Which do you like better: 360, PS3, Wii

Votes: 117 43.7%
  • PS3

Votes: 89 33.2%
  • Wii

Votes: 62 23.1%

• Total voters

12-Gauge

Here's an interesting fact that I just read in the paper. The ratio for the sales of PS3s, 360s and Wiis is about 1 : 2 : 4 respectively. However, many people mistakingly believe that these figures are directly proportional to how much money the companies make from console sales i.e. some believe that if Sony made $1million from selling PS3s then Wii would have made $4million. This is not true.
If you take in to account the price of each console, aswell as the amount of profit or loss that the company has to deal with, it becomes apparent that Nintendo aren't making nearly as much money from the Wii as some have come to believe. The overall ratio of money generated from next-gen console sales (income not profit) was quoted at about 1 : 1.5 : 2.5. If we believe these figures to be accurate it would mean that for every $1million Sony generates from selling PS3s, Nintendo make about $2.5million. It's hardly surprising considering the amount of interest in the console, but it's still important to get your facts and figures right, rather than making wild claims.

12-Gauge

Hear me out TJGoSurf. I never said that your figures were wild claims. On the contrary, your input has been purely factual. What I meant was that people, in general, shouldn't always take things at face value. I was trying to explain how information can be misleading by using the example of consoles sold compared to money generated from console sales (which are, ofcourse different things but are sometimes confused as being directly proportional).
In fact, I'm not quite sure why you think that I am accusing you of inaccuracy. My data actually supports your data quite well.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
nintendo actually makes profit off their console where as microsoft and sony are losing money, so add that in to account. Nintendo is not only out selling them, but at the same time generating more revenue.

12-Gauge

nintendo actually makes profit off their console where as microsoft and sony are losing money, so add that in to account.

I think it has been taking into account. I did some calculations myself to see if they were plausable and they seemed to check out, but then again, i'd probably trust CNN Money more than the Sunday Times :D

Edit: I just cracked out the calculator and it appears that you were right tlarkin, they don't take into account profit or loss after all, just the price of the console.

Last edited:

Pck21

nintendo actually makes profit off their console where as microsoft and sony are losing money, so add that in to account. Nintendo is not only out selling them, but at the same time generating more revenue.

Completely true. Microsoft and Sony are charging more for games, $10 higher than Nintendo's Wii actually, because that's how they are trying to break even and then start turning a profit. Sony and Microsoft will not make as much money in games as Nintendo in the end because Microsoft and Sony have limited first party titles while Nintendo has been pumping out first party titles since launch and therefore cutting costs, turning a profit from the start, and selling consoles consoles and games hand over fist.

This was Nintendo's "make or break" console, IMO, after the Gamecube did so poorly. The Wii HAD to sell for a profit for Nintendo to steal some of the lime light from Sony and Microsoft. Sure the hardware isn't as flashy as the other consoles but Nintendo has done what Microsoft and Sony have not done since the launch of all of their consoles and that's sell to people who don't normally play video games. My gf, who hates games, bought a Wii and plays it non stop, like I do with my 360 and PS3. There are stories of retirement homes buying 3 or more Wii's because residents love to play the Wii Sports bowling game. Microsoft and Sony has never done that and that's why they will ALWAYS trail behind Nintendo until their new consoles are launched in another 5-7 years. Anyone else agree?

12-Gauge

Anyone else agree?

To some extent yes. On the one hand, you're right, Nintendo's Wii has certainly done something amazing and paved the way for a new era of gaming. However, I disagree with your point that Microsoft and Sony will "ALWAYS" trail behind Microsoft. I mean, how can you call 10 million 360s sold "trailing behind???

TJGoSurf

Take a step back and look at thru some of our eyes, there are some of us who have played video games for 20 some even 30 years. There are only so many times I can press up down up down left right left right...before I start to get bored with it. There is nothing revolutionary left for me. And it almost sounds stupid to say it, but it works. "Ok we are going to take a boxing game, but instead of mashing buttons we want you to move your fists as if you were really boxing." or "We know you love DBZ but what if you really had to move your arms and fists for a kamehameha?" It is just like a DS, these things have been out for quite awhile, when I first heard it, saw it, even played it at walmart it just seemed weird to me. But I finally bought one and the fact that I am that more involved with it makes it more fun.

As for the Sony vs Microsoft, they have yet to turn a profit on their xbox division. While I have no hard evidence of Sony, I hope they have.

12-Gauge

As for the Sony vs Microsoft, they have yet to turn a profit on their xbox division.

Yeah, I heard about that too. It's surprising that even with all of their millions of consoles being sold, they are both still in the red.

Pck21

To some extent yes. On the one hand, you're right, Nintendo's Wii has certainly done something amazing and paved the way for a new era of gaming. However, I disagree with your point that Microsoft and Sony will "ALWAYS" trail behind Microsoft. I mean, how can you call 10 million 360s sold "trailing behind???

I can respect that. Like I said, it's only my opinion, and I don't consider myself right or wrong. I just wanted to put my thoughts out there.

