Mac?

`PaWz

banned
I believe he said a while back in this thread that if you wanted equivalents of all the software that comes with a mac for a pc, you would have to spend so much money that it would cost as much as a macbook anyway.

PaWz, read up on things. Vista/xp you can make dvd's, cd's, movies, ect. If you want to edit/create songs, just buy one for $40-100.

Hey, what software kinds of things does a macbook come with that a pc doesn't?

`PaWz

banned
I'm not disagreeing with you.

But like, the reviews that I saw on google are arguing that WMM is horrible compared to iMovie (actually, just horrible period.). I don't know of any other video editing software that is comparable, but maybe you would know.

Last edited:
ok I didn't understand. Even if pc's can't "edit and create" songs or mix songs, download a song program or dj suite for less than $100. it's not like everything for windows is the same price as photoshop..

tlarkin

VIP Member
again, you have no idea what you are talking about, but here let me help you.

To make that Dell as close as spec to the standard entry level macbook pro you need to make it have this:

Recalculating Price

XPS M1530
Starting Price $2,483
Instant Savings $599
Subtotal $1,884
As low as $57/month
Dell Preferred Account for PCs, laptops, and computer accessoriesApply | Learn More

Discount Details
Preliminary Ship Date: 5/13/20081

Keep in Touch with Free Webcams – PCs Starting at $699 after instant savings.
Limited time offer.
Offer Details

My Selections All Options
# XPS M1530

Date 4/29/2008 3:20:50 PM Central Standard Time
Catalog Number 29 Retail 19
Catalog Number / Description Product Code SKU Id
System Color:
Tuxedo Black BKDMSAT [313-6439] 2
XPS M1530:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache) H83DHN [223-5880] 1
Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition VU3E [310-9764][412-1056][420-5769][420-5924][420-6436][420-6815][420-6995][420-7590][463-2282] 11
LCD, Color and camera:
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 M DXGAPLC [320-6693] 5
Memory:
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms) 4GB2D [311-7823] 3
Hard Drives:
Size: 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive 320GB [341-5865] 8
Combo or DVD+RW Drive:
Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write) 8XDVDRW [313-5820][420-8183] 16
Video Card:
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT 25686GT [320-6082] 6
Wireless Networking Cards:
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card IP4965 [430-2449] 19
Bluetooth and Wireless USB:
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate) H355I [430-2566] 121
Primary Battery:
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery 6BAT [312-0638] 27
Sound Card:
ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi® Xtreme Audio Sound Card 1165160 [A1165160] 17
SECURITY:
Finger Print Reader XPS M1530 FPRDR [467-2337] 80
Dell Printer Driver:
Windows Vista™ Premium VPN [310-8628] 750
Software - Adobe:
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1 ADOBER [420-7468] 15
Processor Branding:
Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor ICNSNB [310-9348] 749
Doms Camera and Color:
High Res, Black glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2MP Ca KXGTPLC [320-6797][420-7715] 748
Software - Antivirus:
Trend Micro Internet Security 36-months TM3Y [410-1176] 25
Productivity:
No Microsoft Office MSONO [412-1397] 22
Warranty & Service:
3Yr In-Home Service, Parts Labor, 24x7 Phone Support SQ3OS [412-0359][950-3339][960-3652][960-8710][983-5942][984-2360][988-5617][988-5618] 29
Accident and Theft Protection:
Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 3Yr Warr. CCLJ3 [412-0358][960-9188][988-0679][A0767895] 33
DataSafe Online Backup:
10GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Year DASF10G [420-7091][420-7285][987-7449][988-0099] 813
Dial-Up Internet Access:
No ISP requested NISP [412-0148] 37

This is because the screen that comes with the entry level XPS does not display the same resolution as the MBP standard, so you have to buy a more expensive screen. Add in Vista Ultimate because of all the OS features Leopard has standard, the only one that compares is Ultimate, which costs you more money. Next add in the full ABGN wireless card (since most of them only are BGN, and at my work we run a strict A network), that adds more money. Optical audio out so you had to upgrade the audio. Then it is almost comparable, or as close as you can get it and it is at a price of $1,884, and that is after a $500 dollar discount? So, really the suggested retail price of that Dell is $2,483.00. Which is about $500 dollars more than the entry level Mac Book Pro. However, we are comparing at the price of $1,884.00 for argument sake.

