remote ftp server

tlarkin

VIP Member
No, you setup static ip on the server, and it uses that ip everytime, along with gateway, dns, etc. You can use "static dhcp" on router #1 so that way router #2 gets the same ip address everytime, or you can do it from router #2 and use static ip so it uses the same ip everytime.

actually, this is how you set it up, I have done it before many times for clients in small offices with multiple routers

(examples)

Primary router:
IP - 192.168.1.1
DNS - resolved by DHCP from ISP
DHCP server - enabled, IP range 192.168.1.10 ~ 254
Gateway - resolved by DHCP from ISP
mode - ospf
SSID - your network name
Encryption - WPA
Channel - 7
NAT - enabled
SPI firewall - enabled

Secondary Router:
IP - 192.168.1.2
DNS - 192.168.1.1
Gateway - 192.168.1.1
DHCP service = off
mode = gateway
SSID - your network name
Channel = 9
NAT - disabled
SPI Fierwall - disabled

teritory Router:
IP - 192.168.1.3
DNS - 192.168.1.1
DHCP service = off
Gateway - 192.168.1.1
mode = gateway
SSID - your network name
Channel = 11
NAT - disabled
SPI Fierwall - disabled

Your server, set to static DHCP in the main router to an IP address you want, so 192.168.1.100. Then, to that IP/Mac address you set up all your port forwarding from the primary router's control panel. I can ssh tunnel into my router and then run a vnc client through it remotely. I won't bother setting up any kind of SFTP because of the limited upload speeds of cable broadband, which mine cap at about 40k/s where my download is over 1MB/s. If I need to take anything with me it goes an external HD.

Now when anyone comes over to use wifi they will be assigned an IP via DHCP, every time you add a computer (or network device) to your network they will resolve everything via DHCP. Each router has to be wired together and it repeats the wifi signal on different channels through out the site to reduce interference. I set this up for many larger warehouse type offices that required a cheap and secure solution for their small network.

Jabes

banned
I have them connected from the outgoing internet port on the first to the internet port on the second and if your wondering the internet is working on the server

Geoff

VIP Member
Jabes, I know you want to get this to work with Ubuntu and the FTP application, but you're really making this more complicated then it needs to be for a simple FTP server. If you don't mind using Windows, simply setup IIS or use a third party program.

Jabes

banned
[-0MEGA-];833062 said:
Jabes, I know you want to get this to work with Ubuntu and the FTP application, but you're really making this more complicated then it needs to be for a simple FTP server. If you don't mind using Windows, simply setup IIS or use a third party program.

I don't really care about Ubuntu really I was just using Ubuntu because its harder to get hacked and if I setup IIS or another thing would I have to go thru all this port forwarding stuff? and wat would you recommend?

tlarkin

VIP Member
I don't really care about Ubuntu really I was just using Ubuntu because its harder to get hacked and if I setup IIS or another thing would I have to go thru all this port forwarding stuff? and wat would you recommend?

regardless of platform you use, FTP is not secure. It sends passwords in plain text. You need to set up SFTP which is what I stated many many posts ago. You can set that up for any OS you want.

Motoxrdude

[-0MEGA-];833062 said:

You dont have to forward ports for a windows ftp server?

axgrinder73

I have them connected from the outgoing internet port on the first to the internet port on the second and if your wondering the internet is working on the server

I don't think that the problem is in the OS because you can get to your FTP from inside your network. I believe that your problem is router or port forwarding related.

Have you tried plugging the router into the actiontec router?

Jabes

banned
I don't think that the problem is in the OS because you can get to your FTP from inside your network. I believe that your problem is router or port forwarding related.

Have you tried plugging the router into the actiontec router?

umm my server is down right now but I'll try that wen its back up agan

brian

VIP Member
ok i have been talking to jabes from the start... just missed this thread :D.

but what i think is the problem is this

his modem/router is 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0
howerver his secount router is 192.168.1.1 so i had him on the modem have the ftp open from 21 to 21 and to ip 192.168.0.2 (which i believe to be the linksys in the 0.1 network) then i have him forward 21 to 21 from the linksys and to his server.

It should work, but it doesent

axgrinder73

Any time you try to double route it can cause problems. My question is Why use two routers?

I would either plug the server into the actiontec router OR just use the Linksys router as a switch. (unplug the patch cable from the internet side of the router and plug it into the LAN side) This is how I use my Linksys router (for a switch and WAP) because I use Smoothwall for routing.

Jabes

banned
Any time you try to double route it can cause problems. My question is Why use two routers?

I would either plug the server into the actiontec router OR just use the Linksys router as a switch. (unplug the patch cable from the internet side of the router and plug it into the LAN side) This is how I use my Linksys router (for a switch and WAP) because I use Smoothwall for routing.

I would still be able to get internet that way?

axgrinder73

I would still be able to get internet that way?

