Need help on my first build

tylerjrb

restart your pc and hit the given command to enter bios on the start screen which is like f11 or delete.

If you have the maximus VII hero it will load up like this: http://www.illgaming.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/hero-7.jpg Might need to click onto advanced tab.

as you can see on the first tab it says memory frequency about 1/2 3/4 way down the page. Click that and it will bring up a list of frequencies. Click on the frequency that is the same as your stock RAM which is 2166mhz i beleive. Scroll down it should say DRAM voltage or something like that. Ensure that this is set to the same voltage as it says on the specifications on the RAM which for the g-skill on the first page of the thread is 1.6v. simply click and type 1.6 and hit enter. Restart pc and load bios it will then say the current RAM speed which should be 2166mhz. It will make a more noticable difference on desktop in opening apps etc over 1333mhz as it will be much faster. It will give you a few frames more on games however.

im pretty sure asus do some good videos on cpu overclocking and RAM overclocking. alternatively on this page in the bios you can set it to XMP as ninja has stated and it will automatically set to the given frequency. http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tweaker-1.jpg

Similarly to the cpu, you have the h100i correct? You can push the cpu pretty far over stock.

Last edited:

ReMiXeDg

restart your pc and hit the given command to enter bios on the start screen which is like f11 or delete.

If you have the maximus VII hero it will load up like this: http://www.illgaming.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/hero-7.jpg Might need to click onto advanced tab.

as you can see on the first tab it says memory frequency about 1/2 3/4 way down the page. Click that and it will bring up a list of frequencies. Click on the frequency that is the same as your stock RAM which is 2166mhz i beleive. Scroll down it should say DRAM voltage or something like that. Ensure that this is set to the same voltage as it says on the specifications on the RAM which for the g-skill on the first page of the thread is 1.6v. simply click and type 1.6 and hit enter. Restart pc and load bios it will then say the current RAM speed which should be 2166mhz. It will make a more noticable difference on desktop in opening apps etc over 1333mhz as it will be much faster. It will give you a few frames more on games however.

im pretty sure asus do some good videos on cpu overclocking and RAM overclocking. alternatively on this page in the bios you can set it to XMP as ninja has stated and it will automatically set to the given frequency. http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tweaker-1.jpg

Similarly to the cpu, you have the h100i correct? You can push the cpu pretty far over stock.
thanks and yea i got the h100i \
i notice cpu temps are always really really low how can i bump up to 4.4 ghz atleast

ninjabubbles3

thanks and yea i got the h100i \
i notice cpu temps are always really really low how can i bump up to 4.4 ghz atleast

I would say more like 4.7

Go into the bios, and find the CPU multiplier setting. It should be 40 right now. Each time you increase this number by 1, your CPU will go up 100 Mhz. There should also be an option for voltage. You increase this by increments of .05. Your max voltage should not be more than 1.4 at most.

Remember that I dont know too much about overclocking though, but im fairly sure this is how it works.

http://m.wikihow.com/Overclock-a-PC

tylerjrb

id think around 4.6ghz-4.8ghz should be fine for your build. The voltage will also be pretty low and under 1.5-1.6v will be fine but you would need 5.3ghz to acheive that. At around 4.6ghz mine is 1.225v and at 4.8 it is 1.325v so i generally run at 4.8 for games. saying on the stock settings it will turbo to 3.9ghz at intels setting of 1.392v in auto. you can adjust it to 1v stock and it will still run at this setting.

I would find a rough estimate for the voltage online type in like "cpu model 4.6ghz voltage" and just search around. You want to go into the bios and it will say like cpu frequency: 4000mhz
BCLK:auto and ratio most likely on auto.

You want to change the BCLK to manual and make sure it is set to 100. Then set the turbo ratio to manual and then set to say 46 to equal 4600mhz 100*46. Then set the cpu VCORE to manual and set it to a similar voltage to what you found what other people use. Restart and load into windows. If it crashes or blue screens go back onto bios and put another +0.05v on the vcore. repeat untill it runs fine, then run prime95 or intel burn and open core temp and cpu-z to verify it is set to correct frequency. Run prime 95 or intel burn and monitor temps to ensure they stay around 70c (will run lower on games for instance). If it crashes on prime95 put another 0.05v and repeat untill it runs. Then run it for a while to ensure it keeps a constant temperature and runs stable.

A guide here although it is z87 will be identicle procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI

Last edited:

ReMiXeDg

thanks.. im going to look more into over clocking after the holidays. I just ordered a nice desk for my room going upload some pictures later in the future.

Thanks everyone. Messing around with my pc i learn new things every day. Its amazing. Any recommendations as to how can i put some leds? id like to put a glow effect under the case what leds can I use and wehre do i wire them to the fan board on the h440?

C4C

There's USB and 4pin powered LED strips out there... They connect respectively.. + Not sure why you'd wire lights to the fan board..

ReMiXeDg

what could cause error to come up saying my computer is running low on memory and wont allow me to play a video i've downloaded it starts but when i go to skip it says low on memory to try again..

this is epic fail..

im only running one ssd and theres about 20gb free left. is this the issue? should i rerinstall windows i dont have anti-virus by the way. i got windows 7 64bit

i want to play gta iv is it worth going to 32 bit?

ninjabubbles3

what could cause error to come up saying my computer is running low on memory and wont allow me to play a video i've downloaded it starts but when i go to skip it says low on memory to try again..

this is epic fail..

im only running one ssd and theres about 20gb free left. is this the issue? should i rerinstall windows i dont have anti-virus by the way. i got windows 7 64bit

i want to play gta iv is it worth going to 32 bit?

Close other programs in the background. What it means, is that you are out of RAM.

tylerjrb

you ideally want the SSD for windows, programs and apps only if its around 120gb in size and a 1TB+ hard drive for games and other files.

seems odd with the low memory 20gb space is enough. I have just over 40gb left on my 120gb SSD. Its possibly refering to the RAM i take it 8gb is installed all functioning correctly? does it show up as 8gb in the bios, windows itself?

8gb shouldnt be a problem considering windows only takes up around 2.5 with apps running but it depends what you have open. Open task manager and look at the total RAM usage on the system and close anything with high RAM usage. It may be worth it if it IS running out of memory to increase to 12gb maybe more.

You want to keep 64bit windows, 32 bit is limited to something like 4gb usable RAM so it wouldnt work well for gaming.

Last edited: