Messenger and IE problems

leah said:
I just talked to a friend of mine and he suggested I download and run anti-vere (sp?) has anyone heard of this or know where I can download from?

Thanks

Edit - nevermind - found it - its called AntiVir :)

Its maybe a good idea to ask your friend .as he told you to download it ... ;)

Buzz1927

Digaredd
It is AntiVir. You can download it here. Although I don't think a virus is the problem, it would have shown up in your hijackthis log.

leah

Buzz1927 said:
It is AntiVir. You can download it here. Although I don't think a virus is the problem, it would have shown up in your hijackthis log.

I downloaded and ran the program in Safe Mode. It did find 2 trojans. However, you are right - they were not the cause of my problems :(

leah

evilxp2800 said:
Did u get ur msn messanger working because if you goto www.mess.be dont mess ..Mess with messanger ...and there should be a none install version of msn messanger i will find it give me 30mins

Edit : try this one replace ment for msn but still supports Msn Account s

http://www.cracksoft.net/downloads/GillyMessenger-Full.exe

Thanks for the info. I have been using msn web messenger and I tried trillian. I know that there are other messengers out there but, it's gotten to the point where it is a matter of principal :) I want my msn messenger 7.0 back and I want it back now!!!!!!!! :eek:

Rant over :)

dynamitecid99

leah, I MIGHT know you're problem. Just boot your computer up competely normal. When it comes on (i mean when the desktop shows up) press ctrl+alt+del, and open the task manager. Then end EVERY task you do not need. I'm not sure what those programs were you were running but do NOT end "Explorer" or "systray" you should only have like 3 or 4 tasks running. Then try opening messenger.

leah

dynamitecid99 said:
leah, I MIGHT know you're problem. Just boot your computer up competely normal. When it comes on (i mean when the desktop shows up) press ctrl+alt+del, and open the task manager. Then end EVERY task you do not need. I'm not sure what those programs were you were running but do NOT end "Explorer" or "systray" you should only have like 3 or 4 tasks running. Then try opening messenger.

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried - no luck...........

leah

Just wondering......

I still have msn messenger installed.

Someone on another site seemed to be having the same problem as I am. It was suggested that they:

1) Start>Run
2) Type %windir% press enter
3) Open Application and then open Microsoft folder
4) Click on MSN Messenger and delete it.

Does it mean anything that I do not have MSN Messenger in the Microsoft folder - yet it is apparantly installed?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
it's possible, and worth a shot, if it doesn't work at least you can say you tried it. have you tried going to c:\program files\MSN Messenger and opening the exe file directly?

leah

Cromewell said:
it's possible, and worth a shot, if it doesn't work at least you can say you tried it. have you tried going to c:\program files\MSN Messenger and opening the exe file directly?

Nope - won't open from there either :(

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It'll be good/interesting to find out what the fix is, it's hard to really troubleshoot over a forum.