Buying Advice For Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Varney

Thank you, Blackdawg. I echo what Lucasbytegenius just said. That was a really good post.

Thank you, Strollin, too. I needed that sort of realistic overview of the Mac. Nothing beats first hand experience. I've read it several times to makes sure I take everything in. I get what you're saying there.

My problem is having to spend on Windows 7, just to try. Don't forget, when XP came out, I thought I was getting something great. It promised to be more stable. I suppose it has been, compared with '98 but really, it does seem to have fallen short on so many of it's promises... I think most users will appreciate what I'm saying.

I notice the Mac users seem to get good deals on OS upgrades - something like £29 for Snow Leopard if you're already a user. I only breezed over the Apple site and caught something like this.

But if I can be sure Win7 will clear up my problems I'll be more than happy to give it a go. What I'm not too pleased about is having to spend over £100 just to get a decent OS after having experienced so many problems with XP. It's like, with most products - someone sells you something you don't like, you don't go back to them for more. The problem is, we're kind of tied to Bill Gates and his products because we know damn well, (and he knows it!) we can't run most of our professional grade software without him.

It's true, you do have to know what you're doing with PCs. There is so much software to choose from but you can't always trust it not to screw things up.

On the other hand, there is certain software I will not be able to run on the Mac. This calls for a complete upheaval from digital audio software I've become comfortable with, over to a completely different product and the steep learning curve that implies, too.

Aastii - I don't know anything about Ubuntu. Now what would I be able to do with it? I mean, would it run Photoshop and FL Studio for instance? What about Microsoft Office? I love to find out about alternatives - but this sounds a bit alien...

I'm going to ask around and see if I can get a good deal on Windows 7 and see where I go from there. The Mac will have to come later, since it's a big investment.

Thank you to all of you for your patience. It's a tough decision.

Dr. V

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
Ubuntu is a free operating system based on Linux. You can get just about every program to work on it, however as it is free and there are a lot of different linux distro's, with Ubuntu being just one of them, often to get it work you will need to find a work around, or will need another program to act as a platform for the program.

There are, however, free alternatives to everything you have that either come with Ubuntu by default or that will work with Ubuntu straight away. For instance, it comes with Open Office, which is a free office suite very similar to Microsoft office. The only downside is that MS Office can't read certain Open Office files, to view say a written document in MS Office that was created in Open office, you would have to copy + paste the content into a non-rich text document format, such as notepad, and then copy the content into MS Word.

There is a program for Ubuntu though called Wine, and what it does is create a platform for Windows programs that will allow Windows programs to work. Take MS Office as an example:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Microsoft_Office

You will need to understand some command line languages, bash and python for instance, because for a fair few programs you will need to create the solution yourself, however for most problems there is a fix on the internet with step by step guides which so long as you can follow them, you can get anything to work.

Because it is free, it truly is a "you have nothing to lose" situation

Doctor Varney

Because it is free, it truly is a "you have nothing to lose" situation

Except for time...

Hell, that sounds like a lot of messing about. The situation is bad enough I think, without adding more complications. After reading around, it appears Photoshop might be a problem. But thanks for the overview.

Dr. V

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
what do you need to do with photoshop that Gimp can not do? Gimp is Linux native, so it will work.
As for photoshop, it can run. You will need to copy the files from the disk to the home folder, then right click, go to permissions and select "run as program". Then right click again and select run with wine. It will install with little to no trouble.

Doctor Varney

what do you need to do with photoshop that Gimp can not do? Gimp is Linux native, so it will work.
As for photoshop, it can run. You will need to copy the files from the disk to the home folder, then right click, go to permissions and select "run as program". Then right click again and select run with wine. It will install with little to no trouble.

Uh uh... No way. GIMP is not professional grade software and carries nowhere near the same functionality of Photoshop. Been there and done it, so I know. Besides that, it's unstable and keeps crashing... of course, that was with Windows. I appreciate it could be more stable under Linux.

When people ask what can you do with PS that you can't with the GIMP, it is because they are not familiar with the full range of functionality of Photoshop, themselves having only scratched the surface of what it can do. For those sorts of people, any middle of the road photo editor would do - except GIMP offers layering which makes it instantly more versatile than some.

As for Photoshop on Linux, I have done a little research already and found a list of 'known bugs'. It's very offputting, to say the least. No, this is not what I'm after. This is plainly needlessley adding more difficulty and complication to an already imperfect arrangement and I believe it will create more problems for rme than it will solve. I like the idea of experimentation and the philosophy behind UNIX but I think this is probably more for people who like messing with computers than actually getting any work done with Photoshop.

I'm beginning to think in terms of Windows 7 being the best course of action - for the time being.

Having said that, I am tempted to try Linux on an old machine for myself and just see what it's like - mainly out of interest.

Dr. V

Last edited:

BlackDawg

I'm pretty sure one can download a copy of windows 7 from the Microsoft download site and evaluate it free for a set period of time, either 10 or 30 days.

*Edit*
Sorry, the eval offer for windows 7 ended Dec, 31, 2010.

Last edited:

BlackDawg

Support in this case usually means security and functionality updates. The XP OS still functions as it always did and users are free to use it at will under the Microsoft license, there just won't be any new updates to it. They are actually not forcing anyone into a newer OS they just wont be selling anymore copies of XP and no new updates. Unfortunately, a common practice among most software vendors.

Doctor Varney

Support in this case usually means security and functionality updates. The XP OS still functions as it always did and users are free to use it at will under the Microsoft license, there just won't be any new updates to it. They are actually not forcing anyone into a newer OS they just wont be selling anymore copies of XP and no new updates. Unfortunately, a common practice among most software vendors.

Thank you for addressing my concern, Blackdawg. You'll probably have noticed I deleted part of that post, as I needed to think about it. It didn't entirely makes sense when I read it back and I seemed to have answered my own question.

What I should be asking is, will the licencing phone number still work after that time? Instead of installing countless applications to scan, tune and repar, I have decided to wipe, re-format and re-install each year, to keep everything running properly. This of course brings it's own probems but once everything's settled down, I seem to be getting that 'good as new' performance' back again. I thought about buying Windows 7 later this summer but if this system is still working for me, then I may not need to.

My philosophy is "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". Without taking it to extremes, it means that I upgrade according to my needs, not per fashion or to have the latest thing for the sake of it.

Dr. V

Last edited:

C4Radon

My advice is to buy the Mac and check it out for yourself. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. )

Nothing to lose but an absurd amount of money that is... I can't give first hand experience on a Mac and or any of the native mac operating systems as I have spent (relatively) very little time with them, so my opinion would be very biased. But what I can give you first hand experience on is Windows 7 as an operating system. [ I thinks its clear to the OP that, well that numbers don't lie and you can (in fact) build a much cheaper PC for the price of a Mac].So in terms of hardware in my mind at least, this is a "no-brainer". I will tell you this, I have been using windows 7 for about 2 years now. So far I have had 3 blue screens, all of which were hardware related. My computer goes into complete not responding about once every 2 weeks, though this problem can also be attributed with hardware. I have had no issues with certain programs not being able to run. So far, my whole experience with Windows 7 has been a happy one. if Windows XP is a 5/10 I consider Windows 7 to be a at least an 8/10. Since its been out for a while, most bugs have been patched and it runs fine perfectly fine on my current computer. Not much more to say about it...I find it a really great OS and a major step up from XP and no doubt Windows Vista. I really hope you choose a PC (pref. built to save some cash) and with Windows 7 as it really is a big step forward over XP. I mean really there's no comparison to an operating system designed over 7 years ago to one made today.

Another of my 2 cents...

-you have stolen all of my cents-

Doctor Varney

^ LOL!

That's brilliant, C4. Thank you for your honesty! :D

So the answer is quite clear. Save an absurd amount of money and get the bluescreen of death and a computer that goes non-responsive every two weeks?! Sounds like a bargain! :rolleyes:

Seriously though... All hardware related? Well, I wonder if that just proves the point that the Mac, whether or not it has better components, has better matched components?

As you know yourself, unless someone's had first hand experience with both, it's hard to say for sure. That is just some experience I'm just gonna have to find for myself. So it will take a while...

Meanwhile, I think I have this XP machine tuned up (actually stripped down) and running the best it can. Things ain't really so bad at this moment in time but only time will tell, if it will get back into the state that it was when I started this thread. The next investment (Windows 7 Vs. Mac-Mini) will have to be thought about carefully...

What's funny though, is I have never (not since Windows '95 at least) seen a blue screen. Just lots of silly stops and error messages and some switching off dead at unexpected and inappropriate times.

Dr. V

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am not going to read this whole thread, but I skimmed over it. Here are some key points.

1) .exe files are Windows binary files, they are windows only, they only work on Windows - PERIOD! They don't run on Linux, Unix or OS X, or any other OS. What this usually refers to is that a mac uses a standard set of POSIX permissions. Which by nature does not allow a normal user to install software into a folder or file path they do not own or have rights to. This is why some applications will ask for authentication when installing. This is by far a good thing more so than it is a bad thing. You never want to run as a root user like in Windows, it is a HUGE security and stability risk.

2) Initial cost is not paralleled to overall cost of ownership. After all, you want to be using your computer at all times. Plus, since Apple is more of a closed system their systems tend to have a longer life cycle. You can run current software for many years on your Mac. Also, their resell value is way higher than a PC, so you actually get more return on your investment. 6 year old PPC desktops still sell for $500. If you are going to buy a new mac every 2 to 3 years, you can easily pay for over half of the cost of a new mac by simply selling your old one. Overall cost of ownership is cheaper in the long run.

3) The myth that macs are only good at graphic design and video editing is very much false. I do neither and do all my work on my Macs.

When I say mac is slightly different than PC (hardware-wise), is because it really is. Example, macs don’t have a BIOS, not even a BIOS chip (Or CMOS). They have different power management system than PCs. In mac the PMU controls almost everything, where as in PC, its power management systems usually just control the big power consumers, like HDD, optics, handle battery charge, etc. (PMU is kinda like CMOS for mac, as strange as it may sound...)

That’s just a few of the subsytems/differences I can think of between mac and PC. I don’t imagine there are a whole lot more. If all you do is install windows/OS X on it, you’d never know there’s any actual difference from mac or PC. And unless you plan on programming an OS for it or something, it doesn’t really matter a whole lot what’s going on under the hood — just as long as it’s understood there actually is a physical hardware difference. Not that it’s important...

This is almost accurate. It is called a SMU/SMC/PMU depending on which particular model, year and feature you are talking about. Also, EFI is the firmware that controls the Mac, not PMU. PMU just controls the power, and it was later called SMU. The hardware is not physically different the firmware is different. The boot strap on a Mac goes like this:

power on > POST > EFI > Kernel > launchd > loginwindow

(in a nutshell to keep it simple)

A PC will boot like this

power on > POST > BIOS > Boot sector (boot apps like GRUB would load here) > boot loader file > kernel > system daemon (different name in Linux and in Windows) > login window

You are forgetting however that Macs dont do what PCs can. I cant use a lot of my software on a mac, nor game, nor use MS CRM and the list goes on. Not to mention the very poor and in most cases non-existent IT support from thrid party organisations such as ISPs.

You cannot compare them, they're not the same. Also most TCO analysis doesn't factor in the learning curve most people would need to do to become as proficient in using a mac. This, is a major major cost to a business. A lot of staff would need training or suffer large downtime. Not costed in most TCOs

Plus, I game, and sorry, but Macs completely fail at this.

Also please show me empirical data where Mac OS handles hardware more efficiently. Most information i have seen shows Windows 7 trouncing Mac OS.

There is huge IT support for the Mac community and it is ever growing. Just sign up on the mac enterprise mailing list and watch the emails fly by. Macs can run Windows in a virtual machine, boot windows, and run windows apps via the WINE API. There is also CRM software for the Mac.

