|Official|Black Hole: Benchmark Ranking thread

StrangleHold

Staff member
What benchmark are we suppost to be running? Think this is kinda getting out of hand with different benchmarks and knowing which one to run. Needs to be (one) thread with (one) benchmark to keep everything straight. I would talk to a Mod and see about deleting this and the other threads and start a new one with one benchmark. Starting to give me a headache:p

Virssagòn

VIP Member
What benchmark are we suppost to be running? Think this is kinda getting out of hand with different benchmarks and knowing which one to run. Needs to be (one) thread with (one) benchmark to keep everything straight. I would talk to a Mod and see about deleting this and the other threads and start a new one with one benchmark. Starting to give me a headache:p

You are just supposed to run the current one, the one I make score tables from.
I just placed a download for a preview version. So you guys can test it and suggest me things before I release it. And no, I'll ask the mod when the next version is totally made to delete this. You don't need to ask that for me...

StrangleHold

Staff member
. And no, I'll ask the mod when the next version is totally made to delete this. You don't need to ask that for me...

No, I wasnt going to ask. Thats up to you. Its just kinda getting confusing. Not picking on you, just trying to figure it out.

Okedokey

No, I wasnt going to ask. Thats up to you. Its just kinda getting confusing. Not picking on you, just trying to figure it out.

100% agreed.

You boys are doing a great job, but by changing the scale you present the results on so often, we have no comparative data. That’s a critical thing for a benchmark. Data.

By changing the scale each time you are making all other data unusable.

Its not that hard, just compare the times for each task from the previous version, work out a coefficient and then apply it to only the presentation part of the score (e.g. calibration).

Or tell me to bugger off :)

You doing great, but just don't forget the data!!!! :)

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Code for the multithreaded benchmark is the same. But the code had a bug, when a too slow cpu did the benchmark you would get zero. So thats what I fixed, but now the code seems much more sensitive.

what I'm planning to do with the next version:

- starting with a fresh new name (you all must help me with the name...)
- starting with a fresh new design (like you saw already)
- adding singlethreaded benchmark
- adding stability test
- starting with a new metric for the scores (because there was a bug)

And that will not change for a long time.

I hope you have enough information now.

current running: black hole v1.1! (who gets the 9000?)

spirit

Staff member
You boys are doing a great job, but by changing the scale you present the results on so often, we have no comparative data. That’s a critical thing for a benchmark. Data.

By changing the scale each time you are making all other data unusable.

I agree. Btw I tend to work on the design of the app and SmileMan the coding, I did a small bit of the coding though.

I do agree the metric/scores need to be the same throughout and we need to keep everything in a single thread here.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I agree. Btw I tend to work on the design of the app and SmileMan the coding, I did a small bit of the coding though.

I do agree the metric/scores need to be the same throughout and we need to keep everything in a single thread here.

K, but you really don't know how difficult that is...

spirit

Staff member
But the problem is that if the scores are different the benchmark becomes a bit useless as it gets difficult to compare scores. :/

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Unless the scale is the same, i give up, makes everything else a waste of time.

But I can't make it the same because without the bug the score is much more sensitive. The new metric will stay for a very long time, years...
sorry, but I didn't solve how to. I think it's more important that the bug doesn't exist anymore then doing it with the bug and the same metric.
Thanks for your advice, but I gonna use that in next version. This version and the next has no link, I just delete this one in my mind.

AlienMenace

Okay I get it now Smileman, I ran this thing 4 times now and this is the best result yet for my AMD Phenom II x4 955.

benchmark4.gif

This is stock speed. With 6gb of Ram.
In a couple of Months I will be putting together a new computer. AMD FX-8120.

Alienmenace

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Okay I get it now Smileman, I ran this thing 4 times now and this is the best result yet for my AMD Phenom II x4 955.

benchmark4.gif

Alienmenace

This solves the problem of the phenom. This are very good scores! (for 4 threads). So there's no problem with phenoms!

Darren

Staff member

benchmark4.gif

Alienmenace

I wonder why it's working for you and not me. You seemed to have used the same version. (1.1) RAM issue?