• Windows XP

Votes: 47 58.8%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 33 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

X2BreakOfFate

Yeah guys, really... if xp and vista were realeased at the same time. And all of the computers could run both. Everyone would have chose vista. You're all making it to difficult. Vista really is, really really easy. Everything about it is. Xp is far more complicated for a normal user to set up a network and do anything to customize his or her pc. in vista, its just there. and if you cant find it, type it in the instant search.

patrickv

Yeah guys, really... if xp and vista were realeased at the same time. And all of the computers could run both. Everyone would have chose vista. You're all making it to difficult. Vista really is, really really easy. Everything about it is. Xp is far more complicated for a normal user to set up a network
you never seize to amaze me X2BreakOfFate, do a poll here and let's vote.
lets vote to see which OS (xp or vista) is better at networking, and i tell you Xp will win !! why ? i dunno.
vista is easy ,yes, agreed, but configuration is the problem, way too many unneeded options
and do anything to customize his or her pc.
what do you mean by that ? care to elaborate ? :p

X2BreakOfFate

Well what I mean is in XP you have almost an operating system like linux. Now i know people will get technical with this but I mean is when you start it, you can do a thousand things to customize it... will it be Windows Blinds, the uxtheme thing, changing the login screen, etc. Linux lets you do that without restictions, however vista well, restricts alot. My thing is, that if a user wants to change something in vista, grant it they have to search, but it seems like if they just snoop around in control panel for a while they can figure it out without looking online to see what something means. Idk, its just one of those feelings I get like i said about linux. I love linux, it amazes me. I dont know if its that its free, that all the software is free, that I can edit it as I please, or what... I just know that it does but everytime I install it, I hate it because I dont have photoshop, visual studio, or my zune software. (those are just three)... Its just a thing I guess that you cant explain, just when I approached vista I loved it, it was easier, simplified, and it didnt crash without explanation and a way to fix it.

PC eye

banned
While finding Vista to be far more stable in many areas then XP I still have a few grievances about the new layout and removal of certain things that were provided in older versions. Besides the add/remove Windows components option in the control panel the one improvement on the other hand was a direct link for the device manager instead of right clicking on the MyComputer icon or opening the system icon there.

Once you click on the Media Center setup in the Start>Programs you can't remove that in the control panel. With WMP 11 where are the visualizations seen in WMP 10, 9, 8? All downloads for optional visualizations are for 10 or earlier with none seen included in 11 for screen saver playback when playing an audio cd or mp3 file.

Travis30384

Well, my laptop has vista home premium. I would take windows xp professional over vista (unless ultimate) because vista has slower file transfers, and is more vulnerable to freezes, and no responces, in my use.

PC eye

banned
Well, my laptop has vista home premium. I would take windows xp professional over vista (unless ultimate) because vista has slower file transfers, and is more vulnerable to freezes, and no responces, in my use.

The main difference between Ultimate and Home Premium editions is 4 more features with 3 being for the increased networking support while the fourth is a hardware protection feature for the higher price. I just took 5gb of files and copied them from drive to drive seeing no more time then seen with XP Pro or Home editions.

Freeze ups are problems with software and device drivers provided by 3rd party sources not the OS itself. I went through enough of that lately between ATI and Creative drivers. :rolleyes:

PC eye

banned
Just think the new BSODs for Vista have the shutdown, return to program, and close program return to desktop options while XP simply gave you a memory dump! :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
Every other OS has a log file that logs errors which is pretty extensive, where as windows has a BSOD, which makes no sense still to this day.

patrickv

Every other OS has a log file that logs errors which is pretty extensive, where as windows has a BSOD, which makes no sense still to this day.

well windows also have log file of errors , from the event viewer but most people don't even bother to look at it !!:eek: , people like me !! :D

robina_80

no offence to the twats out there who think XP is better but its not, if XP was better why would Microsoft ship out a new O/S and also i bet you havnt touched Vista, or you have and cant be arsed with it

tlarkin

VIP Member
no offence to the twats out there who think XP is better but its not, if XP was better why would Microsoft ship out a new O/S and also i bet you havnt touched Vista, or you have and cant be arsed with it

no offense taken....

However, newer is not better. Windows Vista is a disappointment. It was suppose to ship with EFI support, but MS had to pull the plug on it. I actually wanted Vista to be awesome. However, really they just took the band-aid approach. Instead of fixing their OS they made everything pre-load into memory. Instead of fixing their memory management they just require more free hard disk space. Instead of fixing whatever they already have made into a better OS they just rearranged it and made it flashier. The security center alone makes me want to commit sepuku when I use Vista. I was using vista since beta RC1 via my companies MSDN subscription. I installed and have used Vista Business edition since launch.

For being 6 years in development, and costing over $300 for the Ultimate edition and limiting the features of the OS is asinine IMHO. It is like how they sell cars in the U.S. which drives me insane. Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus are the same companies and the same parts and the same engines but they just strip down features. Over in Asia there is no such thing as Acura or Lexus, there is just Honda and Toyota. Stripping down features and marketing the OS like they did is not doing what it was meant to do. It was meant to trick the consumer into buying the Ultimate edition and get every feature, when in all honesty, no home user would need to connect to a Domain Controller, nor would they need to run an encrypted file system.

Windows Vista is a let down and a disappointment. Vienna will hopefully be a lot better. EFI support was something I really wanted to see in windows. It would make so much difference. Instead, they took the band-aid approach and just required more hardware to run the OS instead of making it better. So, I can't see how anyone would say it is better than windows XP. It is the same exact thing but with a flashier UI and it preloads everything into memory. Which kind of gets on my nerves, I prefer the Linux/Unix memory management over what MS did with windows.

I was never a fanboy of any OS. I use them all and work with them all, but Vista does make me want to use OS X, and Linux a lot more now than I used to. I still have my free copy of Ultimate shrink wrapped on my desk at home. I haven't opened it and will not install it until at least SP1 comes out on Vista. It took MS two service packs to get XP right, and it took them about 4 service packs to get 2000 right. So, I do not see any reason to switch to Vista other than the fact that you want the flashy open GL UI.

Here goes a wiki page that follows the development. Look at all the features they had to drop...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_Vista#RTM

tlarkin

VIP Member
hey tlarkin have you actually run vista for a week at least?

try for over a year, since RC 1. I don't boot it very often but maybe once a week or so I boot into it and mess with it. Been running Vista Business since release in January 2007, so been using it for about 11 months now.

boostedpimp

Got my vote for dumbest post eVAR!

To simply answer your question... to make MONEY

Also.. you think newer is better? then how come ME sucked soo much compared to Win 2k? I mean ME was 7 months newer right.. so by your thinking ME should have been all that much more greater then Win2k right? but it wasn't.. it was a complete waste

patrickv

Got my vote for dumbest post eVAR!

To simply answer your question... to make MONEY

Also.. you think newer is better? then how come ME sucked soo much compared to Win 2k? I mean ME was 7 months newer right.. so by your thinking ME should have been all that much more greater then Win2k right? but it wasn't.. it was a complete waste

agreed, lol, am running away from the forum wars :p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.