remote ftp server

Jabes

banned
doesn't work I'm gonna try a program called pfconfig I'll let u kno how that works

Last edited:

tremmor

http://www.cerberusftp.com/

i went through the same thing and getting it going.
I would take down the software firewall if you have one.
at least until you get it going.

Im going to tell ya what i know. maybe it will help.

take the software firewall down and try until working.

your router should have something like:
service ports FTP 21, 10000-10010 (allow 10 people at same time).
your software FTP should be something similar.

It was mentionded on your post about 21 may be closed. not with comcast.
if your not sure call and ask.

other ports
3954-3983
4043-4095
4161-4198

good luck......it was my learning curve also.

Motoxrdude

The problem is he is behind two routers. He has to forward port 21 on the #1 router for the #2 router, then from the #2 router foward port 21 for the server. In a nut shell it blows, lol.

Jabes

banned
Where is your cable modem is the diagramthat you posted?

Network-1.jpg

axgrinder73

So, the actiontec is booth a router and a modem? Which router are you using to portforward? Can you port forward on the actiontec router? If so, can you plug the server into the actiontec?

Motoxrdude

You need to turn off NAT and DHCP on one router, that was what I didn't grasp earlier.

Yes, you have to use static ip on router #2, and static ip on the server, that way it will always use the ip address that the port is forwarded to.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yes, you have to use static ip on router #2, and static ip on the server, that way it will always use the ip address that the port is forwarded to.

Well, most routers (that are decent) should actually have a feature called static DHCP, which is what you will want to use so all other clients can still get an IP via DHCP, but the MAC address of your server will be dynamically assigned the same IP address indefinitely.

Otherwise, you will have to manually give every client on your network a IP and subnet mask if you turn off the router's DHCP function.

My router supports it, and my ODM server is running static DHCP at home.

Motoxrdude

Well, most routers (that are decent) should actually have a feature called static DHCP, which is what you will want to use so all other clients can still get an IP via DHCP, but the MAC address of your server will be dynamically assigned the same IP address indefinitely.

Otherwise, you will have to manually give every client on your network a IP and subnet mask if you turn off the router's DHCP function.

My router supports it, and my ODM server is running static DHCP at home.

No, you setup static ip on the server, and it uses that ip everytime, along with gateway, dns, etc. You can use "static dhcp" on router #1 so that way router #2 gets the same ip address everytime, or you can do it from router #2 and use static ip so it uses the same ip everytime.

Jabes

banned
So, the actiontec is booth a router and a modem? Which router are you using to portforward? Can you port forward on the actiontec router? If so, can you plug the server into the actiontec?

I have it that way already

and do I need to have a static IP on one router for it to work right or not?