it still lacks the magnetic AC adapter, the back lit keyboard, HDMI out, Ambient light sensor, sudden motion sensor, it has crappier speakers, multi touch track pad. I could not find the exact weight and dimensions of the Dell, but I can only assume it is not 1" thick, and probably heavier than the MBP. If anyone can supply data please link it. It also does not list that is has any firewire ports, and the MBP has firewire and firewire 2 as well (400 and 800). That is before I add the fact that iLife comes free with all new Macs, but I won't even bring software into this one, we will keep it hardware.

I could not find any comparable data on the battery life of either, so we will just assume they are around the same ball park for arguments sake.

So take all the standard features it does not have and the price tag of nearly $1900 to make it comparable to the $1999 Macbook Pro. I would say for a mere $150 more the Mac is way worth it.

Apple Macbook Pro spec sheet for your reference

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...p_mac/family/macbook_pro&sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY

The Dell XPS I built is listed above.

Dude you have no idea what you are talking about. Someone else help me talk to this wacko.

Optional blu ray with 2.4ghz processor
250 gigs
same graphics
twice the ram
or 2.5ghz processor
ALL beat the mbp

the MBP wins on the "LED" screen. Add that in and it's still cheaper. It's a $200 upgrade from the base screen on the dell. No, it doesn't need vista ultimate. Plus, you added the 320 gig hard drive

here
SYSTEM COLORTuxedo BlackeditPROCESSORIntel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)editOPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista® Ultimate EditioneditLCD AND CAMERAHigh Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 MeditMEMORY4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)editHARD DRIVESize: 250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard DriveeditINTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVESlot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)editVIDEO CARD256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GTeditWIRELESS CARDSDell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-cardeditBATTERY OPTIONS56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary BatteryeditSOUND OPTIONSHigh Definition Audio 2.0editFINGERPRINT SCANNERFinger Print Reader XPS M1530edit

for $100 less with upgraded windows version, AND $200 more screen. Still better ram, hard drive, fingerprint reader. IDK where you got that $2500 price. It was obviously not true.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Dude you have no idea what you are talking about. Someone else help me talk to this wacko.

Well prove me wrong man, you won't be able to, but go ahead and try. It is only fair that you add the screen and the OS and the wireless to make it even comparable to what a Macbook Pro has standard. It is still lacking features, and it lacks all kinds of software. Windows Movie Maker is a joke, and WMP can't even play a DVD out of the box with out a codec installed.

The only advantage the Dell has out of the box is that it has 2 more Gigs of RAM. Otherwise it lacks dozens of standard features that the Mac has out of the box. You can add 2 gigs of after market ram fairly cheap too.

see my edited post. It is $100 less than the MBP with twice the ram, same processor, led screen, fingerprint reader, and better hard drive.

dude - u added 3 year lojack and 3 year support to the dell. Macbook does not come with that support. It's an upgrade, and so is lojack. Next time, read the specs.

Hey for the op's budget, my laptop is a good gaming choice. ($2092 includes tax and shipping)
My laptop has 2x the ram, faster hdd (less space), vista home premium, built in lightup keyboard and lid/touchpad areas, can lightup different colors, pulse lighting, better graphics card than the macbook laptops. Alienware is overpriced BTW.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Dude that warranty comes standard, there is no option to take it off. Dell loses so much money to its competitors for making a crappy product they have to price drop and offer services like that.

I did read the specs, but whatever I mean you are 14 and most likely know everything right?:rolleyes:

Bottom line is, for what the OP was asking, yes the Macbook Pro is one of the best laptops you can buy hands down. If they sucked and were so over priced why would they be used for serious work? Why would they corner the movie and music industry?

For the record, Vista Home Premium does not offer the same features as Leopard does, only Ultimate does that is why I added that for comparison.

