Graphic Card needed

sudcell

GTA IV is going to run like crap regardless of your setup. I have problems with it from time to time and my computer is significantly more powerful than yours.

Well, am quite happy with how its running right now :D
Think I can manage like this :p

can you suggest a small upgrade for my pc that would better the gaming experience? ?

goranpaa

:D
you guys helped me in selecting this setup
thanks to you all :)

I am downloading saints row 3 :p

Well, that game should give you an interesting experience both story wise and eye candy wise. :)

You're welcome.

Tip: Get an SSD harddrive at 120 GB. And have your Windows and a couple of games on that. Samsung, makes very good such drives. It's so small that you can tape it up with a couple of lengths of silver or duct tape anywhere in the case where there are a decent airflow. After trimming the SSD with the included software. it will fly like a bat out of hell! Your game loading times will be decreased significally. And also when the game will have to load a new cell from the installation. + that Windows boot time will be very, very short. :)
Just make sure that you have a free SATA hdd connector on the motherboard and a spare SATA cable.

If you don't want to go thru the whole thing about reinstalling Windows? There are an OS migration tool in the Samsung SSD software bundle. Don't forget to change the boot order in bios to the SSD after the migration and rebooting for the first time.

Last edited:

sudcell

Well, that game should give you an interesting experience both story wise and eye candy wise. :)

You're welcome.

Tip: Get an SSD harddrive at 120 GB. And have your Windows and a couple of games on that. Samsung, makes very good such drives. It's so small that you can tape it up with a couple of lengths of silver or duct tape anywhere in the case where there are a decent airflow. After trimming the SSD with the included software. it will fly like a bat out of hell! Your game loading times will be decreased significally. And also when the game will have to load a new cell from the installation. + that Windows boot time will be very, very short. :)
Just make sure that you have a free SATA hdd connector on the motherboard and a spare SATA cable.

If you don't want to go thru the whole thing about reinstalling Windows? There are an OS migration tool in the Samsung SSD software bundle. Don't forget to change the boot order in bios to the SSD after the migration and rebooting for the first time.

Didn't catch it quite well :(

I was thinking more of Motherboard / similar kinda upgrade

And suggest me some good Wifi modem + router too
The one am using right now is not that great as far as range is concerned :(

Last edited:

goranpaa

Didn't catch it quite well :(

I was thinking more of Motherboard / similar kinda upgrade

And suggest me some good Wifi modem + router too
The one am using right now is not that great as far as range is concerned :(

Ok. But the only thing that I can add to what I wrote about the SSD harddrive before. Is that it got no moving parts and is therefore among other things are lightning fast compaired to an ordinary harddrive.

Well, if you are considering going for a new motherboard? It would be better to get a faster processor than your Intel I3 540 like an I5 or I7 at 3.6 Gigahertz or more instead.

But if you do that? Make sure the new processor also have socket 1156. And the cpu upgrade will cost you some.

But if you are looking for a cheaper upgrade than that? Then the Samsung SSD harddrive would be spot on: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE120BW/dp/B00E3W15P0

Last edited:

sudcell

Ok. But the only thing that I can add to what I wrote about the SSD harddrive before. Is that it got no moving parts and is therefore among other things are lightning fast compaired to an ordinary harddrive.

Well, if you are considering going for a new motherboard? It would be better to get a faster processor than your Intel I3 540 like an I5 or I7 at 3.6 Gigahertz or more instead.

But if you do that? Make sure the new processor also have socket 1156. And the cpu upgrade will cost you some.

But if you are looking for a cheaper upgrade than that? Then the Samsung SSD harddrive would be spot on: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE120BW/dp/B00E3W15P0

Alright!
Did a little googling around to get a better understanding of what you said :)
Thinking about it now! :D

Please suggest me some good modem+ wifi router
the one am using right now is not that great!

goranpaa

Ok.

