Opinions Please

Kornowski

VIP Member
I would like to but it would take ages and my parents are really against me spending my money on my computer.

I can get this MOBO and still upgrade (in the future, mind) slowly.
My GPU is Ok at the moment, so I'll keep that, my RAM is Ok.

salman

Koronowski my parents are similar to yours and a now how you feel but i really think that you should wait a year until you have enough money to get somat decent. Hopefully after a year your parents may change their mind cos your comp will be older and also you'll be 18 and your parents will have to give you more freedom to do what you want with your money.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I can see where you are coming from.

I just really think an Core 2 would be great about now! Also, I can slowly upgrade with that board. :(

liquidshadow

Look at it this way.
If you "slowly upgrade" now, then later you're going to have to replace most of the parts anyway, perhaps you'll want a better motherboard too. Also, with the price cuts coming, the processors will be cheaper as well.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Grrr, this is really annoying, If I replaced my CPU, RAM, MOBO and GPU, I'd have to get a bigger PSU, right?

I don't really want to do that, I just bought this one.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
One supports a quad core C2d and the dual VSTA supports a dual core.. And i'm gonna be the voice of objectivity in this. Cause i say go for it. :) I was even thinking of getting that board after i noticed your first post on this a couple weeks back. Anandtech has a review of ddr2 vs ddr1 using this board.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810

I don't have alot of money to spend on my computer also.. So i consider this board great. :)

JlCollins005

personally id get a dif mobo then asrock, id get this mobo if ur just lookin to use most of ur old stuff, but u will have to upgrade to a pci e card, can get a cheap one from newegg or ebay but this way u know its a descent board brand wise, both ram support, but only 533 ddr2 better than ddr either way though, and it has pci so ud only need to upgrade ram down the road...

mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127017

Kornowski

VIP Member
personally id get a dif mobo then asrock, id get this mobo if ur just lookin to use most of ur old stuff, but u will have to upgrade to a pci e card, can get a cheap one from newegg or ebay but this way u know its a descent board brand wise, both ram support, but only 533 ddr2 better than ddr either way though, and it has pci so ud only need to upgrade ram down the road...

mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127017

Aren't ASRock a good company?
I don't really want to get a PCI-e card just yet though, anyway, it's a micro ATX case, I'm after an ATX one.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

One supports a quad core C2d and the dual VSTA supports a dual core.. And i'm gonna be the voice of objectivity in this. Cause i say go for it. :) I was even thinking of getting that board after i noticed your first post on this a couple weeks back. Anandtech has a review of ddr2 vs ddr1 using this board.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810

I don't have alot of money to spend on my computer also.. So i consider this board great. :)

Oh right, Thanks.

I'll check out that link now.
I think it'd be a good purchase but some people don't seem to think ASRock are any good, I don't know.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Right, I've done some researching!

Which of these would be better?

To get the ASRock 775DUAL-VISTA and an E6300 (DDR, DDR2 - up to 2GB, AGP x8, PCI-e x4?

Or

To get the ASRock 939DUAL and an Athlon x2 4200 (DDR, up to 4GB, AGP x8m PCI-e x 16?)

Which of those?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ben

VIP Member
Right, I've done some researching!

Which of these would be better?

To get the ASRock 775DUAL-VISTA and an E6300 (DDR, DDR2 - up to 2GB, AGP x8, PCI-e x4?

Or

To get the ASRock 939DUAL and an Athlon x2 4200 (DDR, up to 4GB, AGP x8m PCI-e x 16?)

Which of those?

Thanks.

Hmm...that's a hard choice, they both have their ups and downs. I really don't know if I could decide on that. Any other choices?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I think the socket 939 would be the well better option!

Don't you think, up to 4GB of RAM, PCI-e x16 or AGP and an AMD dual Core? :)

Ben

VIP Member
I think the socket 939 would be the well better option!

Don't you think, up to 4GB of RAM, PCI-e x16 or AGP and an AMD dual Core? :)

Sounds like a good choice, but the reason I said I couldn't decide, was because I thought you already had a Core 2 duo, But now looking at your sig, I realize you do not. So might as well go for AMD for right now. Though I don't support them that much(Even though I have the 3200+ in my PC). It would be a good choice in your situation.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I did read up about the board and people have said they've had problems with it and that it is now discontinued... so I don't really know what to do, I don't want to buy a whole new board and COU to have the board not work and try and send the CPU back.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Nope, I hearb bad reviews on the 939 board and didn't want to try and send it back and be stuck with a 939 CPU to send back.

I think the ASRock 775DUAL-VISTA is looking like a good option at the moment, with an E6300.

Ben

VIP Member
Nope, I hearb bad reviews on the 939 board and didn't want to try and send it back and be stuck with a 939 CPU to send back.

I think the ASRock 775DUAL-VISTA is looking like a good option at the moment, with an E6300.

I looked at the site you were ordering from, doesn't seem like it gives a lot of choices. I'm not totally sure if you'll find what you're looking for, but just trying to help.

Amazon.co.uk

Kornowski

VIP Member
I think it would be better to build a whole new computer...
I don't want to spend LOADS though, an E6300, 1GB of RAM (for now), decent GPU (as good as / better than the one I have now) for an Ok price and a decent MOBO.

Can you suggest anything please?
Thanks for all the help :)

Schonza

How much you going to spend on your build? A budget will help us advise you. Remember, most of your budget will be split between your CPU, mobo and GPU.