Need help on my first build

ReMiXeDg

Got my Case and my H100i I didnt notice any thermal paste in the h100i box what aftermarket thermal paste can I buy?

OMG the texture and feeling of the NZXT case its so unique I love it cant wait to set up my hardware in it..

All I need now is the RAM and Power supply to come in the mail..

Then I am going to pick up three last things, SSD , Hard drive and my gtx980 evga 2.0 acx sc or should I go with the evga gtx 980 classified?

ninjabubbles3

The classified is the single fastest GPU out there, I highly recommend it.

Alao, glad u like the NZXT, im planning on getting it too

On the H100i, paste should be on the bottom of the pump, not in the box, its preapplied

tylerjrb

If you have the maximus hero, red themed board I would suggest the MSI gtx 980 twin frozr. Will go well with that red theme/ design plus it has an LED dragon logo :). Very good performing card and keeps cool in games never e
exeeding 70c even maxed out at 100%. Comes with MSI afterburner which is a really good overclocking software.

But if your set on the EVGA i would go with the EVGA 2.0,the classified seems to be quite a bit more expensive and there isnt that much else between them. You can overclock the card anyway.

Last edited:

ninjabubbles3

The classified has some sweet red accents, and keeps cool too.

I will admit its much more expensive, but I think its worth it

JayzTwoCents on youtube did a video review on it, I recommend you watch it

ReMiXeDg

The classified has some sweet red accents, and keeps cool too.

I will admit its much more expensive, but I think its worth it

JayzTwoCents on youtube did a video review on it, I recommend you watch it

yea i seen it it def is a nice one. its able to run 4k solo right?

i like the msi .. i may hold back a month and ill go with the classified or maybe the msi and overclock it as its going to be my first rig / first time overclocking and so on.

the msi running sli ill get good 4k perfomance right?

Last edited:

tylerjrb

The classified is the faster card, faster core and turbo clocks and will i guess overclock more than most cards with the provided software. But unless you plan running it on max clock 24/7 then its not worth it.

But having said that the EVGA 2.0 is $550 the MSI is around $570 whereas the classified is $705. Could SLI 970's for that price just saying. Yes the classified is slightly faster and slightly better performing but is it worth the extra cost. That is up to you to decide ;).

tylerjrb

yea i seen it it def is a nice one. its able to run 4k solo right?

i like the msi .. i may hold back a month and ill go with the classified or maybe the msi and overclock it as its going to be my first rig / first time overclocking and so on.

the msi running sli ill get good 4k perfomance right?

you will need 2 of any gtx 980's possibly 970's to run a smooth 60fps in high end games i.e bf4, skyrim, crysis etc at 4k resolutions. And no 1 EVGA 980 wont do a constant 60fps on 4k.

tylerjrb

The EVGA is the best but obviously at a cost, The MSI is also very good i can overclock mine in the region of 1500mhz+. It depends what games your looking to play and what graphics your looking to acheive.

For example mine will do 140+fps on bf4 with ultra settings but no Anti Aliasing or FXAA, its not really needed at 4k and doesnt make much difference quality wise. But with explosions and fighting it can drop to 100-110fps so a single card would do around 50-70fps+ with no anti-aliasing.

With anti-aliasing and FXAA it will do around 100fps and drop to around 70fps in large explosions, 64 combat etc. So a single card would again do 35-50fps with full anti aliasing on 4k.

I dont see the need to use AA on a 4k monitor or if so i run at lowest AA settings. My rig will do a constant 60fps with full AA and FXAA but i choose not to due to the minimal differences in quality. Not to mention FXAA makes it a bit to blury for me.

So you could get away with running battlefield 4 on 4k with high settings and no AA with 1 gtx 980. If your thinking about the EVGA classifed you can get a GTX 970 SLI for that and that will give you a solid 60fps on 4k and will by far outperform the single 980.

ReMiXeDg

i have to come up with the choice of going with the msi or evga.

i could always build the pc install windows etc and then install the graphics card when it comes in the mail ?

thanks a lot to the both of you . kudos

tyler what games you play on sli in 4k ?

tylerjrb

Skyrim, bf4, evil within, borderlands pre sequal, cod, bioshock infinite, many car racing games, l4d2, gta v when then comes out. I do play farcry 4 and assassins creed but they run really badly due to activision.

ReMiXeDg

would i be able to have the build running for a week or two without the graphics card? how is the intergraded graphics

ReMiXeDg

Got myself the evga card and a samsung evo ssd with a 600m powersupply..

Going to start the build tonight thanks everyone wish me luck

ReMiXeDg

im a bit stuck. with the power supply. do i use the cable that came with the power supply to power up the graphics card or do i use the two cables that came with the card? it looks like the wires that came with the card use an adapter to the old ide power looking wire. or

im am completly lost.. :( the wire that came with the power supply its called pcie i belive.