Like I said to begin with, if you would never use those features and don't prefer Mac OS X, then a PC would be better for you, but to argue that it is over priced is asinine, incorrect and completely ignorant.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Ok lets see

1. iMovie does not have a crash every two hours (like WMM)
2. It's more orginazed than windows
3. Time machine - So you dont need 400 discs to back up 40days of your life
4. Spaces - I really use this feature alot. It can have upto twelve screens on one monitor. Just hit CTRL And the Up,Down,Left,Right button and you get a new screen and you can go back and foward
5. Garage band - I get alot of fun out of this - What does Windows have, Oh yea Sound recorder
6. No drivers need to be diggen.

Oh yea. Every person I know who has a pc got a blue screen of death atleast 13times

Eh...some of those points are kind of weak. First of all, I've never had WMM crash on me, or did I ever get a BSOD, at least not since Windows ME. Next, as for all those softwares, I can think of comparable windows software that does the exact same job, just not all preloaded onto your computer. Now this could be either good or bad, depending on how much you use them. Personally for me it's bad, as I like having the minimal softwares I need on my computer.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Video cards only count in performance in two areas: 1) gaming and 2) 3D rendering. If you want to play the newest games that the highest settings, yeah sure, a macbook pro may not be your best bet. If you want to do 3D rendering, none of those gaming cards are what you want, you would want a render card like a Quadro.

Secondly, my analogy still stands, because the macbook pro will out perform almost every laptop on features alone. I mean for one, it is the only laptop that can run pretty much every OS out there. Next it has every feature built in standard. Sure some laptops come with blue tooth, some come with ABGN wireless, some come with a back lit keyboard (I still haven't see any others that do, but I will take Speedy's word on it), some may come with FW 2 and a built in camera, but no laptop comes with all of that standard. Plus have all of that standard and only be 1" thick.

Your arguments hold no water and you don't know what you are talking about. 8600GT video card is absolutely fine for every application except for the two I mentioned, and even then it would still get the job done just not as good as perhaps a few other video cards out there. Why do you think Hollywood movies get edited on a freaking macbook pro? Did you know post production editing for Transformers was done all on Macs?

Now take into consideration the innovation that goes into a Macbook Pro. let me start by saying, the mag-safe AC-adapter connection is just pure freaking genius. It is held by a small magnet, so if I get up and go and forget that my laptop is plugged in I don't rip it out the DC port on my laptop. Which, trust me is a huge common problem amongst all laptop users. Next, the ambient light sensor. I am in my living room typing away and it is dusk and the sun starts to go down and my room darkens. My keyboard automatically back lights, and the screen automatically adjusts brightness to compensate staying with in my power consumption settings. I need to sync my cell phone contacts, well no problem because with isync and blue tooth I just pair them, hit sync and voila, all my contacts are instantly backed up. I can also sync any type of PDA or of course my iPhone (if I had one). iSync works with iCal as well as email clients and office documents. Sure there is some left to be desired but that is because not all developers keep up with the Mac platform. I have a digital camera and i want to take off all the pictures real quick and organize them. iPhoto requires no drivers at all, it just works plain and simple. I dump all of them in there and it instantly organizes them by date and whatever I want to do it further. I can then burn photo CDs by simply dragging them into albums or create a slide show with music, then dump that slide into iMovie and I can add post effects, voice over, whatever. Create my own custom music in Garage band and dump it into iMovie as well. Then take that final project to iDvd and make menus for it and author it so it can play in a stand alone DVD player.

The fact that all these applications and features just work smoothly, simply, fast and efficient with a stream line and ergonomic design, I can easily compare any Mac to a Porsche. The bottom line is, whatever you own and whatever you do with it, you want it to work and work all the time. Apple accomplishes that in a way no one else quite does, and for that I have to tip my hat to them. There is some left to be desired but in the end I would prefer to have quality over quantity.

End of story.

For the record I am not a Mac elitist either. I use Linux on the PC side a lot, and I don't mind XP. I don't like nor will I support Vista, too much DRM for my taste, not to mention software bloat. I am not a huge fan of iTunes really, and would prefer to not use it but I have an iPod.

I do agree macs have some very interesting innovations but I do not think that they alone should make a computer superior. For one, I personally do not want to spend that much money on all the "extra" features, such as back lit keyboards and such. As for simplicity, Macs do make things easy, but IMO, sometimes things are made a little too easy. Finally for the drivers, I seriously don't remember the last time I couldn't find drivers I needed (besides those cheap stuff I bought in china with zero support :rolleyes:). And lets be honest...when was the last time your digital camera needed drivers to load pictures to your PCs...at least I've never used one that needed drivers :).

I chatted with one of apple's support tech, and this is what they said.

plplplpltl3.jpg

As you can see, one year warranty. Here is the webpage itself.

lplplplplplo2.jpg

So there was no reason to add dell's 3 year warranty into the equation.
Dell's warranty is equal. Yet another mac user trying to convince people that apple is cheaper. *sigh*

tlarkin

VIP Member
No, I haven't needed drivers for much you are correct most of it is native.

Too simple? I don't understand while people think that is a bad thing. Would you rather have something over complicated and search around in an application or an OS for 20+ minutes trying to find some minute feature to turn on or off, or would you just rather have it work and have it streamlined? KISS - keep it simple stupid, is the best way to do it.

My main point is, that the Dell spec for spec compared to a Mac book Pro is only $150 dollars less, give or take. Add in all the features and innovations I mentioned, and I think all of that is easily worth $150 dollars. Plus the no spyware, no viruses, is well worth it as well.

That is not even including software, because iLife owns all built in windows applications hands down. I have used both, and Windows Movie Maker is clunky and feature lacking. I would compare iMovie HD to a lite weight version of Adobe Premiere to be honest. Then if you want to author DVDs, well there is another $100.

You can put third party RAM in a Mac, and I never buy RAM from Apple direct, it is too expensive. So, we will say if you bump the Macbook Pro up to 4 Gig, another 2gig stick is like $30 to $60 dollars.

My argument isn't which one is better, it is that it is not really over priced when you match it up spec for spec and include software and all the features.

did you see my earlier post about how you lied on dell's price? Dell has 1 year so does the MBP.

KISS is from the office. Next time, cite it.

On a pc, you can get a sub $1000 laptop with average specs. On a pc, you can get a laptop with the 8800 graphics card, 2.8ghz dual core processor, blu-ray options, ect. Macbooks don't have the best or worst options for configs.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Travis

You still don't get it. I never said that the Apple has a three year warranty, I said that the Dell does standard, and you can not take it off for a discount it is included in the price. I guess that is one thing Dell has over. Considering the failure rate of a Dell versus an Apple I would say you would probably need it

I never said Apple had a three year warranty and extended warranties are pretty much a waste of money to begin with.

Look man, just admit it that they are not over priced, even when I built that Dell spec for spec I could never get it more than $150ish cheaper than the Mac, with the Dell lacking tons of features, being bigger and heavier, and proving my point all together.

They are the Porsche of the laptop world.

The dell xps notebook does not. You went to a pre-configured model. OMG. dell.com/xps, go to xps notebooks, do the $999 model, and do config.

You . I am not admitting anything about the pc being overpriced. The porche of the laptop world is voodoo pc's, alienware, hypersonic, asus, sager, and dell gaming notebooks.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
The dell xps notebook does not. You went to a pre-configured model. OMG. dell.com/xps, go to xps notebooks, do the $999 model, and do config.

You childish moron. I am not admitting anything about the pc being overpriced. The porche of the laptop world is voodoo pc's, alienware, hypersonic, asus, sager, and dell gaming notebooks.

Dude, a Porsche would not run windows, LOL, nor would they be those bulky heavy blocky chunks of plastic that is a gaming laptop. A Porsche would perform and look sleek. I owned a German sports car before, trust me I used to drive like a bat out of hell with it, and got several speeding tickets in the process. If anything they (gaming PC laptops) would be more like a muscle car, big bulky, powerful, but lacks features that of a European sports car which is also fast, but sleek.

I did custom build it dude, I went through the whole build and added the higher resolution screen, the proper wireless, the proper OS comparable to Leopard. I built it as close as possible regarding all the features.

here is where you are missing out. You don't think you would have any need for those features so you think it is over priced, however to someone who wants those or likes those it is worth it to them.

The bottom line is that they are not over priced. You realize you need to upgrade the basic screen on every XPS model to get one that supports the resolutions that the MBP does standard right? Did you even read my build?

A porche is fast. Lots of horsepower. The pro is not fast and horsepower. If you want that, get dell gaming notebook with sli 8800's and a Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X9000 processor with dual solid state drives.

FACTIONHordeeditPROCESSORIntel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X9000(2.8GHz/800Mhz FSB/6M L2 Cache)editOPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista® Ultimate EditioneditMEMORY4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHzeditHARD DRIVERAID Performance: 128GB (2x64GB) Solid State DriveeditINTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVEBlu-ray / DVD / CD Burner (Blu-ray Disc Drive)editVIDEO CARDNVIDIA® SLI™ Dual GeForce® 8800M GTX with 1GB GDDR3 MemoryeditWIRELESS CARDSIntel® PRO/Wireless 4965 a/g/n Mini CardeditMOBILE BROADBANDNo Mobile Broadband selectededitBLUETOOTH OPTIONSBuilt-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)editSOUND OPTIONSHigh Definition Audio 2.0

$7169

@larkin
I obviously read about the $200 upgrade for dell, I mentioned it on my posts. Do you read them?

I customized a voodoo pc for over $9000
hw171_bavaria_white.jpg

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
A porche is fast. Lots of horsepower. The pro is not fast and horsepower. If you want that, get dell gaming notebook with sli 8800's and a Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X9000
processor with dual solid state drives.

SLI is a marketing scheme, go read up on it. SLI offers no real world performance at all, and in gaming only minute performance increases and sometimes not even any. It is ultimately a waste of money.

Either way, your points and arguments can not counter what I have proved. The Mac is not over priced, it is competitively priced, and if someone wants one who the hell cares? How does it affect your life if someone is using a Mac over a gaming laptop?

Gaming is a niche market man, only a small percentage of computer users are gamers, and even smaller amount of that are hardcore gamers. With the exception of WoW, but those people have no life as South Park proved.

You have obviously never used a Mac or spent any significant time with OS X, you are just basing your opinions off your own biases. I provided facts and links, and while the 3 year warranty may be optional that still does not mean much, since the original Dell you posted is no where near to spec to an out of the box Macbook Pro.

They are not over priced, they are just loaded with features and software, and if I wanted to be a jerk about it I would have counted the hundreds and hundreds of dollars of software a Mac comes with that would drive the cost of the Dell probably another $1k or so.

tlarkin

VIP Member
A porche is fast. Lots of horsepower. The pro is not fast and horsepower. If you want that, get dell gaming notebook with sli 8800's and a Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X9000 processor with dual solid state drives.

FACTIONHordeeditPROCESSORIntel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X9000(2.8GHz/800Mhz FSB/6M L2 Cache)editOPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista® Ultimate EditioneditMEMORY4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHzeditHARD DRIVERAID Performance: 128GB (2x64GB) Solid State DriveeditINTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVEBlu-ray / DVD / CD Burner (Blu-ray Disc Drive)editVIDEO CARDNVIDIA® SLI™ Dual GeForce® 8800M GTX with 1GB GDDR3 MemoryeditWIRELESS CARDSIntel® PRO/Wireless 4965 a/g/n Mini CardeditMOBILE BROADBANDNo Mobile Broadband selectededitBLUETOOTH OPTIONSBuilt-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)editSOUND OPTIONSHigh Definition Audio 2.0

$7169

@larkin
I obviously read about the $200 upgrade for dell, I mentioned it on my posts. Do you read them?

How does that even compare to a Macbook Pro? They aren't spec'd the same. The Dell I posted was spec'd the same and only $150 cheaper, and that was after a $500 instant online savings.

Oh and good luck calling India when you need support for your Dell.

You said the mac is the porche. A porche is "premium". I called dell 3 times for asking about upgrades on my old dell desktop, and only got Americans.

@u didnt go to the right site to get that price. As I said, dell.com/xps, notebooks, 15.4", $999.

Mac's have less than 12 percent of the market share. More people on this forum own a pc. I will not argue with 12 percent of the population. Go talk to my 88 percent over in the gaming section.

Last edited: