Radeon 5970 HD

SeN

can you give me the exact length of the 5970? i was planning on getting one but i was afraid it wouldn't fit in my case (antec 902)

joh06937

can you give me the exact length of the 5970? i was planning on getting one but i was afraid it wouldn't fit in my case (antec 902)

fits in mine. but check your sata ports: it will cover some of them. i can take a pic a little later and post it if you want...

SeN

yes please. i'm planning on selling my twin 4870x2's for a single 5970. the 4870x2's been guzzling down energy like water for too long.

joh06937

img00062201010041835.jpg

img00063201010041835.jpg

SeN

ah, i see you had to remove the middle fan cage box thing to fit it..

but cool, thx for the upload

and wow, i had no idea u could mix a 8800gt into that build just for the physx

joh06937

i actually didn't have to remove it for the 5970, i just redid my hard drives so the cables didn't stick out and look like crap. i think (if i remember correctly) you can still have the cages in.

and you can, we just aren't allowed to talk about it here (8800gt and 5970).

Joshua1187

Good to hear dude. Are you going to attempt an OC again?

Hey Joh,

I think I may try overclocking again somtime however there is an existing potential problem I would like to enquire about. When watching the opening vid for ffxiv for the most part it looks great however, it fest lines through the screen and one second white/blackout flashes and weired stuff like that.... on any settings, any ideas?

joh06937

Hey Joh,

I think I may try overclocking again somtime however there is an existing potential problem I would like to enquire about. When watching the opening vid for ffxiv for the most part it looks great however, it fest lines through the screen and one second white/blackout flashes and weired stuff like that.... on any settings, any ideas?

just the video or gameplay as well? videos tear sometimes :shrug: just happens in some games, even with v-sync on.

dtiao7eb

hey joshua,

would u mind posting a 3dmark of ur 5970 (which one do you have btw?) so i can see if my card is running correctly... i dunno why but i just don't feel like my card is running properly

thanks!

Joshua1187

At one point I moved my card from the first slot to the second slot, think this has somthing to do with it?

I,ll post a 3dmark when I get a chance.

Thx!

kyleswitch

ah, i see you had to remove the middle fan cage box thing to fit it..

but cool, thx for the upload

and wow, i had no idea u could mix a 8800gt into that build just for the physx

You can, but it's not legal. you need custom software. Its cool if you like to us ATI cards and want that extra frame rates and better looking graphics with a cheaper nvidia card.

Joshua1187

I was thinking about getting a 9600GT for about 70 bucks for the PhysX but.... how is that illegal? is the extra performance boost worth the 70 bucks? I read Nvidia has developed most recent drivers to stop working if your using an ATI card as well.

on another note, i just ran the game in full mode and it worked but i kicked up the graphics to:

Multisampling 2xMSAA (goes to 4x and 8xq)
ambient Occlusion ON
Depth of Field ON

This has caused the game even on full mode to lagg.. should this be expected with the 5970??? would a 9600GT help with the lag?

Im downloading 3dMark now to see my score.

Leopold Butters

I was thinking about getting a 9600GT for about 70 bucks for the PhysX but.... how is that illegal? is the extra performance boost worth the 70 bucks? I read Nvidia has developed most recent drivers to stop working if your using an ATI card as well.

on another note, i just ran the game in full mode and it worked but i kicked up the graphics to:

Multisampling 2xMSAA (goes to 4x and 8xq)
ambient Occlusion ON
Depth of Field ON

This has caused the game even on full mode to lagg.. should this be expected with the 5970??? would a 9600GT help with the lag?

Im downloading 3dMark now to see my score.

Actually, Nvidia just added support for ATI cards. So now you can use any brand for your main and a physx card will still work. In my opinion, it's not worth it, you should look up the list of games it supports first because it only does certain things in certain games.

Are you using eyefinity? Because if you use AA at all it really hurts your perfromance. I play with it off always. or else my FPS drops a ton.

joh06937

Actually, Nvidia just added support for ATI cards. So now you can use any brand for your main and a physx card will still work. In my opinion, it's not worth it, you should look up the list of games it supports first because it only does certain things in certain games.

Are you using eyefinity? Because if you use AA at all it really hurts your perfromance. I play with it off always. or else my FPS drops a ton.

hey, another eyefinity user :eek: we should start a club :p

do you have any links supporting that claim though?

Joshua1187

Im going to have to say Sir that im likely not using eyefinity because i dont know WTF it is XD.