Messenger and IE problems

leah

I found it - am I supposed to delete temporary internet files? It says I should be an advanced user to do this - now Im in trouble - lol

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
evilxp2800 said:
Well you cant Be because Windows XP Dont Support Internet In Safe Mode ..i have Treid on my Computer and its dont work
yes it does, select the option safe mode with networking. im with cable broadband though, dont know if it makes a difference though

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Someone on another forum had the same problem as you. This was the advice given.
1. Exit MSN Messenger completely.
2. Click Start, the Run, type regedit and click OK.
3. Navigate to:
MyComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger
4. Click (don't double-click) the MSNMessenger key. It should simply highlight the name.
5. Go to the Edit menu and click Delete. Click Yes to confirm the operation.
6. Install MSN Messenger 7.x or 6 and sign in!
7. Done

leah

Buzz1927 said:
Someone on another forum had the same problem as you. This was the advice given.
3. Navigate to:
4. Click (don't double-click) the MSNMessenger key. It should simply highlight the name.
7. Done

Thanks Buzz - I'll give it a try :)

leah

Buzz1927 said:
3. Navigate to:
7. Done

Hmmm...this is interesting...I got to MyComputer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software - thats it. The software file was empty? Whats up with that?

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Well, the instructions from the other forum said MSNmessenger. Try that first and see if it works, if not you could try the others.

leah

Buzz1927 said:
Well, the instructions from the other forum said MSNmessenger. Try that first and see if it works, if not you could try the others.

Thank you for not losing patience with me. I ended up deleting all of them - still nothing.

leah

Buzz1927 said:
Might be because you couldn't do it in CURRENT_USER. I'll see if I can find any other ideas.

Thanks Buzz :)

What about this that I found on another forum---

"
Why use msn messenger at all,its really designed to be used with internet
explorer on msn (a dial-up ISP),you should delete msn messenger,download
and reinstall messenger 4.7 for xp,you can also go to downloads at microsoft,
use the scroll bar,scroll to windows messenger,dwnload 4.7,then look for
msn add-in.This lets you use the benifits of msn messenger w/o installing it.

"

Not sure if I am reading this right. Keep in mind I am using Win98 and not xp but, is it possible something like this might work for me?

leah

Buzz1927 said:
I don't know if that'd work, it says "for xp". Couldn't hurt to try, or maybe you can find an alternative here.

I just talked to a friend of mine and he suggested I download and run anti-vere (sp?) has anyone heard of this or know where I can download from?

Thanks

Edit - nevermind - found it - its called AntiVir :)

Last edited: