Graphic Card needed

goranpaa

Yes!
exactly
I myself have checked four times since morning that whether the items have been shipped or not..

One more thing, for 14$ more, am getting msi 270x
should I go for 270x??

Naah!

Stick to the 270. The 270 and 270X are identical. The only little difference there is, is that the 270X have a bit higher gpu and memory clock speeds. Wich is easily fixed by a slight overclock tru the MSI Afterburner software included on the CD that comes with the card. But likely, you will feel that you wont need to do any overclock right away at least. That card do have some muscles as it is. It's allready faster than the vanilla 270 as the MSI card are factory overclocked some. Use those 14 bucks to buy another game or a big bag of candy to chew on while you are enjoying your games. :)

Last edited:

sudcell

Naah!

Stick to the 270. The 270 and 270X are identical. The only little difference there is, is that the 270X have a bit higher gpu and memory clock speeds. Wich is easily fixed by a slight overclock tru the MSI Afterburner software included on the CD that comes with the card.But likely, you will feel that you wont need to do any overclock right away at least. That card do have some muscles as it is.
I Don't know how to OC the card or Ram or anything :D

Use those 14 bucks to buy another game or a big bag of candy to chew on while you are enjoying your games. :)
:D:D::p:cool:

goranpaa

I Don't know how to OC the card or Ram or anything :D

:D:D::p:cool:

Overclocking the card to 270X speeds are easy.

The 270X GPU clock are: 1050MHz.

Video card, memory clock: 1400 MHz.

After installing the MSI Afterburner software. Open the program and set the GPU clock and memory clock to these speeds. Save the settings and you are good to go. Let the fan setting in this program be as it is = To auto. The MSI card can handle higher clocks than that. But setting it higher needs some fine tuning, stability and temperature testing for every 10th MHz you will crank the settings up for at least 1 hour or more. This is done thru a stability, stress test program like Furmark that you can download for free here: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5462-furmark.html If you get a max temperature around 70 Celcius and no artifacts or stuttering when testing? The overclock are good. The lower load temperatures you can get? The better of coarce.

Last edited:

goranpaa

Btw. you can help the over all hardware temperatures to stay lower some by seeing to that as many of the cables inside the case as possible, are out of the way form the air flow from the intake fan / fans to the rear case exhaust fan / fans. You have a golden opportunity to do this now when you are installing a new power supply.

Last edited:

sudcell

Btw. you can help the over all hardware temperatures to stay lower some by seeing to that as many as the cables inside the case as possible, are out of the way form the air flow from the intake fan / fans to the rear case exhaust fan / fans. You have a golden opportunity to do this now when you are installing a new power supply.

Will try my best
:)
Thanks

Darren

Staff member
What kind of disc do you have for your OS. Does it say you can use either 32 or 64 bit? Most OEM discs are either one of the other, not both. Some do have both and those are typically the versions you actually buy in a store and cost more than an OEM/System Builder version.

Also I'd be careful overclocking that card straight to the clocks of a 270X, bump it up bit by bit and make sure your temps are good (You don't want to go much higher than 70 degrees Celsius).

sudcell

What kind of disc do you have for your OS. Does it say you can use either 32 or 64 bit? Most OEM discs are either one of the other, not both. Some do have both and those are typically the versions you actually buy in a store and cost more than an OEM/System Builder version.

Yes the disc has 32 bit as well as 64 bit OS- Win 7 Ultimate
Do you recommend upgrading to 64bit before the card reaches me :D

Also I'd be careful overclocking that card straight to the clocks of a 270X, bump it up bit by bit and make sure your temps are good (You don't want to go much higher than 70 degrees Celsius).

I don't know much about OC'ing!!
And i feel that after playing on 270 i won't need to OC as its supposed to be leaps and bounds better than the 8400GS am currently using
:D

goranpaa

Yes the disc has 32 bit as well as 64 bit OS- Win 7 Ultimate
Do you recommend upgrading to 64bit before the card reaches me :D

I don't know much about OC'ing!!
And i feel that after playing on 270 i won't need to OC as its supposed to be leaps and bounds better than the 8400GS am currently using

He, he, he! I would say that the image quality and performance difference between those cards are light years. The MSI 270X did flatten my previous, Asus Radeon HD 7770 even. ( And that card whas factory over clocked like the MSI 270 you will get soon ). And still the HD 7770, are some generations younger than the Geforce 8400 GS.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
You probably won't need to overclock at all, I was just saying don't overclock it straight out of the box to 270X levels.

Yeah I would install 64bit now.

goranpaa

It's pretty pointless to overclock such a lower end video card like the 8400GS really. You won't gain much. This as likely a stable overclock will be small.

Last edited:

goranpaa

Ok. as for practicing oc the card will do.

Download following software:

This for setting the oc: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-system-tools-6.08-driver.html

1. Launch the application via the "Performance" shortcut.
In the left panel, select "Configure Devices" to open the overclocking menu.

2. Under "Clock Speed", select "Custom" and use the slider button to adjust the memory/GPU timings.
Avoid modifying the Shader timings as this may result in random crashes. Also leave the card fan setting to "auto".
The Nvidia utility allows you to create multiple profiles.

Increase the GPU and memory clock in 10 MHz steps at the time. Running the Furmark stress and stability test for 1 hour in between. Your card should'nt have a max load temperture during the test that exceed at the most 80 Celsius. The lower load temperature, the better of coarce. And also the card should'nt start to show artifacts, stuttering or locking up during the test.

Likely the sensitivity for an overclock will be lower for the memory. So if you get problems? Lower the memory clock some first and redo the test.

This program for stress testing and monitoring temperature + stability:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5462-furmark.html

Edit:

I found a couple of old forum treads about overclocking your 8400GS card. It seems like you will get about these max clock rates when oc'ing :

But don't go for these clocks right away! Keep raising the clocks in 10 Mhz increments at the time as said.

GPU clock = 700 Mhz

Memory clock: 475 Mhz

Last edited:

sudcell

Very nice! Will be interesting to hear what you think about the card later on.
INSTALLED THE CARD AND THE POWER SUPPLY MYSELF :D

JUST A LIL REVIEW..

Played GTA IV for around 1hr on my new R9 270 :D
It did lag but for a little (say for half a second). I suspect that the lag issue is with the game and not coz of the card.. MAX RESOLUTION :D
COD MW 3 plays flawlessly. But i think it played GOOD on my 8400GS too

goranpaa

INSTALLED THE CARD AND THE POWER SUPPLY MYSELF :D

JUST A LIL REVIEW..

Played GTA IV for around 1hr on my new R9 270 :D
It did lag but for a little (say for half a second). I suspect that the lag issue is with the game and not coz of the card.. MAX RESOLUTION :D
COD MW 3 plays flawlessly. But i think it played GOOD on my 8400GS too

Congrats to your new card and psu! And well done installing them. Now you must see a lot more detail in the games I recon? :)

The stuttering is likely some lag issue from the game. Check if there are any resent patches to install for it?

And now you have a card that can handle any game of today at high - very high quality settings. And a good psu on top of that.

Happy gaming!

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
GTA IV is going to run like crap regardless of your setup. I have problems with it from time to time and my computer is significantly more powerful than yours.

sudcell

Congrats to your new card and psu! And well done installing them. Now you must see a lot more detail in the games I recon? :)

The stuttering is likely some lag issue from the game. Check if there are any resent patches to install for it?

And now you have a card that can handle any game of today at high - very high quality settings. And a good psu on top of that.

Happy gaming!

you guys helped me in selecting this setup
thanks to you all :)

I am downloading saints row 3 :p