Liquid Cooling 101 - Needs Updating

ducis

if your going to liquid cool you should be prepared to spend at least 300 dollars and do a proper DIY setup
in my books its goes

Multistage cascade cooling>LN2O>Single stage phase change>Phase Change Chilled Liquid Cooling>DICE (solid CO2)>high end WCing >High end aircooling & quality low end watercooling> low end watercooling> stock heatsink>quiet coolers

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
no watercooling kit will be better than a high end air cooler, unless you look at the swiftech kits, i think they are more than 100$ tho.

It goes

high end water > high end air > low end cheap water kits > stock heatsinks

Either get a custom water set up, or dont bother if you are looking for high end cooling performance. If its just for looks, then get whatever
+1

I believe I spent around $300-$350 for my entire setup, but I have room to upgrade if I chose, so I decided to go with a higher quality pump, radiator, etc. I've never been a huge fan of kits, I always prefer buying the parts and building it yourself.

hi i am using air cooling at the moment

if liquid cooling hard to setup? like fit all the parts into the case
i have a antec 900 case atm (has 2 holes for water cooling tubes to fit into)

are the seals hard or easy to make a mistake and have the whole thing leak and make ya need to buy all the hardware again

Geoff

VIP Member
hi i am using air cooling at the moment

if liquid cooling hard to setup? like fit all the parts into the case
i have a antec 900 case atm (has 2 holes for water cooling tubes to fit into)

are the seals hard or easy to make a mistake and have the whole thing leak and make ya need to buy all the hardware again
I had my water cooling system in my Antec 900 as well. I built mine from scratch, it's not too hard to setup, you just need to make sure that you buy parts which are all compatible. The best way to check is to make sure they take the same ID (inner dimension) size tubing.

The hardest part for me was mounting the waterpump, since the PSU is on the bottom there isn't much room.

Very Nice, but my question is "Is water cooling worth the chance of having a leak and losing all that you worked so hard to build????

just a noob

thats why you leak test for 24 hours with nothing turned on other than the pumps and fans, if you don't trust hose clamps, get compression fittings, but they can be up to 7 dollars a piece

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Just a tip guys. The "Conductive Free" coolant is complete utter crap. Its a marketing scheme. In fact, some people have done tests and the distilled water lasted longer. The thing is, nothing its 100% conductive free.

I would also suggest mixing your own coolant with distilled water, mixed with a small amount of antifreeze and ptnuke, or a few drops of povidone iodine to keep it clean.

The coolants you buy already mixed are expensive, do not transfer heat as well, and almost all of them leave "gunk" in your blocks over time (ie: UV reactive ect.).