remote ftp server

Jabes

banned
I'm trying to setup a remote ftp server with ubuntu and gproftpd and I have it all setup, I have the ports forwarded a dyndns account and everything but I can't get into it remotely :confused:
the website is jabes-server.kicks-ass.net

and here is the configuration on my network

Network.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
You can't get to it remotely because you don't have that domain registered, it can only be accessed via that site locally. In order to access it remotely you need to use it via your external IP.

Trizoy

VIP Member
If you want to login from outside the network you need to use a forwarded DNS, or use the IP. If you want to connect from inside the network you need to use the local IP.. for example ftp://192.168.2.1

Jabes

banned
[-0MEGA-];831481 said:
You can't get to it remotely because you don't have that domain registered, it can only be accessed via that site locally. In order to access it remotely you need to use it via your external IP.
I have a dyndns account setup for that reason and I have the dyndns setup on the actiontec should I keep it on there or put it on the linksys

If you want to login from outside the network you need to use a forwarded DNS, or use the IP. If you want to connect from inside the network you need to use the local IP.. for example ftp://192.168.2.1

I can get into it the localy just not thru another computer
jabes said:
I have the ports forwarded a dyndns account and everything but I can't get into it remotely
did u miss that?

tlarkin

VIP Member
First off you have to forward standard FTP ports from your router to the ip of your FTP server behind your router. 20 or 21 are typically the standard ports, I would also recommend forwarding port 22 for ssh connections. Then you could FTP over ssh, which would make it secure and ssh will allow you to remotely administer the server.

DynDNS can be tricky, and you have to have the software client on your machine running. I wouldn't bother messing with domain names at all until you can actually get it working by IP. Especially if you are going to a non registered domain over the internet.

So, use DynDNS to track your external IP from your ISP. Then in your router forward ports 20 and 22 to the linux box by MAC address. Now, once out on the internet in an explorer menu just type //10.10.10.10 (whatever your IP address is) and it should work. I think that explorer has native FTP support.

From a Linux box (or windows if you download putty.exe) you can do ssh sessions with your Linux box and mount the share that way.

Jabes

banned
First off you have to forward standard FTP ports from your router to the ip of your FTP server behind your router. 20 or 21 are typically the standard ports, I would also recommend forwarding port 22 for ssh connections. Then you could FTP over ssh, which would make it secure and ssh will allow you to remotely administer the server.

DynDNS can be tricky, and you have to have the software client on your machine running. I wouldn't bother messing with domain names at all until you can actually get it working by IP. Especially if you are going to a non registered domain over the internet.

So, use DynDNS to track your external IP from your ISP. Then in your router forward ports 20 and 22 to the linux box by MAC address. Now, once out on the internet in an explorer menu just type //10.10.10.10 (whatever your IP address is) and it should work. I think that explorer has native FTP support.

From a Linux box (or windows if you download putty.exe) you can do ssh sessions with your Linux box and mount the share that way.
ok I had ports 21 forwarded and it wasn't workin so I thought that maybe my isp blocked port 21 so I tried forwarding port 40 (random port) and changed it to 40 in the router and gproftpd (built in to ubuntu ftp program) but its still not working and why I have dyndns is for getting into my ftp server remotely

tlarkin

VIP Member
open up port 22 on the router and see if you can even ssh into it.

on the remote machine (the machine that is over the internet) open up terminal and type:

ssh [email protected]er

It will prompt for authentication. This will see if you can even connect to your machine over the internet. Your ISP could be blocking all kinds of stuff. However, if you are port forwarding you can do most things over port 80. Even then I guess they can block incoming requests via port 80. Comcast is notorious for this.

Jabes

banned
should I put my ip up on here cuz I don't have another linux machine (I need linux right?) to do that on or should I just pm u with it?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Keep it on the forums, you start consulting with me on a one by one basis i would have to bill you for my time:)

You can download a ssh client for windows called putty.exe google search it. In the program you will enter all your information, like user name, password (to the Linux box that has FTP) and the IP address, etc.

Make sure ssh is enabled on the Linux box. Some distros by default it is, and in others by default it is disabled.

Jabes

banned
Keep it on the forums, you start consulting with me on a one by one basis i would have to bill you for my time:)

You can download a ssh client for windows called putty.exe google search it. In the program you will enter all your information, like user name, password (to the Linux box that has FTP) and the IP address, etc.

Make sure ssh is enabled on the Linux box. Some distros by default it is, and in others by default it is disabled.

why do I need ssh? I just want my ftp server to work

tlarkin

VIP Member
why do I need ssh? I just want my ftp server to work

Listen to what I am saying, if you can ssh into it then you know your router settings are correct, it is a way of testing your connection. Then by using deductive logic, if ssh works but FTP doesn't and we know it is configured properly, they are probably blocking it on the ISP level.

Jabes

banned
Listen to what I am saying, if you can ssh into it then you know your router settings are correct, it is a way of testing your connection. Then by using deductive logic, if ssh works but FTP doesn't and we know it is configured properly, they are probably blocking it on the ISP level.

ok I didn't understand that srry lol

tlarkin

VIP Member
thats OK, just try to see if you can ssh, because ssh is typically never blocked and it will tell us if everything is set up right network wise.

Jabes

banned
I think I did it right i typed in my ip address in and ssh was selected and it didn't do anything I have port 22 forwarded :confused:

tlarkin

VIP Member
you do it like this from the terminal

ssh [email protected]

It then prompts you for a password. If you are doing it form putty you simply plug the settings in and hit connect. You may have to add the port in the IP address if there is not box for it.

If its not working then I suspect something wrong with in your network.