Messenger and IE problems

leah

Cromewell said:
Trillain can autorespond if you are set to away, but that might not be what was happening.

So you can get IE to run but it freezes when opening hotmail or freezes when opening any site?

It freezes only when I open hotmail. All other sites are fine.

I dont think that was the problem with Trillian - it would sometimes happen when I was right in the middle of a conversation and I was not set to away.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
open up task manager, maximize the window, take a screenshot and post it on here. it may be a problem with a program thats running.oh and Save it as a jpeg or itll be a very big file

leah

Today is not my day, I cant even manage to take a screen shot (keep in mind, if it isnt obvious yet - Im fairly illiterate when it comes to computers :eek: )

Does it help if I tell you what is running?

Explorer
Avgemc
Logitray
Avgcc
Fxsvr2
Lvcomsx
Qttask
Systray
Stimon

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Screen shot is alt + print screen then paste it into something like paint.
All other sites are fine.
When you say all other sites are fine have you tried other secure sites?

leah

I sure hope you guys dont get tired of me :)

When I press alt + print screen nothing happens - should something come up asking me where to save it?

I can get onto my banking site and ebay just fine............

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
you have to open a program like paint and paste the the screen shot into it, it wont ask you anything

leah

screenshot.jpg
[/IMG]

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Everything that is shown as running seems ok. Try opening windows explorer and going to the msn directory (usually c:\program files\msn messenger) and opening msnmsgr.exe directly
edit: just saw the virus post, I'll have a solution in a few...

leah

OK - It's official, if I wasnt lost before, I sure am now :)

The instructions (in a nut shell):

Now you can remove Java.Bytever.A and its associated files. Start Windows in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key as Windows begins to boot. Start your Web browser and point it to Trend Micro HouseCall, a free online virus scanner, at housecall.trendmicro.com. Click the Scan Now button and follow the on-screen instructions. When it finds a virus, click the Clean button to remove it. (Let HouseCall check your entire system; because Java.Bytever.A works in tandem with other malware, there could be several infected files.) When it is done, restart your computer and return to the System Restore window to re-enable that feature.

------I can get into Safe Mode thats about it. Should I be able to get to IE while in Safe Mode because it's not happening. Also, when I did the virus scan earlier, it told me it was unable to clean it. I'm so confused :eek:

leah

Cromewell said:
Everything that is shown as running seems ok. Try opening windows explorer and going to the msn directory (usually c:\program files\msn messenger) and opening msnmsgr.exe directly

Still nothing............I'm gonna throw this computer out the window in a minute :eek:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to load IE in safe mode, pick the option with networking support. If it doesn't work try firefox. It should be able to clean the file in safe mode (it was probably in use and therefore locked down by windows during a normal boot).

If for whatever reason it still isn't cleanable, back up anything you want/need to keep, format and reinstall