Liquid Cooling 101 - Needs Updating

spanky

[-0MEGA-];721485 said:
Phase-change cooling is the best way to really cool your processor, but unless you have $800+ and dont mind paying a high electricity bill, then it's probably not for you. I was actually going to talk a little bit about phase-change cooling as well for a bit.

Yes, I know about phase changing. I knew about before TEC today. It's not the expense that bothers me, it's that I don't like the idea of that big extra clunky peice of equipment sitting under my computer. An internal tec-liquid seems like the next way to go since I want water cooling anyway.

butter

I re-wrote the opening paragraph just to give a better intro. hope thats ok
haha, super moderator? that's pretty sick. u have all those dif types of ranks, like mega-editor and ultra-poster? lol

it's all good tho. carreer growth and stuff

joeswm8

for external kits look at this website:

http://www.externalpccooling.net/

this guy is great and makes excellent external kits.

also petra's tech kits are the best (ie. the elite kit).

also koolance isnt the best (it really kinda sucks), and post the specific parts because custom cooling is the best solution.

spanky

Whats the difference between Swiftech MCW6500-T Thermoelectric Waterblock and Danger Den Maze4-1 TEC other than price?

Geoff

VIP Member
I re-wrote the opening paragraph just to give a better intro. hope thats ok
Thats fine, I like the way you worded it.

Yes, I know about phase changing. I knew about before TEC today. It's not the expense that bothers me, it's that I don't like the idea of that big extra clunky peice of equipment sitting under my computer. An internal tec-liquid seems like the next way to go since I want water cooling anyway.
See for me, I could care less about a large piece of equipment next to my desk, but what I wouldnt care for is the idea that it's basically using as much power as a small air conditioner, so the electric bill would be insanely high. And unless you feel like removing it and using an HSF, it needs to be running whenever the PC is on.

Whats the difference between Swiftech MCW6500-T Thermoelectric Waterblock and Danger Den Maze4-1 TEC other than price?
The price difference is pretty drastic actually, the MCW6500-T is going for around $160, whereas the Maze4-1 is going for $80.

The biggest difference is that the Swiftech is a CPU block (775 to be exact), whereas the Danger Den is a GPU block and the peletier is only rated at 80W, which is lower then that of the Swiftech's.

Last edited:

userblah8

I seen a video of a guy making a vegetable oil or some kind of oil, it was pretty weird and i think it would stink eventually.

Geoff

VIP Member
I seen a video of a guy making a vegetable oil or some kind of oil, it was pretty weird and i think it would stink eventually.

There have been a lot of people who fill a tank with vegetable oil and submerge their computer parts in it. A member on this forum has done it at well.

Geoff

VIP Member
i wonder if you have to change it every now and then, cause its gotta get smelly after awhile.
If your talking about the water/coolant, then yes, most people have to top it off every 6 months or so because some will evaporate, and it's a good idea to change the fluid every year.

butter

[-0MEGA-];723084 said:
If your talking about the water/coolant, then yes, most people have to top it off every 6 months or so because some will evaporate, and it's a good idea to change the fluid every year.
haha, no i think he was talking about submerging into the oil lol.. and it's pretty grosE

Geoff

VIP Member
some say water cooling is only good if you OC alot. would it suit a q6600 not oc'ed or should i go for a heatsinc?
You should have made your own thread, but since you asked here I might as well answer.

Liquid cooling makes the most sense for overclockers because if you keep everything at or close to stock specs, then theres no reason that stock air cooling won't be sufficient. I would mainly recommend water cooling if you plan to take your components as high as they can go without going to phase change cooling, although the reliability if your computer will go down because there are more risks and maintenance.

For your Q6600 not oc'd, I would go with a more traditional heatsink and fan. The one that comes with the processor should be more then sufficient.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Nice work Geoff! :)

I'm now interested into water cooling man, what's a good price/performance kit for CPU only under $100 US?

Thanks!

taylormsj

no watercooling kit will be better than a high end air cooler, unless you look at the swiftech kits, i think they are more than 100$ tho.

It goes

high end water > high end air > low end cheap water kits > stock heatsinks

Either get a custom water set up, or dont bother if you are looking for high end cooling performance. If its just for looks, then get whatever