remote ftp server

tlarkin

VIP Member
could be tons of different things.

I would first see if you can do it from computer to computer inside your network. See if you can ssh or FTP from one client to the other inside your network. If you can't there are problems in your network.

axgrinder73

Do you know your IP from your ISP? Is that the IP that you use when you try to access it remotely? Do you have a static address assigned to the box running FTP? And you are port forwarding to that address?

axgrinder73

You don't need to mess with a dydns right now. Your address (for the box running FTP) needs to be static at your router. You need to set the router to give out addresses in a range for DHCP.

lets use 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.200 for example, that way the router will assign IPs to machines in this range leaving the other addresses (192.168.1.201 - 192.168.1,254) for static assignments. This has nothing to do with your IP from your ISP, this is necessary for the port forwarding to work properly.

You will also need to set the network properties on the FTP box to use a static address.

The reason to use DYDNS is for when you have a registered domain name and want to use it with an address (from your ISP) that is DHCP. DYDNS will change when your are issued a new IP from your ISP.

You do realize that once to start running FTP that you will have people constantly trying to hack it?

massahwahl

VIP Member
You don't need to mess with a dydns right now. Your address (for the box running FTP) needs to be static at your router. You need to set the router to give out addresses in a range for DHCP.

lets use 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.200 for example, that way the router will assign IPs to machines in this range leaving the other addresses (192.168.1.201 - 192.168.1,254) for static assignments. This has nothing to do with your IP from your ISP, this is necessary for the port forwarding to work properly.

You will also need to set the network properties on the FTP box to use a static address.

The reason to use DYDNS is for when you have a registered domain name and want to use it with an address (from your ISP) that is DHCP. DYDNS will change when your are issued a new IP from your ISP.

You do realize that once to start running FTP that you will have people constantly trying to hack it?

How would anyone know he was running an FTP server? And how would they know his IP to connect to it?

Jabes

banned

well I have my ftp box set to static so your saying that I need to make my router static wouldn't that make it so that all my pcs on that router are static?

and its going to be running linux so it won't be as hackable as a pc right?

axgrinder73

Ever hear of a port scanner? Mine was up for three day before people started trying to get in. Luckily, no one got in, but I blocked all of the IPs that were trying to gain unauthorized access (that's a pretty long list). Almost all of the IPs were coming from proxy servers from Asia, so there was no easy way to find out who was trying to hack me.

Jabes

banned
Ever hear of a port scanner? Mine was up for three day before people started trying to get in. Luckily, no one got in, but I blocked all of the IPs that were trying to gain unauthorized access (that's a pretty long list). Almost all of the IPs were coming from proxy servers from Asia, so there was no easy way to find out who was trying to hack me.

but isn't linux harder to hack?

axgrinder73

Your router probably already has a static address (most likely 192.168.1.1). But, does your router see the FTP box? think that most router have to be set up to allow both static and DHCP addresses (via the process I mentioned before).

If your FTP box already has a static address and the router sees it, GREAT! You are on your way. Now, make sure that your port forwarding rules point to that static address.
For example: port 21 forwarded to xxx.xxx.x.xxx (what ever the address of the box is, NOT the address from your ISP)

If this is set right, goto another machine on your network- goto my computer - in the address bar type ftp://xxx.xxx.x.xxx (fill in the x's with the address from your FTP box) and hit enter.

Let us know what happens.

massahwahl

VIP Member

How in the world would someone know that you just set up a ftp server?

Jabes

banned
I can get in from another pc on the network just not from a pc outside of my network so thats why I came here :D

Last edited:

axgrinder73

How in the world would someone know that you just set up a ftp server?

People just sit around with port scanners running to scan random IP addresses for open ports. Once they find one they use password cracks to try to get in. That is why a strong password and user name is important.

Like I said, no one was successful, but I take an active roll to keep people out.

Ninja, that is why I recommended Smoothwall for you. It has a feature that would allow you to block all incoming IP's except your brothers.

massahwahl

VIP Member
People just sit around with port scanners running to scan random IP addresses for open ports. Once they find one they use password cracks to try to get in. That is why a strong password and user name is important.

Like I said, no one was successful, but I take an active roll to keep people out.

Ninja, that is why I recommended Smoothwall for you. It has a feature that would allow you to block all incoming IP's except your brothers.

Awesome! I will check it out :)

axgrinder73

I can get in from another pc on the network just not from a pc outside of my network so thats why I came here :D

Then you have an issue with your port forwarding rule OR your ISP blocks incoming port 21.

Double check your port forwarding rules on your router.

Did you scan yourself for open ports at GRC.com?

Jabes

banned
heres the ports I have forwarded 21,22, 443 and 80 are there any others that i need to forward?

edit yea I scanned port 21 and it says that its stealth

Last edited: