Radeon 5970 HD

joh06937

just making sure. those are about the right numbers (for both cpu and gpu). i personally have mixed feelings about physx cards, dedicated ones i mean. for the games that use it, it is nice to have. mafia ii and batman arkham asylum are excellent examples. great visuals that are possible for an ati card owner basically only because of the physx card. but for other games, ones that don't utilize the card, it is 100% useless. the fact is that not very many games use physx. if you can get an excellent deal on a card and have some money laying around, i'd say "why not?". but if it something you'd have to save up for at all, i wouldn't.

Leopold Butters

Well, this was from June, and as it turns out Nvidia accidentally enabled phys X while and ATI card is present, you need the 257.15 Beta drivers for it to work, so if you can find those drivers it would work. Here is the article. http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3344/ati_radeon_hd_5870_5970_with_nvidia_physx/index.html

I had thought they added it for good, my mistake.

Also eyefinity is when you use more than on monitor using the 58xxx series. It's just what ATI called it.

joh06937

Well, this was from June, and as it turns out Nvidia accidentally enabled phys X while and ATI card is present, you need the 257.15 Beta drivers for it to work, so if you can find those drivers it would work. Here is the article. http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3344/ati_radeon_hd_5870_5970_with_nvidia_physx/index.html

I had thought they added it for good, my mistake.

Also eyefinity is when you use more than on monitor using the 58xxx series. It's just what ATI called it.

figured that was what you were talking about. that is the one "loop hole" here on computerforum because we can talk about ati+nvidia "legally" since we don't have to do anything to those drivers :p

you can do eyefinity on the 57xx series as well (and of course the 59xx "series"). not sure about the 56xx series and lower though.

Joshua1187

nothing i play is on the list, thanks for saving me the money...

what if I just rolled with a 5870 as my main GPU for windowed mode CFd with the 5970 for Full Mode, would this make a huge difference in high performance?

Leopold Butters

nothing i play is on the list, thanks for saving me the money...

what if I just rolled with a 5870 as my main GPU for windowed mode CFd with the 5970 for Full Mode, would this make a huge difference in high performance?

You would not need it' just overclock your card. use this program to do it.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

If you need help overclocking just let me know.

The 5970 can overclock a lot because at stock the clocks speeds are set to that of a 5850, even though the chips on a 5970 are 5870 chips. So you can hit 850 core with no trouble at all. Make sure you increase your voltages though make it 1.162 and set your core clock to 850 and your Memory clock to 1200 then just play some games to try it out, if your computer crashes it wasnt' stable, it shoudl work though since those clocks and voltages i said are stock 5870s

Also, to unlock voltage control, just press on settings, and make sure you click "apply overclock at system setup" it's in the bottom left corner of the program

Last edited:

Joshua1187

Well I,ve atempted that with the last 5970 with Joh,s help but I was thinking would CF help me hit FFXIVs graphic potential much easier or do you think OCing to 5870 clock will be enough?

Leopold Butters

Well I,ve atempted that with the last 5970 with Joh,s help but I was thinking would CF help me hit FFXIVs graphic potential much easier or do you think OCing to 5870 clock will be enough?

From what I understand you wanted to Tri-Fire your set up correct? Using a 5870 for windowed mode and 5970 for full screen (since crossfire does not work in windowed) you can save 400 dollars just by overclocking the 5970 to 5870 clocks and you will recieve the same results.

The only other thing I can think of keeping you back is your CPU. I had the 1090T at 4.2 GHz and it was more of a bottle neck than my Core i7 at 4.4GHz with HT off. My FPS were quite a bit lower with my 1090T compared to my i7 930.

Joshua1187

so you think OCing my 5970 will be the same as trifiring a 5970 and a 5870? My response to the i7 is, instead of paying 2k or whatever, ill stick with the performance i have XD. Not tonight, but I think somtime this week i will attempt once more to OC my card, it just makes me nervous messing with a $600 anything, ha. I'll let you know how it works out :D

BTW, does overclocking the 5970 OC both cards? im assuming it does.

Leopold Butters

so you think OCing my 5970 will be the same as trifiring a 5970 and a 5870? My response to the i7 is, instead of paying 2k or whatever, ill stick with the performance i have XD. Not tonight, but I think somtime this week i will attempt once more to OC my card, it just makes me nervous messing with a $600 anything, ha. I'll let you know how it works out :D

BTW, does overclocking the 5970 OC both cards? im assuming it does.

Overclocking won't be as good as tri-fire, but it will save you a lot of money. The FPS increase you get from your overclock compared to the FPS increase you get from spending 400 dollars on another card, the 400 probably is not worth it. If you really want to know, just search for benchmarks of cross fire and tri-fire setups of games you play. Make sure that the becnhmark is also using a 1090T CPU. If you google it you should find some benchmarks

I didn't mean to imply that you should change your CPU, I was just saying that may be a cause of why your perfromance does not seem as good as others (if you have been looking at benchmarks for the games you play)

Joshua1187

ALRIGHT alright, if you insist, ill buy a new Bataleon TBT snowboard instead! Thanks guys for the help, im sure ill be posting for help on OCing my card soon!

Ha

Joshua1187

Furmark%2B-%2BOCd%2Bat%2B5870%2Bspeeds.JPG

Ok so maxing out settings on FFXIV (all except Ambient Occ and Depth of field because thes are FPS killers) my computer mad lags.... So I decided to try to OC again on the new carD! Heres my furmark (actually at 12 minutes now same heat about 66) does this look good? Should I try going to 900 Mhz? I dont want to get into the unsafe zone, ive got like 9 fans in this thing! haha.

THx

Okedokey

Don't have time to re-read 14 pages, but what resolution you playing at Joshua? The snowboard sounds like a good plan ;)

Joshua1187

Don't have time to re-read 14 pages, but what resolution you playing at Joshua? The snowboard sounds like a good plan ;)

I got the snowboard, that post is super old, haha. Im playing at 1900/1080. In town around people im runnin about 30 FPS, outside 45-60 FPS, when i OC to 5870 speeds i get no FPS increase (FYI I redownloaded the drivers and having better results but still seems like it should be better).

EDIT: I think its 1920/1080

Aastii

VIP Member
If you aren't seeing an fps increase at all from OCing, it is something else holding you back. What is CPU load when in crowded areas?

Okedokey

That HD is getting a smashing. I would recommend a HD as this is almost always the biggest bottleneck, but seems unlikely to cause FPS performance issue.

I would also check it in a more demanding game, the one on the screenshot looked like 2006 Halo. Get crysis running or 3DMark11 and then check CPU, i agree, its the next most likely thing.

Either way, new SSD or defrag regularly.

Also, (again because the thread is so deep), you have a 64bit OS right?

Joshua1187

I'm on 64 bit. I'm not really trying to run this computer harder then it needs to be ran, I'm just trying to find the bottle neck to max the performance of this game. What HD would you suggest? What could the current HD I have be slowing down?

EDIT:

I dont have the graphics maxed because it starts too lag however they are pretty high.