when the new chipsets comes out that allow you to have a Nvidia and ATI work together or whatever.

Yeah for someone that has a 4850 I certainly wouldn't suggest buying a gts250 at all.

Well, it would really be nice if ATI boards would support SLI, or is that what you meant?

linkin

VIP Member
Ok everyone, I'm just going to shell out on my birthday and buy a 5770, CM Storm Scout, and possibly some nice accessories!