ISPs don't support Macs? Dude TCP/IP is a standard, and it works on every single OS out there. If your ISP does something funky to only support Windows machines that is purely 100% the fault of the ISP.

FYI Google just phased out 100% of their PCs and went with Macs. So, yeah there may be a cost of a learning curve and training but OS X is pretty intuitive. There are reasons businesses now allow Macs in their enterprise where as before 5 years ago that was pretty much unheard of.

Mac Pro's run server grade components, and cant be compared to desktop counterparts, unless you plan on grabbing a socket 1366 board and putting a xeon processor...sure compare that to a server. You get what you pay for, you will end up spending *about* the same on a desktop with a server processor, board and ram as you would a PC, also take into effect that software is often provided by Apple for basic things, and is not in the side of the PC market, you get the OS, and then nothing, you will have to hunt for stuff to do what you want to.

What it comes down to, you are paying for design and components that are being selectively picked that will work together, for the most part, effectively, whereas with the PC market, you are on your own, you may get stuck in a corner with a compatibility issue.

(i dont endorse Mac, i build pcs, but eh, thats what their doing.)

Disagree. A Mac Pro is a high end desktop, just like a Dell workstation or a Sun work station that supports Xeon processors. Yes these are the same processors in servers you are correct, however, it is still a desktop computer. Servers have things like redundant power supplies, lights out management, and are rack mountable. The Mac Pro has none of that. It is meant for serious work, like heavy 3D work or something along the lines.

I apologize, however, I could not help but dog you a little here, because there are contradictions, and opinions that you're attempting to pass as facts. First, stating "While the OS on a Mac IS indeed more secure" is an opinion.

No, it is a fact. Look at how many hacks/exploits and so forth are available to Windows based machines. Now look at how many viruses are in the wild for Unix based ones. The difference is proof enough that the Unix POSIX model has not only been around a lot longer than Windows, it has also be tested more and found to be more secure over time. By nature it is more secure, that is a fact. However, the end user is the largest security hole, and if the end user doesn't understand certain concepts and safe guards no matter how secure your OS is, the end user can easily bypass all the security by just executing bad practices.

Second, if Mac's are "built better than PC's", please elaborate on why Mac's can't "play games". I have a feeling that statement is crap, because Macs are built just as any computer is built. On an assembly line. If Mac uses superior techniques to PC manufacturers, then why can't Mac's apparently play games? Does Mac test each and everyone of their computers for functionality? I don't know, and I don't think you do, either. IF Mac is able to test each and everyone of their computers, as you say, it wont last long, if they wish to make money and expand. Because as Mac grows, there will be a point where testing each and every Mac will be time consuming, and money wasting, because labor would be through the roof, and well, it just wouldn't work. Mac would be behind in getting their Mac's out in an orderly fashion, and fast enough for peeps to buy them. Why do you think they have 30 day manufacturer warranties, and then limited 1 year warranties for PC's? Think about it. It's not that simple. I think Mac is at all "popular" because of those false advertisements you posted. Mac is simply good at creating the illusion that their "stuff" don't stink, as they say. Which is of course fair play, and I have to say they are exceptionally well at doing it.

The answer to this is easy. DirectX. If developers actually used open standards like Open GL you would see tons of games get ported to OS X and Linux, because every OS supports Open GL. However, Open GL is a lot harder to code in. Which is why only a few developers actually code in it. id and Blizzard are the only two off the top of my head that use Open GL consistently. They also release their games for every platform. The DirectX APIs are less robust than OpenGL but are easier to use and until you convince the developers to start making games for OS X and Linux, it ain't gonna happen.

However, some developers are. Look at Steam, Valve, EA, id, and Blizzard, all developing games for the Mac. In fact, valve says if you own a PC license to any of their games you can also for free load it on your Mac. Now, gaming has a long time advantage of being coded for a PC and Windows. Windows boxes of the same spec will most likely out perform a Mac on the same game with the same settings. Give it time for developers to take advantage of Apple APIs for video game development, it is all relatively pretty new.