You're right I don't think the 360 itself is trailing in sales, but the gaming department at Microsoft as a whole is trailing. Now I don't have exact "proof" of that, but as far I as I'm aware, Microsoft has not made a profit off it's Xbox and Xbox 360 consoles since both launches. It doesn't mean they didn't turn a profit from games, but both consoles were/are sold at a loss.

bigsaucybob

I can respect that. Like I said, it's only my opinion, and I don't consider myself right or wrong. I just wanted to put my thoughts out there.

You're right I don't think the 360 itself is trailing in sales, but the gaming department at Microsoft as a whole is trailing. Now I don't have exact "proof" of that, but as far I as I'm aware, Microsoft has not made a profit off it's Xbox and Xbox 360 consoles since both launches. It doesn't mean they didn't turn a profit from games, but both consoles were/are sold at a loss.

Your right, and its the same with the PS3. The only console that sells for more than its actually worth is the Wii. MS and Sony loose a substantial amount of money on each console they sell.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Take a step back and look at thru some of our eyes, there are some of us who have played video games for 20 some even 30 years. There are only so many times I can press up down up down left right left right...before I start to get bored with it. There is nothing revolutionary left for me. And it almost sounds stupid to say it, but it works. "Ok we are going to take a boxing game, but instead of mashing buttons we want you to move your fists as if you were really boxing." or "We know you love DBZ but what if you really had to move your arms and fists for a kamehameha?" It is just like a DS, these things have been out for quite awhile, when I first heard it, saw it, even played it at walmart it just seemed weird to me. But I finally bought one and the fact that I am that more involved with it makes it more fun.

As for the Sony vs Microsoft, they have yet to turn a profit on their xbox division. While I have no hard evidence of Sony, I hope they have.

Yup, I had the original NES when it first came out in 1985 or 84...I also had an atari before that. To me gaming isn't all about realistic graphics. I can't tell you how many times I have played an awesome state of the art 3D shooter game through once and then deleted it off my computer not to touch it again. It is utilimately all about game play.

Some of the best games I have ever played in my entire life are not the most high tech, and I still play them to this day and love them every time I play them.

Mario
Mario Kart 64 - best version of mario kart
Fallout 1 & 2 - possibly the best games ever made for PC
StarCraft - yeah played that for 1000s of hours...
Duke Nukem - ya that game was aswesome as a kid
zelda - all of them rule
Contra - yeah well it rules

There are others but I'll stop there. Its not about graphics and technology all the time, its about replay value. There are no PS3 or 360 games that I have played that give me a classic feel. None of them give me the replay feel that I will own the game forever. Don't get me wrong, I think the 360 has some bad ass games, but I think nintendo did it smart. Zelda is so awesome on the wii. I mean I can play the fishing mini game by itself. Wii bowling is such a fun game to play when you got people over. I can't tell you how many times before or after we go out to the bars on the weekends we play some wii bowling with friends. New Brunswick bowling should be even greater considering how basic wii bowling is. Then again, when games get too complicated they lose their luster for me. I don't really like modern sports games because I don't have time to sit down and train my team for an hour to build my franchise. I just want to play a regular old season like in techmo bowl. I also don't want to hit 3 combinations of buttons to pass or throw or whatever.

Said it before and I'll say it one more time. Sony and MS concentrate on next gen so much they miss the fun part of video games. Nintendo concentrates on the fun part. I don't even own a HD TV. I don't have cable, I don't even watch TV. So, there is really no point in my buying an awesome TV. I hate tv shows except for a select few, and I don't like watching TV all day. I'd rather read or go out and do something. So the high technology is not a huge deal to me anymore. Plus how many people have all of that and desire Blu Ray or HD DVD. My neighbor just got HD DVD and it doesn't look any better on his HD DLP 50" TV than it does on my 30" CRT TV with a regular DVD on componet cables. When I go to best buy or nebraska furniture mart and compare blu ray to hd dvd side by side they look the same to me as well. I think people just want to buy it for status and the sake of having it, and most of them don't understand the technologies or technology in general and its marketed like your old technology is obsolete but its really not. No one utilizes the new technology.

12-Gauge

Said it before and I'll say it one more time. Sony and MS concentrate on next gen so much they miss the fun part of video games. Nintendo concentrates on the fun part.

With a few exeptions. The guys behind Red Steel, for instance, focused entirely on the control interface and, in doing so, forgot to make it next-gen OR fun. But, as I said, that is an exeption.

I think people just want to buy it for status and the sake of having it

I totally agree :D. A friend of mine said that he was saving up for a HD-DVD player but then told me that he doesn't watch very many films! Lol, the only DVD he had was the Lord of the Rings...that's it. He was seriously considering spending £800 on something that he would probably never use!

TJGoSurf

Currently I have a DVD player that upscales to 720 or 1080. It looks alot better than my analog cable signal, I am thinking about digital but not HD, they only offer a few channels in HD. But then I also own maybe 80 dvd movies, and quite a few dvd collections(simpsons, star trek).

TJGoSurf

I wonder if guys who buy the 360 in Japan are like me who bought a gamecube in the usa?

Others, however, do not believe that even a $100 price cut would make a major difference in Sony's PS3 sales numbers.

$200 price cut and they won't be able to keep them on the shelves.