PS4 or Xbox One?

• PS4

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters

spirit

Staff member
Does anybody here own an Xbox One? I've just been onto Amazon and seen that some unlucky and disappointed people have ended up with defective consoles.

They're complaining about 'not getting past the green screen' and having problems with getting games to read from the optical drive properly.

As you can probably imagine, since they pre-ordered their consoles in May and have waited 6 months to get them, they're not too pleased that they're defective.

Seems like on the other end of the spectrum some people are really enjoying their new consoles.

Just interested to see if anybody on here who owns an Xbox One and has experienced any of this, or if anybody here knows anybody who has experienced it.

I don't think any of my friends have ordered the Xbox One. I think most of them are going for the PS4, or have/are thinking of switching to PC gaming.

Punk

Staff member
SfuHFFx.jpg

Here is one I took off a YouTube video. 1080p, mind you.

Dude Youtube kills quality, even at 1080p.

G80FTW

image_303307_620.jpg

Random screenshot. Most of the Google Images for "the last of us screenshots" turned up art or something else, not honest to God in game screenshots.

2861ACBCF967D00A380E90B679CD3E3245949C1E

A screen shot I took in C2. Textures may not look the best, but they look way better then The Last of Us.

I dont know about anyone else. But I see clearly how more detailed the last of us looks compared to Crysis 2. And yea, your not going to find alot of actual screenshots from the last of us for the simple fact that its a console only game, PS3 game at that meaning capturing a true resolution screenshot of the game will require an expensive capture card capable of capturing full resolution HDCP video.

I was actually searching for my old capture cards, couldnt find them. But like I said, they wouldnt have done loads of good considering they only capture at 480p via S-Video cable.

And no, that screen you posted that was off youtube is not remotely how it looks in person. The first screenshot is a better representation of how it really looks its too bad you cant find a screenshot like that at 1920x1080.

PCunicorn

Dude Youtube kills quality, even at 1080p.

It does. But Crysis 3 still looks way better then TLoU on YouTube. But G80 has a point, it still only captures in 480. G80FTW, I don't think ou understand. I have played the game, and The Last of Us has a better story, has more deatil, and is a pretty damn good game. But comparing it to Crysis 3 on a PC is pretty ridiculous.

G80FTW

It does. But Crysis 3 still looks way better then TLoU on YouTube. But G80 has a point, it still only captures in 480. G80FTW, I don't think ou understand. I have played the game, and The Last of Us has a better story, has more deatil, and is a pretty damn good game. But comparing it to Crysis 3 on a PC is pretty ridiculous.

Crysis 3 does look better. But I would still say there are a few areas where the last of us looks just as good. The main one being the poly count and detail on the main characters. . And then there are the textures, yes the last of us does have plenty of low resolution textures it is a console game after all but pretty much all the buildings and roads have pretty amazing textures that look just as good as the ones in Crysis 3.

I mean, you cant really tell me this isnt a fair comparison:

Screenshot I took myself from Crysis 3.

Probably the best "in game" screenshot you will see of the last of us.

I mean, clearly Crysis 3 does look better. However, for a 7 series core GPU to be putting out graphics that come that close to Crysis 3 is a feat in and of itself. Naughty Dog is probably the best developer out there for being able to do so.

I havent actually seen very many PC games that look better than the last of us.... aside from Crysis 3 and tomb raider, thats about it. I have not yet played BF4 so I dont know about that one.

PCunicorn

That's what I was getting at. It's good for a PS3 game and on 8 year old hardware, but still doesn't even really come close to Crysis 3 except on a few things.

Punk

Staff member
It does. But Crysis 3 still looks way better then TLoU on YouTube.

That comparison is meaningless taken from Youtube. Like I said it kills quality and some games will look better for some reason (hardware used, software used etc).

Aastii

VIP Member
We still doing this PC vs Console graphics comparison thing?

I don't see how you can have a thread about the current gen gaming platforms and miss out one of the current gen gaming platforms. Why should they not be compared to a PC? The previous gen were, all gens before that were, so why should this be different?

Punk

Staff member
I don't see how you can have a thread about the current gen gaming platforms and miss out one of the current gen gaming platforms. Why should they not be compared to a PC? The previous gen were, all gens before that were, so why should this be different?

Because of the price range.

Aastii

VIP Member
Because of the price range.

Because I can't be arsed with currency conversions to USD and EUR, right now you can get a One + 4 games £665.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-w...t-267291/?cm_sp=XboxOne-_-chart-_-consolePos1

For £500 you can get a gaming PC high-maxing all games + 4 brand new games then for £140. Total - £650. £25 quid less is near enough the same price when we are talking £650+ so we won't fret over that.