OK last point then I am done
Sorry for the double post, but this deserves it...

This is disgusting.

17-inch: 2.2 GHz
2.2GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
Built-in battery (7 hours)

2500 dollars...

Pay about 1100, build a computer with literally double the power. You wont be sorry.

*sigh*, do you know how to compare spec for spec? Do you realize how expensive IPS screens are? Go find a LED back lit IPS screen that runs the same resolution as the macbook one and is in the same price range. You will find that while Apple does mark up some parts like hard drives, optical drives and so forth, they are actually more reasonably priced than you think. That also is not considering the costs of software that goes with each new mac too. iLife is probably several hundred dollars of software to get the equivalent on another platform.

In the end, buy the Mac because it is a great computer, or if you really dislike using the Mac then don't buy it. Having supported, maintained and owned every manufacturer of laptops in existence I can say that my opinion is the Macbook Pro is the best laptop I have ever owned hands down.

Aastii

VIP Member
@tlarkin, regarding the price of hardware from apple:

1. go to their shop (in person or online)

2. pick any of their mac's and start to customise.

3. Look at upgrade costs. a few examples:

i5 760 to i7 920 - +£164

4GB 1333MHz to 8GB 1333MHz - +£160

1TB HDD to 2TB HDD - +£123

I agree with most of what you said, except for when you say their prices are reasonable. No matter how you look at it, they are not, at least hardware wise. I agree, software wise they are reasonable (at least going by off the shelf prices, which are still ridiculous imo), but how you can even begin to claim 4GB @ £160 is reasonable is beyond me

In case you aren't aware of prices over here for memory:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-257-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1516

4GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, so not el cheapo crap - £45

tlarkin

VIP Member
I said they do mark up the costs of HDs, optical drives, and so forth, but in regards to other hardware costs, like Xeon Processors, IPS screens, and so forth they are actually very decently priced. Try to buy or build a PC spec for spec with those type of parts and you will generally get it around or damn near the same price as the Mac.

Every manufacturer also over charges for RAM. You can buy third party RAM and HD for a Mac just like you can any PC, that is really a moot issues if you ask me.

Like I have said to people countless times, take an iMac and build a PC spec for spec with the same exact parts and then look at the price difference.

Aastii

VIP Member
I said they do mark up the costs of HDs, optical drives, and so forth, but in regards to other hardware costs, like Xeon Processors, IPS screens, and so forth they are actually very decently priced. Try to buy or build a PC spec for spec with those type of parts and you will generally get it around or damn near the same price as the Mac.

Every manufacturer also over charges for RAM. You can buy third party RAM and HD for a Mac just like you can any PC, that is really a moot issues if you ask me.

Like I have said to people countless times, take an iMac and build a PC spec for spec with the same exact parts and then look at the price difference.

I don't disagree that if you went and factored in software and what not, prices would be similar, but as I say to my clients that I build/upgrade systems for - what will you actually be using it for?

It is all well and good getting a mac, but is it really worth dropping a couple grand on a system you will only be using for the internet?

I know that is an extreme example, but if you use PS only say, then why not get a PC? You don't need the software that comes with a mac, which would then be considered bloatware, and you don't need the overpriced upgrades, you could build your own on the cheap.

Mac's have their place, and in their place, they can't be touched by a PC, however for the every day user, a Mac isn't a viable option because of the prices and because of the useless features.

Aside from that, there is no way to ever defend 3 times the price for a single component, even if you can say "just upgrade it yourself", that makes getting the system in the first place pointless because you may as well just do the full thing yourself

Doctor Varney

@tlarkin, regarding the price of hardware from apple:

3. Look at upgrade costs. a few examples:

i5 760 to i7 920 - +£164

4GB 1333MHz to 8GB 1333MHz - +£160

1TB HDD to 2TB HDD - +£123

Upgrading costs. Well, assuming that upgrading is essential in any way... Supposing with those starting specs, the machine runs in a stable fashion and delivers the performance you expect without so much as a hiccup. Look around at what happens when people build their own PCs and insert upgrades. "This doesn't work, that doesn't work... HELP!" etc, etc...

Downtime to a professional costs money. Downtime to a gamer is just frustrating.

I'm sure they are amazing machines and much cheaper than their Mac counterparts... except they only seem to work half of the time. To me, it's not about having the fastest, biggest, most up-to-date thing. There is a saying - and I think it's true: "The bigger they are, the harder they fall". And I'm starting to see evidence that it is indeed true.

It is all well and good getting a mac, but is it really worth dropping a couple grand on a system you will only be using for the internet?

I know that is an extreme example, but if you use PS only say, then why not get a PC?

Yes, it is an extreme example. Firstly, a modest Mac system needn't cost a couple of grand. Secondly, we could ask the same question in reverse: is it really worth going to the trouble of custom building such a powerful PC if all you want to do is surf the 'net and play with Photoshop?

tlarkin offers us the fact the Mac system is more secure over the internet. If this is true then your Photoshop machine will be at less risk of falling over due to the invasion of malware and/ or possible loss of performance implied by the stack of software needed to keep it secure.

Basically, knowing that Photoshop can be relied on to work properly every single time I open it is worth far, far more to me than knowing it can execute a given command several milliseconds faster on someone else's computer.

When it comes to digital audio production, I have heard many professionals speak about the great possibilities with the PC and while acknowledging the price difference, simply cannot run the risk of a computer failing during costly sessions. If a PC fails during one of these, it could mean a loss of business costing far more than the difference between PC & Mac. Add the cost up over the long haul and you start to see these PC-pro points and Mac-con points pale into insignificance. Then there are those things which go beyond mere cash - the embarrassment of having a system fail on you at a crucial moment. Point being, no amount of extra RAM or a few extra gigs of HDD space at a bargain price is ever going to make up for a hardware/ software failure in the middle of a performance. There are just times when failure is not acceptable but a little extra cost and lower specs is actually of neglible interest, when weighing up the true value of stability and on-demand performance and the confidence that comes with it. Perhaps it's in this area where we can start comparing business decisions? Cue hare and tortoise scenario...

That is, of course, assuming the Mac is actually more stable and reliable than it's PC counterpart. We can only weigh up the evidence. I'm not going to use this as conclusive evidence on it's own, but I'm saying that if this was anything to go by:

I have been using windows 7 for about 2 years now. So far I have had 3 blue screens, all of which were hardware related. My computer goes into complete not responding about once every 2 weeks, though this problem can also be attributed with hardware.

and then...

So far, my whole experience with Windows 7 has been a happy one.

Well, do you see what I mean? If my computer went non-responsive on me every two weeks, my experience would be anything but a happy one.

I'm not, by any means, saying my mind is made up. But comparing evidence of this sort goes a long way towards helping me make my decision.

The bottom line is - someone who says he is happy with his Windows, also tells me his machine stops responding every two weeks. People who own Macs may not know how to build custom computers but I've yet to hear of one failing this often. I feel far more pre-disposed to listening to those who own and use both, than those who use money and specs to argue their corner.

But tlarkini does not come across to me as 'technically challenged' because he uses Mac computers. Quite the reverse. He seems to know his stuff.

Dr. V

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I don't disagree that if you went and factored in software and what not, prices would be similar, but as I say to my clients that I build/upgrade systems for - what will you actually be using it for?

I know that is an extreme example, but if you use PS only say, then why not get a PC? You don't need the software that comes with a mac, which would then be considered bloatware, and you don't need the overpriced upgrades, you could build your own on the cheap.

Mac's have their place, and in their place, they can't be touched by a PC, however for the every day user, a Mac isn't a viable option because of the prices and because of the useless features.

Aside from that, there is no way to ever defend 3 times the price for a single component, even if you can say "just upgrade it yourself", that makes getting the system in the first place pointless because you may as well just do the full thing yourself

*sigh*......3 times the price? That would infer that Macs have the same hardware at triple the costs....Also, where is your proof on this? I said spec for spec, not the cheapest POS you can find and give to someone.....I guess I will do this for the, I dunno, 500th billion time on this forum.

iMac 27":
# 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
# 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 1TB Serial ATA Drive
# 8x double-layer SuperDrive
# ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
# Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
# Magic Mouse
cost: $1,999.00

Equivalent PC desktop (feature to feature, spec to spec comparison)
CPU $209
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=core_i5_2,8ghz-_-19-115-067-_-Product

Mobo $149
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131599

Case: $80 (I just picked a random case)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137&cm_re=case-_-11-119-137-_-Product

Video card $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8&cm_re=Radeon_HD_5750-_-14-150-528-_-Product

RAM: $48 (2 sets of this)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145331&cm_re=ddr_3-_-20-145-331-_-Product

PSU $75 (Apple does the green technology thing)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...015&cm_re=power_supply-_-17-371-015-_-Product

Hard drive $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

Optical drive $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

ABGN wireless card: $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124342

BlueTooth: $24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...203029&cm_re=bluetooth-_-33-203-029-_-Product

BT keyboard and Mouse:$170 (only thing really comparable and in stock)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...oth_keyboard_and_mouse-_-23-126-038-_-Product

Firewire 800 card: $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...060&cm_re=firewire_800-_-00-998-060-_-Product

web cam: $60 (just picked a random web cam, this one seems decent)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104074

26" IPS monitor: $950 (*disclaimer see below)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6422&cm_re=ips_monitor-_-24-116-422-_-Product

*This monitor is 1" smaller, runs way lower resolution and is not as high as quality but is the closest thing I can find on newegg and is in stock. So, really this is probably more in the $1100 range, possibly more.

OS Windows 7 ultimate OEM $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...windows_7_ultimate_oem-_-32-116-762-_-Product

Total for PC: $2,285.00

This is a spec for spec feature for feature comparison. Of course you can tweak it and find better deals but as of now the iMac is cheaper. IPS screens are really freaking expensive and since apple buy a lot of them they get a discount and actually probably take a bit of a loss on reselling that part. However, they mark up the cheaper parts like RAM and HD (because every computer company has to buy those and in bulk they are cheap) and get a higher profit margin on marking up those items.

The problem is, and always has been, people cannot wrap their head around what is actually in a Mac versus what Apple marks up. Since the profit margin is way higher on cheaper hardware like RAM, HD, and the like Apple takes advantage of that to make more money than other hardware manufacturers. In return, their low profit margin items like IPS screens they probably don't mark up at all really. It is like when you buy a computer from a computer store, they are only making a small percentage mark up. All the profit is in software and accessories and peripherals.

That being said, taking into account the total cost of ownership the Mac is a great deal. I will not argue with someone that says they cannot justify buying a Mac because all they want is a cheap piece of crap the surf the web, yeah a Mac is over kill for that. However, saying a Mac is over priced is sort of ignorant unless you take everything into account. I did not even touch software, but only included the OS in that build.

mihir

VIP Member
*sigh*......3 times the price? That would infer that Macs have the same hardware at triple the costs....Also, where is your proof on this? I said spec for spec, not the cheapest POS you can find and give to someone.....I guess I will do this for the, I dunno, 500th billion time on this forum.

iMac 27":
# 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
# 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 1TB Serial ATA Drive
# 8x double-layer SuperDrive
# ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
# Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
# Magic Mouse
cost: $1,999.00

Equivalent PC desktop (feature to feature, spec to spec comparison)
CPU $209
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7&cm_re=core_i5_2,8ghz-_-19-115-067-_-Product

Mobo $149
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131599

Case: $80 (I just picked a random case)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137&cm_re=case-_-11-119-137-_-Product

Video card $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8&cm_re=Radeon_HD_5750-_-14-150-528-_-Product

RAM: $48 (2 sets of this)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145331&cm_re=ddr_3-_-20-145-331-_-Product

PSU $75 (Apple does the green technology thing)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...015&cm_re=power_supply-_-17-371-015-_-Product

