Best Desktop For The Price

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any cases that are going to be smaller
Well yes there but you'll be giving up functionality and expandability. Up to you, a slightly bigger tower is worth the "cost" ... sides you can get measurements from the actual Enermax website I imagine

So that experience got me worried that I'm gonna be spending nearly 900$ on computer parts, No warranty because im making it, and hoping it will work.
The difference here is your HDD is new. His HDD is not so new. 'sides it could be something trivial like a device conflict (i.e., two devices on one chain wanting to be master)

It seemed like a million things could go wrong, and only 1 way is right.. Is this just the lack of confident from being a n00b at this?
I was there once. I dont lack confidence now. After your first tower you will sit back and realize exactly how much you've learned :) 'sides we're here for techie help

EMO-TOCROSS

Thanks I feel one hundred times better now! seriously. But one other thing, I told my friend that Im buying a computer too, like parts and Im building it, And i showed him my list of specs. He was impressed with what I could come up with, tho he diddnt like the fact I was gettting an intel pentium 4, he thinks their rip off, and that AMD is better. Whats your thoughts on this?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
tho he diddnt like the fact I was gettting an intel pentium 4, he thinks their rip off, and that AMD is better. Whats your thoughts on this?
I agree entirely. For the sub $1500 system, I'd go AMD and for the super $3000 I'd also go AMD. For everything else I'd reccomend Intel. Why? The AthlonXP is very good for its price range but it's seriously approaching the end of its active life cycle (soon it will start to become obsolete even in "avg computer" circles -- the NorthwoodC is a superior chip in almost all categories and will last longer so really its up to you. Personally I'd go AMD because I can get a very respectable amount of performance as well as have craploads of money left over for other stuff. Your call ... either way you wont be dissapointed

EMO-TOCROSS

Yeah If two out of two people who know alot about this kinda stuff, particularly you, It makes me want to go AMD. So know I need To pick out a good AMD Processor and A Good motherboard that works with it. Mind filling me in with some good ones on newegg? Thanks man!

EMO-TOCROSS

I looked at all the AMD XP Processors, and I couldnt even find one over 2.2GHz. When the Intel Pentium 4C I'm getting is 2.8GHz. What makes AMD better, I mean, there was like a AMD XP processor that was $180 dollars and had 1.8GHz. Whats that all about?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMD has a 2.4Ghz chip i think but that starts to get expensive. The

What makes AMD better, I mean, there was like a AMD XP processor that was $180 dollars and had 1.8GHz. Whats that all about?
Simply put, it's not all about clock speed. The AthlonXP is a much more efficient chip to allow it to compete with Intel considering Intel often has a 1Ghz advantage

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
They they are using the Barton Core. That's pretty much the generic indicator. If you get a Barton you wont have to think. if you get an older design then you have to think and do comparisons. Of course if you've got the budget you can get an A64 class chip. I believe I've specd a complete A64 system as Option 01 for just over $1000

EMO-TOCROSS

So basically if its using a Barton Core and is like 2.0Ghz, It kicks ass and will be as good as the Intel Pentum 4C 2.8GHz?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah something like that! :) My barton ships as 1.83Ghz but I've OCd it to 2.2Ghz and soemtimes 2.4Ghz when im in the mood :)

EMO-TOCROSS

Soo what makes it so good than if its not that fast GHz wise? I mean like compared to Intel, cuz thats quite a money drop i noticed

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
THis can be a reaaaaaaaaaaly looooooong diseration but essentially, the AMD chips are much more efficient and do the same amount of processing with a lower clock speed (kinda like shifting gears on a bike etc). But seriously, there's no "concrete" thing that makes AMD "better" than Intel ... not in the sense that you're looking for,

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not bad but I'd go for a XP2500 because its has damn near the same OC potential as the XP2800. You can take both of them easily to XP3200 and beyond. Hence the value of AMD chips :)

(just remember to get a nice fan, the Polo735 works real well)

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay so Suppose I get the AMD XP2500. Now I'm In need of a good (kick ass) motherboard thats compatible with it, cuz i've learned how important they motherboards are to the computer. My friend was telling me that the one his has had this overpower thingie where it made sure it couldnt fry itself. It sounded like a cool thing, do many motherboards have this?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome mobo (better than mine at that). You may consider not getting the "deluxe" models because often they have wierd features most people dont need (i.e., ASUS wireless etc)
:)

EMO-TOCROSS