Yes, basically (if your router is like mine) the Linksys router acts like a switch, router and firewall all in one package. So, when you don't have anything plugged into the internet port, it will just function as a switch. You might need to make sure that DHCP is turned off.

I would try plugging the server into the actiontec router first.

Thanks for keeping us posted. I am very curious to find out what the solution will be.

tlarkin

VIP Member
What I described earlier, goes along with what Ax here is saying. If you disable certain features from the router like SPI firewall and NAT, you are basically just making it a repeater on your network. You will also need to assign the additional routers different IPs on your network, like I outlined in the previous post.

Not all consumer routers are created equal and some lack a lot of features so you may not be able to do exactly what I outlined, which is why I only really use routers that support DDWRT firmware.

Jabes

banned
I'm switching servers right now but I thought about using my pc with iis or something like that would that work? because I have all my files on my main pc and it would kinda be a pain to have to transfer the files over to the server but watever is better I just thought it would be easier for me because I don't know that much about linux

tlarkin

VIP Member
Easier is subjective. I don't know your knowledge, the ins and outs of your set up, your ability to learn, how fast you learn, and your willingness to go forth with the trial and error process.

For me, in my opinion, I would just learn how to use Linux because it is a skill set you can carry on with you later in life. Especially, if you think you want to get into the computer field when you get older and want a career.

Setting up Linux is not that hard, but it will take time out of your day to learn the ins and outs of a new OS. I have been using Linux for over 8 years, and I am still learning new things on Linux. Right now I am installing ubuntu on a dual xeon compaq server for a file server for the design department. I went with Linux because it costs us $0.00 for a license. Right now I am setting up the partition schema on the RAID 5 array I just built. I am sure there will be several things I will need a refresher, or have to google when setting this up.

For what you want to accomplish can be done many different ways. If you go the Linux route, installing Apache, and webmin will be the easiest way to do this. The router configuration will be the same regardless of platform, because networking is pretty much a standard these days.

Then, once you get it set up, you should be able to do FTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (in a web browser) where the x's would be your external IP from your ISP. Once, you hit the router, it should forward that request onto the machine designated to be forwarded to. You need to plug everything in, and for starters I would remove one router completely, to see if that is part of the problem. Deductive logic and process of elimination are two major troubleshooting steps in technology. That is why you need to keep it simple, that way it is easier to diagnose and troubleshoot.

Jabes

banned
Easier is subjective. I don't know your knowledge, the ins and outs of your set up, your ability to learn, how fast you learn, and your willingness to go forth with the trial and error process.

For me, in my opinion, I would just learn how to use Linux because it is a skill set you can carry on with you later in life. Especially, if you think you want to get into the computer field when you get older and want a career.

Setting up Linux is not that hard, but it will take time out of your day to learn the ins and outs of a new OS. I have been using Linux for over 8 years, and I am still learning new things on Linux. Right now I am installing ubuntu on a dual xeon compaq server for a file server for the design department. I went with Linux because it costs us $0.00 for a license. Right now I am setting up the partition schema on the RAID 5 array I just built. I am sure there will be several things I will need a refresher, or have to google when setting this up.

For what you want to accomplish can be done many different ways. If you go the Linux route, installing Apache, and webmin will be the easiest way to do this. The router configuration will be the same regardless of platform, because networking is pretty much a standard these days.

Then, once you get it set up, you should be able to do FTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (in a web browser) where the x's would be your external IP from your ISP. Once, you hit the router, it should forward that request onto the machine designated to be forwarded to. You need to plug everything in, and for starters I would remove one router completely, to see if that is part of the problem. Deductive logic and process of elimination are two major troubleshooting steps in technology. That is why you need to keep it simple, that way it is easier to diagnose and troubleshoot.
I found a program called serv-u I'm tryin that out

edit: to get into my ftp server from my dyndns page would i just go to www.jabes-server.kicks-ass.net ?

tlarkin

VIP Member
You have to register that domain, dynamic DNS allows for domain names to have dynamic IP addresses. So, when the IP changes, the domain name will point to the new IP. You, I am guessing, have not registered that as a domain, so you will need to use your external IP address. DynDNS will track if your IP changes and let you know. You can set it up so you can log into account.dyndns.org and that will redirect you to your IP.

Geoff

VIP Member
You have to register that domain, dynamic DNS allows for domain names to have dynamic IP addresses. So, when the IP changes, the domain name will point to the new IP. You, I am guessing, have not registered that as a domain, so you will need to use your external IP address. DynDNS will track if your IP changes and let you know. You can set it up so you can log into account.dyndns.org and that will redirect you to your IP.
Isn't that what I said to begin with on the first page?

In order to access your server remotely via a domain name such as that, you need to register it, which costs money.

tlarkin

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];833653 said:
Isn't that what I said to begin with on the first page?

In order to access your server remotely via a domain name such as that, you need to register it, which costs money.

Probably, I repeated myself several times already. I don't think he understands registered and non registered domains.