Mac?

tlarkin

VIP Member
What I meant by too simple is that all the advance controls are neatly tucked away, at least the macs our school has is. So sometimes when I want to fine tweak something, I have to look around a lot for it. But then again, it's probably just me not being used to using macs.

And I do agree that macs come with better preloaded software. And also how big of a difference is there between the iMovie and the HD version? The emacs at our school are all loaded with iMovie, and I find it lacking some features.

You don't have access to everything probably, and that makes sense. Everything is accessible via system preferences or under the utilities folder. No drilling down through the mess that is the windows vista control panel.

iMovie HD has HD support for high def video and high def video recording devices and is part of iLife 08. You probably have iLife 05 or 06 or something like that.

tlarkin

VIP Member
oh look what I found - 25 percent off a $1350+ dell xps notebook
now look at this

I just configed this m1530 for $1999
2.4ghz
320gigs
4gb ram
8600 graphics
1440 high res display
Blu-Ray Drive

I knew better than to feed the teenage trolls....:rolleyes:

The only coupon I see is a $50 off coupon on Dell's site. I know that Dell does have some crazy deals if you can get them but they are limited and well they don't use standard parts, they use crap parts. That is how they actually live through that mark down. Mark up and profit margin on hardware is very small, and if they offered everyone 25% off every laptop they would go out of business, if they actually were selling them that is.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Hey now, My Dell has awesome speakers in it. Much better than my parents Macbook.

Ok sure, but I am talking about a mac book pro here that is what we are comparing.

Sure macbooks do have crappy speakers, but so does every 1000 dollar and under laptop.

tlarkin

VIP Member
My laptop was $1000, and it has good speakers...

eh, good for a laptop, or good? In my experience laptop speakers suck until you hit the 1500+ mark and they actually put like 2" speakers in there instead of a little paper cone speaker.

Either way, I'll take your word for it as that is not a big deal. I have already proven that Macs are not over priced.

Yet I have proven they are overpriced. Notice you can get a dell with coupons with
a bigger hard drive
more ram
Blu-ray drive
for the same price as a macbook pro.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yet I have proven they are overpriced. Notice you can get a dell with coupons with
a bigger hard drive
more ram
Blu-ray drive
for the same price as a macbook pro.

Show us the coupon smart guy, link it, then prove me wrong.

The fact of the matter is they are fairly priced for what you get, and you cannot dispute that. This forum is filled with misinformed teenagers giving out false facts.

I actually supported my findings with links and spec'd out the exact Dell you were talking about and there was only a $50.00 difference.

The fact is that you and the rest of the people that have posted on this thread are wrong, and are posting misinformation about the value of a Mac computer.

You are following this like it is a spectator sport, there is no home field advantage with either platform. The original poster said from a non gaming perspective, and this is why I hate all the young two bit gamers who think they know everything (no offense to those who are actually level headed, you are beyond your years in maturity) when in fact you are all completely wrong in this thread.

Fact, your Dell can not do everything my MBP can do unless you spec it out and my MBP can do everything your Dell can. I have played Crysis on my MBP, and while it did not run at full settings it was by far easily playable.

This thread should be closed period and this forum shouldn't allow any more mac threads because all of them end up this way. The only thing I am trying to do is give helpful information to the original poster instead of plastering it with wrong facts and biased opinions. I have never stated my opinion yet.

My opinion is that Vista ruined windows completely and having been a windows user since probably before you could even use a computer and pretty much fully switched over to a Mac, and the only thing I use my PC is for gaming, with the exception of Linux which I use on all my PCs but my one slow ass bloated windows box. The rest of my PCs are Macs, and they are all stable, fast, do what I want them to do and have every feature I need them to have. If you have to game and don't want to run windows on your mac (which runs fine) or don't want all the features a mac has (you can't buy a stripped mac) then go buy a PC laptop and be done with it. I could care less what you own or what you do with your computer, it is after all your money and your computer. However, I will stop people from spreading ridiculous totally wrong opinions as if they were facts.

if the OP wants a Mac what the hell does it matter to you? You came here to pick an argument and you have lost. You are wrong, and I have proved it and the evidence is here in the thread. They are not over priced, but you can't buy a stripped one, so if those features do not appease your needs then don't buy it. At the same time don't say it is over priced because if you actually could build a Dell part for part exactly spec'd to a MBP, then it would cost more. Same thing with a Mac Pro, a Mac Pro is cheaper than any dual xeon Dell desktop.

Maybe it's because dell doesn't like you.

okay go here
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1530?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

$1499 for one with 4gigs of ram, 2.4ghz, 320 gigs, 8600 graphics. $500 for blu-ray or just $1499 alone. Save $599.
it comes with 3 years warranty, the $1499 standard

If you config it, you get vista ultimate, 2.5ghz, LED display, 320gb, 4gb ram, 8600 graphics, for $1774
plus the free 3 year warranty

now if you don't mind, I need to do my homework.

Last edited:

`PaWz

banned
They have a limit on how many times the coupon can be used, maybe that's why.

Edit: Oh, I think I know what you did. You can't just click on the coupon link. You have to build the laptop and then enter the coupon code in your cart.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Your link doesn't work and I still can't build that dell for less than $1900ish with out a blu ray disk, spec for spec it is the same.

will a mod please just lock this thread

Maybe it's because dell doesn't like you.

okay go here
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1530?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

$1499 for one with 4gigs of ram, 2.4ghz, 320 gigs, 8600 graphics. $500 for blu-ray or just $1499 alone. Save $599.
it comes with 3 years warranty, the $1499 standard

If you config it, you get vista ultimate, 2.5ghz, LED display, 320gb, 4gb ram, 8600 graphics, for $1774
plus the free 3 year warranty

now if you don't mind, I need to do my homework.

This is what I mean. Save $600 on the xps notebook with great configs.

tlarkin

VIP Member
OK, it says to click on the link and it will add it, I did it manually and built it spec for spec, here is a screen shot

$1619.25

original price = $2159.00

Macbook Pro = $1999

The Dell still is lacking some features the Mac has out of the box and that isn't including software

`PaWz

banned
To be honest, I wouldn't consider a backlit keyboard or magnetic ac adapter a "missing feature" worth noting on the Dell.

Is the Blu Ray included in that price?

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
To be honest, I wouldn't consider a backlit keyboard or magnetic ac adapter a "missing feature" worth noting on the Dell.

Is the Blu Ray included in that price?

No that is built spec for spec. no blu ray

It is missing the ambient light sensor, the SMS sensor, Firewire 800, no HD video output, multi touch track pad (no mention of that on the Dell), and of course all the bundled software that the Mac comes with. That is all well worth easily $300.00.

They both have a standard 1 year warranty, same screen, same processor, same amount of RAM, I didn't upgrade the HD in the Dell, add another $50 to 75 to make it a 200 gig, not a big deal, and same video card, with most of the same spec'd features.

Again I rest my case.

#EDIT

Oh and the MBP is lighter and thinner, that to me is a feature of a laptop since I actually carry mine around all day every day for work.

Last edited:

`PaWz

banned
I wouldn't buy a blu ray burner for that. You can save $200 by buying a blu ray burner for your desktop computer, if you have one.

$1999 for blu-ray

1.go to this link
http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

2. then go to browse laptops

3. click on the m1530

4. There are a 4 models to choose from, the rightmost being the $1499 model.

5. Click "build yours" on the $1499 model

6. Add the blu-ray option and look at the specs :)

So from my link it's $1499 for
320gigs/vista premium (not ultimate sorry)/dvd burner/high res/2.4ghz/8600

If you add the blu-ray, it's $500 more or upgrade the specs.

The $1499 model comes with 3 years standard warranty.