Post your smartphone homescreen

PCunicorn

How so?

I have the clock, battery, signal strength, and wifi on the right, same as yours. On the left is my signal strength in dBm.

You had the bar status plus 4G LTE and the battery plus percentage. But much better now, looks great ;)

I love the transparency of iOS 7, so I made some similar tweaks to my G3 :)

Man that looks awesome. What are you using to do that?

Geoff

VIP Member
You had the bar status plus 4G LTE and the battery plus percentage. But much better now, looks great ;)

Man that looks awesome. What are you using to do that?
Battery percentage gives you a much better idea as to the time left than just a battery icon, and the LTE still shows but now only if I'm not on wifi.

I'm using an Xposed module, but you need to be rooted.

spirit

Staff member
Fresh install of Android 4.1.2. :)

15126971049_74a19a4c55_o.png

spirit

Staff member
Wait what happened to Windows Phone??

I still use (and love) Windows Phone 8.1 on my Nokia 625 (and that phone has my SIM in it) and yes I'd still like to buy an 830 when it finally gets released. I just have this Samsung S3 Mini to play around with. It's my brother's old phone - he upgraded to a Note 3 lately.

First thoughts on this phone as a whole? It looks and feels OK (hardware and software). I'm not mad keen on it to be honest but maybe as I use it more I'll start to get used to Android. I think this phone was £180 when it was new - it doesn't really feel like a £180 product to me. It feels a bit 'plasticy', just like my brother's £470 Note 3 does. :rolleyes:

I haven't even installed Samsung Kies because I know it sucks so much.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
You don't typically buy a Samsung phone to get a high quality feel to it. My GS3 felt pretty plasticy and my LG Optimus G Pro doesn't feel a whole lot better. My friend's GS4 feels better and I've heard the GS5 feels fairly nice too.

I honestly don't care though because I immediately bury the plastic in a cheap case off Amazon so it doesn't really make a difference to me how it feels. They've got great hardware and Android is a great OS. Upgrading from the GS3 to the LG made me realize how smooth Android can be. It feels so much snappier and quick now. I've noticed with iOS you can open and close apps and do stuff pretty quick, probably a little quicker than Android, but you sacrifice a lot of features for that extra bit of quickness. Windows phone looks decent but overall app support just isn't there for me and I like the way Android looks better.

spirit

Staff member
You don't typically buy a Samsung phone to get a high quality feel to it. My GS3 felt pretty plasticy and my LG Optimus G Pro doesn't feel a whole lot better. My friend's GS4 feels better and I've heard the GS5 feels fairly nice too.
That's all well and good but if I'm forking out £200+ for a phone I want it to feel robust. I wouldn't mind if they were a bit cheaper, but I'm sorry £470 for a plastic phone is a bit ridiculous. Yes, the spec of the Note 3 is great and the 1080p screen is gorgeous, but I just wish it felt a bit sturdier. You're right the S4 does feel better than the S3 (I have friends who have them) but I've been more impressed by HTC's build quality, certainly.

I honestly don't care though because I immediately bury the plastic in a cheap case off Amazon so it doesn't really make a difference to me how it feels.
True I guess. Usually I also buy (rubber) phone cases but I haven't bothered this time round for my 625. Whether I'll get one or not for my next phone, I don't know.

Windows phone looks decent but overall app support just isn't there for me and I like the way Android looks better.
Not a huge fan of the general Android layout/'explosion of colours' on this Samsung device but I guess Android is so customisable I could change that if I want. And other manufacturers have other UIs, I know. I prefer the look of HTC's TouchFlo (?) interface to Samsung's TouchWiz (?) interface for Android and even the stock look is nicer than this Samsung UI. HTC used to do a similar thing with Windows Mobile that made it look really cool.

Last edited:

G25r8cer

The problem with android ... The phone carriers must rebuild and push the updates out. Which usually happens way after the official release. The straight google phones are the only ones to receive updates right away. Not to mention anyone can post an
App on play store. Not the case with apple. Not even mentioning the fragmentation and gradual slow down of android. For these reasons I have switched to and will likely stick to ios ... Phone wise. I only miss android for the ability to use torque pro app. Which I already purchased on the gf's tab 3 for when I need it.

G25r8cer

Well that didn't take long

As of a week or so ago a stable iOS 8 jailbreak was released.

Just now upgrading