Hard drive $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

Optical drive $20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

ABGN wireless card: $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124342

BlueTooth: $24
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...203029&cm_re=bluetooth-_-33-203-029-_-Product

BT keyboard and Mouse:$170 (only thing really comparable and in stock)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...oth_keyboard_and_mouse-_-23-126-038-_-Product

Firewire 800 card: $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...060&cm_re=firewire_800-_-00-998-060-_-Product

web cam: $60 (just picked a random web cam, this one seems decent)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104074

26" IPS monitor: $950 (*disclaimer see below)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6422&cm_re=ips_monitor-_-24-116-422-_-Product

*This monitor is 1" smaller, runs way lower resolution and is not as high as quality but is the closest thing I can find on newegg and is in stock. So, really this is probably more in the $1100 range, possibly more.

OS Windows 7 ultimate OEM $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...windows_7_ultimate_oem-_-32-116-762-_-Product

Total for PC: $2,285.00

This is a spec for spec feature for feature comparison. Of course you can tweak it and find better deals but as of now the iMac is cheaper. IPS screens are really freaking expensive and since apple buy a lot of them they get a discount and actually probably take a bit of a loss on reselling that part. However, they mark up the cheaper parts like RAM and HD (because every computer company has to buy those and in bulk they are cheap) and get a higher profit margin on marking up those items.

The problem is, and always has been, people cannot wrap their head around what is actually in a Mac versus what Apple marks up. Since the profit margin is way higher on cheaper hardware like RAM, HD, and the like Apple takes advantage of that to make more money than other hardware manufacturers. In return, their low profit margin items like IPS screens they probably don't mark up at all really. It is like when you buy a computer from a computer store, they are only making a small percentage mark up. All the profit is in software and accessories and peripherals.

That being said, taking into account the total cost of ownership the Mac is a great deal. I will not argue with someone that says they cannot justify buying a Mac because all they want is a cheap piece of crap the surf the web, yeah a Mac is over kill for that. However, saying a Mac is over priced is sort of ignorant unless you take everything into account. I did not even touch software, but only included the OS in that build.

I completely agree with you But with iMac you don't have an option whether you want the IPS panel with LED backlighting.And also if you don't want the expensive software then PC would be a nice way to go.And a normal net browser or even a gamer does not need an IPS panel.
So why not go with a completely customizable PC in which you can Add all the parts which you need for your purpose rather than paying so much for a screen which you actually don't need and you won't notice a difference in the purpose you would be using your computer for it.

Spec for spec it may be of a comparable price but what about all the things which you don't need in it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I completely agree with you But with iMac you don't have an option whether you want the IPS panel with LED backlighting.And also if you don't want the expensive software then PC would be a nice way to go.And a normal net browser or even a gamer does not need an IPS panel.
So why not go with a completely customizable PC in which you can Add all the parts which you need for your purpose rather than paying so much for a screen which you actually don't need and you won't notice a difference in the purpose you would be using your computer for it.

Spec for spec it may be of a comparable price but what about all the things which you don't need in it.

I said that in my post. If you want a cheap piece of crap made by the cheapest bid of parts to just surf the web, then do so. What I am saying is that a Mac spec for spec is actually decently priced. People here on the forums typically go like this:

"Oh Macs are teh suck and I can get 50x the machine for half the price and I can like you know play video games and run exe files..."

(slightly sarcastic)

When in reality their ignorance on the comparison is so much that they just assume people who like to buy Macs are stupid. It is really ironic since they claim superiority but lack the deduction skills to break down the worth and costs of a PC versus a Mac.

I agree with you that if you want a cheap PC then build one and IPS screens really aren't meant for gaming. Their refresh rates are slightly slower than regular TFT LED LCDs. However, the color and picture quality on an IPS screen is top notch, and that is why they are so expensive.

Apple's business model is to keep it simple. They have three versions of every computer they sell. Entry, midgrade, and higher end. So, they tend to keep the hardware upgrades to a minimum.

Plus in reality you cannot even compare that desktop I built to an iMac because an iMac is an all-in-one computer. However, that is the closest thing I can use for a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.