Black Hole V2

spirit

Staff member
error ahoy! You can never release a perfect version. Even a programmer that has been programming for 70 years can never get it perfect. Nature of the beast. Man is not perfect. Nothing we can do is ever perfect, and thus you will not release a perfect benchmark (especially if it is not in C# or C++ and a project you spent years on in a large calibrative effort).
Microsoft is a fine example of "never getting it perfect". Look at XP, still loads of updates for it almost 11 years on from release date.

Current benchmark seems to work fine though? Apart from if you have an overclocked 2500K, in which case just run it twice. ;)

wolfeking

banned
Even Linux can not be perfect. Every time you fix one thing someone goes out and pokes a new whole in it. Much more prevalent in windows than linux, but all systems are that way. Get it right today and it will be long wrong by tomorrow.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah whenever I've installed Ubuntu there's always been about 80 or 90 updates to go and download and install. :( Just like Windows.

wolfeking

banned
even on release day there is a bunch. The update center is meant to keep it up to date quickly. Even with 100+ updates it has never been more than 5 minutes to update mine. Windows however, that is a 45 minute ordeal always at a minimum.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
error ahoy! You can never release a perfect version. Even a programmer that has been programming for 70 years can never get it perfect. Nature of the beast. Man is not perfect. Nothing we can do is ever perfect, and thus you will not release a perfect benchmark (especially if it is not in C# or C++ and a project you spent years on in a large calibrative effort).

I'm not saying I gonna make this the perfect benchmark, I mean the perfect version of this benchmark....

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Microsoft is a fine example of "never getting it perfect". Look at XP, still loads of updates for it almost 11 years on from release date.

Current benchmark seems to work fine though? Apart from if you have an overclocked 2500K, in which case just run it twice. ;)

2 things I gonna fix:

- if you test 2nd or 3th you'll always get better scores in the multithreaded (very unstable there, singlethreaded stays at his score)

- reduce the difference between multithreaded score and singlethreaded (the multi will still have higher scaled points, but it depends more on the cpu)

Also this new update will be official seen as benchmark, so the scores must be saying real scores.

wolfeking

banned
I'm not saying I gonna make this the perfect benchmark, I mean the perfect version of this benchmark....

And you are not reading. You can not make anything perfect. You are a human. You will screw it up. Question is by how much. And it does not matter if you are trying to be the perfect version of this one, or perfect period. Your use of the word perfect shows that you are not doing your best at this benchmark.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
And you are not reading. You can not make anything perfect. You are a human. You will screw it up. Question is by how much. And it does not matter if you are trying to be the perfect version of this one, or perfect period. Your use of the word perfect shows that you are not doing your best at this benchmark.

Man, I'm working on it whole this week. Sorry, it won't be perfect, but almost all bugs will be fixed. When I work also the whole next week on it you can be sure I worked hard. Just hoping that I don't have to fix issues for some weeks.
Trying to make it real points, whats wrong with that?

hope you understand how I see this now.

grtz smile...

wolfeking

banned
I'm not having an issue with your work, I am having an issue with your language. You could have said "much improved" over "perfect". There is no way to achieve perfection. You can always greatly improve something.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I'm not having an issue with your work, I am having an issue with your language. You could have said "much improved" over "perfect". There is no way to achieve perfection. You can always greatly improve something.

yeah, I corrected my mistake already in the previous post by saying it won't be perfect.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its amazing how people can nit pick (to find insignificant details of something unsatisfactory, often unjustifiably) the crap out of something just for the sake of a argument. I understood what you meant.

wolfeking

banned
I don't think he can even use "much improved"...
I concur with his response. why? We have yet to see the new release. Hard to say it is a fail before we even see it.

why...?
You can always improve something, so you mean it's almost perfect if you say that?
If you meant it the other way, you got it wrong.

No offense intended, and you are doing a great job with it as is, but your using the wrong tool to do this job. The programming language you choose (because it is what you know) is not suited for this kind of program. It is like using a spanner in place of an impact wrench. Sure it will do the job, but with lost of wasted effort in the process. You are doing a great job with your spanner though.
Also, it would be much easier to take the benchmark seriously if you would not keep changing the point scale with every release. Look at the great benchmarks out there. Their points stay about the same with each new release.
Another thing that may make it easier for everyone involved, from you and Jason, to the people benching, if you would set a stable release schedule and
stick to it. Once every three months might be good, or maybe take a page from Ubuntu and do a semiannual release. Just support and patch the current version as needed, and only intro new features to new releases.
Its amazing how people can nit pick (to find insignificant details of something unsatisfactory, often unjustifiably) the crap out of something just for the sake of a argument. I understood what you meant.

I am trying to help him get better at english dude. Something more people should do. This is because I am quite tired (and he did not do this, but using correct vocab can be important) of people that "Ain't got no ..."

Virssagòn

VIP Member
wolfeking said:
Also, it would be much easier to take the benchmark seriously if you would not keep changing the point scale with every release. Look at the great benchmarks out there. Their points stay about the same with each new release.

The points will be scaled as current version, but you must understand that all developpers have to start over the scoreboards if they change something IN the calculations.

wolfeking said:
Another thing that may make it easier for everyone involved, from you and Jason, to the people benching, if you would set a stable release schedule and
stick to it. Once every three months might be good, or maybe take a page from Ubuntu and do a semiannual release. Just support and patch the current version as needed, and only intro new features to new releases.

Was planning to change the calculations twice a year. The most important updates will be announced too.

wolfeking said:
I am trying to help him get better at english dude. Something more people should do. This is because I am quite tired (and he did not do this, but using correct vocab can be important) of people that "Ain't got no ..."

About who are you talking now, I would want you to keep this conversation in pm from now on. Because it's becoming a mess right now.

wolfeking

banned
you are whom I am talking about. The use of perfect about a program is just not proper vocab. But I will stop then.

Yachu

here is my benchmark with an 2600k @ 4.5ghz and 1.35v

Attachments

• black-hole.jpg
    black-hole.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited: