Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

Emperor_nero

The graphical version has more control and a "better" user interface, but it has more compatibility issues with running it along with other programs, like certain games.

The console version is simple and easy to use. This is what I do: I run the console version, but don't set it up to start automatically and become a background task, but start it so it is in a DOS window everytime the comptuer starts. That way, I get the compatibility, as well as being able to monitor it.

Thanks alot jet!:)

Is ether one any faster than the other one?

ceewi1

VIP Member
The graphical version has more control and a "better" user interface, but it has more compatibility issues with running it along with other programs, like certain games.

The console version is simple and easy to use. This is what I do: I run the console version, but don't set it up to start automatically and become a background task, but start it so it is in a DOS window everytime the comptuer starts. That way, I get the compatibility, as well as being able to monitor it.
I set it to start automatically, and use EMIII to monitor it - all the benefits of the console version, plus a nice interface for monitoring.

Is ether one any faster than the other one?
Yes, the console version is slightly faster (but not by much).

Saurian

I haven't heard that they are working on a G80 client yet.

The reason for the development of folding on the X1900's was the fact that it was using the shader architecture vs conventional pipeline architecture. The G80 is now using twice or more the Unified programmable shaders. Another reason I think is because of ATI's driver's design of less overhead required, vs nVidia's generally having more. Don't know what nVidia has done about that, but I'd imagine unless some great technological hurdle opposes the G80's new architecture, it has a chance. :)

This is just conjecture, but I think it is halfway sound, at least. :)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
but isnt it logical to think that if your CPU is in use 24/7 that it will perish faster?

To answer your question, the amount that F@H will reduce your CPU time by is insignificant. A CPU should last about 10 years + and by then it will be more than OBSOLETE. That's the logic.

The CF progress hasn't been updated yet :)

Now I am at 16:15 per WU with my graphics card at 580/500 :)

Jan, are you not folding anymore? You've dropped to less than 700 points per week...

Hehe, I am still folding (OF COURSE :p). I just seem to have got a very large WU on my main rig as well as my other rigs. Just wait for an explosion in my score :)

Current update:

Date of last work unit 2006-12-03 03:17:00
Active CPUs within 50 days 144
Team Id 44358
Grand Score 505330
Work Unit Count 2744
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate) 810 of 46776

JAN :D

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
Just testing to see if this version of F@H stats works...

t=44358

YES!!!

folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php/un=Jet/t=44358/

Use that above string (add http://), and change user to whatever yours is for Folding@Home! More here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/?nav=IMAGES

Is there a way to allow sig images from one site only?

Last edited:

magicman

VIP Member
The CF progress hasn't been updated yet :)
My apologies Jadies and Lentilmen, I've been very busy, and haven't found the hour I need to do the weekly update. I have, however, taken a snapshot of the progress as of Saturday, and will use that in order to not skew the graphs. It should be uploaded by midnight GMT+0 tonight.

Jet

VIP Member
Sadly, they don't have accurate stats yet because we haven't been sub 800 for a week yet. I still will keep fahstats.com to keep track of points and overtake stats for a while longer..

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
X1600 and X1800

The graphical folding@home client now supports the ATI X1600 and X1800 cards. If you have it, do not hesitate and begin folding :)

JAN :D