Yeah, consider getting an SSD. When I upgraded my pc in full, getting the SSD, gave the rig a more noticeable performance boost overall than swapping the processor. Then I had a pretty fast 10.000 rpm harddrive allready to compaire with. And and a harddrive is as simple to install as the video card.

One other nice thing about SSD drives, is that they do not generate more than a tiny bit of hot air to the case and are dead silent. And it's nice to not have to listen to the faint clicking noise from an ordinary mechanical harddrive when it reads and writes. Wich a harddrive does a lot when you have Windows installed on it.

A new modem and Wi - Fi I can't help you with. My knowledge is very small about those hardware. But someone of the other helpful guys here will for sure sort this out for you.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
The only upgrade that would improve actual game performance is your processor. SSD will help load programs, games, and Windows faster, but no actual performance in terms of framerate will be evident.

sudcell

The only upgrade that would improve actual game performance is your processor. SSD will help load programs, games, and Windows faster, but no actual performance in terms of framerate will be evident.

So i shouldn't go for the same coz all i am looking for i imporvement in my gaming experience
By the way, which processor to consider, if i make up my mind :D

goranpaa

Often there are both the make and the model labeled somewhere on the mobo. Like " Gigabyte, GA-970A-DS3P" for example.

goranpaa

I managed to find the mobo in question:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh55tc.html

The " (B) " likely stands for revision B.

But it will be hard to find a fast socket 1156 I5 or I7. It would likely be a better way for you to get a motherboard that supports Intel cpu's with socket 1150. And such an I5 or I7 cpu.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8991520&CatId=8586

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9085222&Sku=GNT-102501225

Another and cheaper way would be to get the same AMD FX6300 cpu and Gigabyte motherbord that I have. Look at my signature. Would'nt hurt you to also get the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler and replace the stock AMD cpu cooler with it right away then. Neither the stock AMD cpu cooler or the Intel dito are especially good, they are just decent.

The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, won't fit that Intel cpu that I have listed. But the CoolerMaster TX 3 will.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

Last edited:

sudcell

I managed to find the mobo in question:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh55tc.html

The " (B) " likely stands for revision B.

But it will be hard to find a fast socket 1156 I5 or I 7. It would likely be a better way for you to get a motherboard that supports Intel cpu's with socket 1150. And such an I5 or I7 cpu.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9085222&Sku=GNT-102501225

I was planning on changing my mobo
Not the processor :-/

goranpaa

I was planning on changing my mobo
Not the processor :-/

That wont do anything substantional for you really. If you want an upgrade worth the name?
You will have to get another processor too.

Edit. But are you really feeling that your rig are lacking some performance as it is right now?

Last edited:

sudcell

That wont do anything substantional for you really. If you want an upgrade worth the name?
You will have to get another processor too.

Edit. But are you really feeling that your rig are lacking some performance as it is right now?

Nah. Am Good with how its performing right now.
While playing Saints Row 3 on my current setup the FPS ranges in between 70 to 50 most of the times.. and the GPU temperature lies between 45- 58 degrees C

And mind it, am currently on 32 bit windows :p

Planning to upgrade to 64 bit soon but i don't wanna spend time on my PC installing windows than playing games :D

EDIT: Downloading Sniper Elite 3 :D

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Getting a new motherboard has no effect on game performance. If you're happy just leave it.

goranpaa

I agree. Keep on running that rig unitil you start to feel it's too outdated and slow. Then do a more serious, overall upgrade.

But it wont hurt to begin with to get a 64 bit Windows first. Then your rig will be able to utilize the full amount of your RAM.

Last edited:

sudcell

I agree. Keep on running that rig unitil you start to feel it's too outdated and slow. Then do a more serious, overall upgrade.

But it wont hurt to begin with to get a 64 bit Windows first. Then your rig will be able to utilize the full capasity of your RAM.

Am on it :D
actually the 64 bit is available with me
but am being a kid right now
want to make optimum utilisation of my PC-TIME right now by playing games!
but i will upgrade it to 64 bit soon :)