Then factor in that PC games are cheaper than the consoles, that evens out any necessary upgrades over the life of the console, and if you get a lot of games, can actually pull the price in favour of PC gaming. They fit in the same price range as each other

Next...

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member

I'm all about battling about which one is best until the break of dawn. I'm all about comparing what type of material is used to build a PS4 casing to a third party PC case.

My point is, this is a PS4 or XBox One thread. And it's very hard to talk about the PS4 vs the XBox when everyone is bringing PC's into the equation. Basically, as much as consoles and PC's are related these days, you can't deny that this thread has gone off topic, which is generally something we handle pretty well on these forums.

Justin

VIP Member
My point is, this is a PS4 or XBox One thread. And it's very hard to talk about the PS4 vs the XBox when everyone is bringing PC's into the equation. Basically, as much as consoles and PC's are related these days, you can't deny that this thread has gone off topic, which is generally something we handle pretty well on these forums.

This.
And to think Aastii is a global mod too.

PunterCam

Because I can't be arsed with currency conversions to USD and EUR, right now you can get a One + 4 games £665.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-w...t-267291/?cm_sp=XboxOne-_-chart-_-consolePos1

For £500 you can get a gaming PC high-maxing all games + 4 brand new games then for £140. Total - £650. £25 quid less is near enough the same price when we are talking £650+ so we won't fret over that.

Then factor in that PC games are cheaper than the consoles, that evens out any necessary upgrades over the life of the console, and if you get a lot of games, can actually pull the price in favour of PC gaming. They fit in the same price range as each other

Next...

I hate to wade in here with a "that's nonsense" comment, but I just can't resist. I also don't really hate doing it.

I put my last computer together 3 or so years ago - it was average at the time, and I spent somewhere in the region of £450 on it. My xbox dances rings around it graphically, and it's twice its age now.

These consoles have just been released - only an idiot/extremely keen gamer buys them at this price. They'll be 2/3rds the price in 18 months and they'll slowly drop over their lifespan, which will probably be somewhere in the region of 8 years. Just like the last generation, the programmers will have time to really learn the consoles, and find ways to draw every last bit of power from them. I thought GTA5 looked beautiful. Try getting something that looks that good to run on a 2006 PC. On a 2006 PC that cost sub £300 to build at the time.

Of course - spend your money on a top PC and it will look fantastic, but realistically you're talking an expensive initial build and (at the very least) a substantial upgrade half way through that life-cycle.

It's a completely different price range, completely different.

Darren

Staff member
PC > Consoles for pure graphical quality, not involving price in the equation.
Console are cheaper hardware for the performance and graphics they'll give out, especially as time progresses (this may not be the case at launch). If you argue that point you're simply dense.

Both have their pros and cons, quit bitching about it and play what you want.

G80FTW

I hate to wade in here with a "that's nonsense" comment, but I just can't resist. I also don't really hate doing it.

I put my last computer together 3 or so years ago - it was average at the time, and I spent somewhere in the region of £450 on it. My xbox dances rings around it graphically, and it's twice its age now.

These consoles have just been released - only an idiot/extremely keen gamer buys them at this price. They'll be 2/3rds the price in 18 months and they'll slowly drop over their lifespan, which will probably be somewhere in the region of 8 years. Just like the last generation, the programmers will have time to really learn the consoles, and find ways to draw every last bit of power from them. I thought GTA5 looked beautiful. Try getting something that looks that good to run on a 2006 PC. On a 2006 PC that cost sub £300 to build at the time.

Of course - spend your money on a top PC and it will look fantastic, but realistically you're talking an expensive initial build and (at the very least) a substantial upgrade half way through that life-cycle.

It's a completely different price range, completely different.

+1 for this.

I have no idea where you guys are getting this idea that PC gaming is cheaper. No matter what way you look at it, its not.

Example. I have spent over $5,000 in the last 11 years on PCs. Guess how much I spent on consoles in 11 years? Less than $1,000. To say PC gaming is even near the same price range is ridiculous. And that $5,000 I spent, this is the only build I ever had that was pretty close to top end when I built it. Most of my builds were just under the $1,000 range having mid level hardware in them. So its not like every computer I built was top end.

PC gaming appeals to a whole different group of gamers. PC gamers are mainly people into MMOs (which have now been making their way to consoles) and people obsessed with good graphics.

There is no "they are in the same price range now". They are nowhere near the same price range. Never were.

If anyone here can build a PC, including a monitor and operating system, for $400 that can put out PS4 graphics with all new hardware then please post it. Because you cant.

And dont go saying "oh you have to buy a console AND a PC anyway". Since when? If your a console gamer and all you use your PC for is web browsing a computer from 10 years ago will be perfectly fine and last another 10 years.