Please help, Got my motherboard replacement, but Im having different problems now,

wolfeking

banned
It just depends on teh motherboard. Some will not beep, some will. YOu can never assume just because one computer part does something that they all do. No 2 boards are the same, even with the same model number.

wbt50

So what is there left for me to do ? Expect smashing it too bits with a hammer :D

I can't test the PSU today by the way.

wolfeking

banned
Until you can test the PSU with a watt/amp meter, then you are stuck testing each other component to make sure it is not something else.

At this point it would be cheaper and easier for you to just take it to a shop nd have them figure out what is wrong with it.

wolfeking

banned
The whole thing. Tell them you have done some testing, and tell them exactly what you have done so far. The shop diagnoses computers all day long, so they will be able to find it a lot easier than you could.

wbt50

That seems to be my only option. I just hope they won't charge me £70 to just say I need a new motherboard though.

spirit

Staff member
I'd be tempted to send it all back and explain that it didn't work. I don't know if they'd let you return everything, but you could try.

wbt50

I don't see them allowing me to be honest. I purchased all the items at the end of November and used all of it. I think it would cause more trouble to be honest.

I might aswell just drop it in a PC repair shop and let them deal with it. I just hope they won't just say that the motherboard is knackered without proper testing it and charging me a load for something I sort of knew already.

wolfeking

banned
I don't think it is your motherboard to be honest.

It is likely your PSU. It could be the board, but having 2 bad ones in a row is a statistical improbability.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I agree the issue is likely the PSU. It would be odd if you got two bad boards in a row.

wbt50

Could the RAM have destroyed the board ?

I find it hard being the PSU since it powered up the previous motherboard fine for 2 weeks and this system booted up a couple of times.

I also don't understand how the RAM has suddenly gone bad. It was fine in the last system. Could the motherboard have take the RAM when it died ?

spirit

Staff member
Both RAM and PSUs can suddenly go bad. It happens. RAM has suddenly gone wrong on me loads of times.

wbt50

I guess I'll just ask a PC store to test my PSU and RAM. Although it seems to me that the RAM is guaranteed dead. Could the RAM have destroyed the board ?

wolfeking

banned
not likely. BUt your PSU could have destroyed both. Actually, when it goes, your PSU can take out anything plugged into it.

wbt50

Yeah, but I heard that Antec PSU's are made to stop other components dying. It was probably bollocks though haha

spirit

Staff member
Must be the board or PSU then. It could be the CPU... maybe, but I doubt it. Is your heatsink installed correctly?