Votes: 13 9.1%
  • 2000MHz

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • N/A I dont have FSB

Votes: 18 12.6%

• Total voters

bigsaucybob

fade2green514 said:
tweaker will say dont spite pentium D but nobody else likes it anyways... pentium d is for cheapskates that dont like performance lol...
anyways yea X2 is the best way to go as you see by my setup.

Pentium D is for people who want the power of dual core but are on a tighter budget. They also might already have an socket 775 board and dont have the extra money to switch their mobo and get an X2 processor.

Dual_Corex2

banned
I was un-aware that we have stock fsb speeds above 400mhz?

Isnt the Core 2 Duo X6800s FSB 266mhz? I believe thats the fastest stock....
But they got that OCed to 640mhz fsb, very impressive.

Dual_Corex2

banned
How does any cpu NOT have an FSB? Isnt the FSB what controls the speed of the memory and the cpus speed in communication with the other components in the computer? : /. I would think in ANY bios with ANY cpu you would find the FSB.

Infected Cat

I would never buy an AMD as there unreliable and very temperamental. AMD produce high fsb output to compensate for lack in GHz. I haven’t yet seen AMD produce a CPU that is above 3.2GHZ, and they probably don’t have a chip that physically runs at 3.2 GHz. It's probably why most ppl buy Pentium CPU’s as there reliable and don’t crash while you're in the middle of a game or document.

Regards
Hacker Cat

Last edited:

Dual_Corex2

banned
I would never buy an AMD as there unreliable and very temperamental. AMD produce high fsb output to compensate for lack in GHz. I haven’t yet seen AMD produce a CPU that is above 3.2GHZ, and they probably don’t have a chip that physically runs at 3.2 GHz. It's probably why most ppl buy Pentium CPU’s as there reliable and don’t crash while you're in the middle of a game or document.

Regards
Hacker Cat

:/. That is a very........uneducated statement..

Until recently, AMD held the lead with its lower clock speeds. Intel had their cpus past 3.5ghz at this time, while they really werent faster. The AMDs had alot more thought put into their cpus i guess is an easy way to put it. From what i heard, the Pentiums needed the higher clock speeds becuz the pipelines in the cpu were longer then the ones in AMD chips. So really, Core Clock speed in cpus is much like Peak Power in car audio. It doesnt mean much. You cant judge a cpu by its core clock speed. Put a 3ghz P4 up against a 2.6ghz AMD Athlon and you will see the Athlon has the edge on most things. And i find even todays AMD chips to be very reliable, my P4 was also reliable. Both have been great CPUs.

But the point is, AMD never needed their CPUs to have the high clock speeds the Pentiums did to produce the same or better performance.

And your FSB is more important then your clock speed. The faster the fsb, the faster the ram and other components connected will run. The FSB is more/less the core clock of the entire system.

ceewi1

VIP Member
I was un-aware that we have stock fsb speeds above 400mhz?
We don't - this thread was originally created to see how many people thought they did!

How does any cpu NOT have an FSB? Isnt the FSB what controls the speed of the memory and the cpus speed in communication with the other components in the computer? : /. I would think in ANY bios with ANY cpu you would find the FSB.
Read CPU101. Or the rest of this thread.
Praetor said:
HyperTransport, Lightning Data Transport
Implemented on AMD K8 series processors, this is, for all intents and purposes a bidirectional FSB but is clocked significantly higher. The base clock for the HyperTransport is 200MHz and the multiplier's go up to five. Factor in the principle of DDR and you get a maximum net effective hypertransport clock of 1000MHz (2000DDR). Naturally, marketers will often write this as FSB1600 or FSB2000 however this is incorrect as the actual clock speed is still half of that (marketers forget that DDR only means "effective") and that HyperTransport and Front-Side-Bus are mutually exclusive. Intel platforms do not have support for HyperTransport.

I would never buy an AMD as there unreliable and very temperamental.
No more or less so than Intel chips.
AMD produce high fsb output to compensate for lack in GHz. I haven’t yet seen AMD produce a CPU that is above 3.2GHZ, and they probably don’t have a chip that physically runs at 3.2 GHz.
AMD chips have a completely different architecture, that allows greater performance at lower clocks. So do Intel's new Core 2 Duos, for that matter.

Dual_Corex2

banned
Read CPU101. Or the rest of this thread.

Even so, arnt you guys saying that Athlon 64s dont have an FSB? Mine does though, its 200mhz. I know AMD calls it something different now, but is it not the same thing? Everything is getting skewed for marketing if you ask me.

Infected Cat

Pentium CPU’s are high in GHZ due to Pentiums architecture. Pentiums architecture is much more advanced than AMD's allowing Pentium to reach speeds of 3.8 GHz. some users of amd are now relising that amd's architecture is to blame for tha lack in GHz power, it’s so basic that FSB is the only part that can be advanced.

FSB is probably very important but not as important as clock speed, even Bill Gates said “a computer low in clock speed and high in fsb is not a computer i would have"

AMD have fsb's of 2000 now which is pointless as this will lag the information between the ram and CPU. Memory these days go up to 800 MHz, when running that with a CPU that has an fsb of 1000 will not improve much, in fact the ram would be playing catch up. This is why clock speed is important it makes up for the gap between RAM and CPU FSB.

Last edited:

Dual_Corex2

banned
Pentium CPU’s are high in GHZ due to Pentiums architecture. Pentiums architecture is much more advanced than AMD's allowing Pentium to reach speeds of 3.8 GHz. some users of amd are now relising that amd's architecture is to balme for tha lack in GHz power, it’s so basic that fsb is the only part that can be advanced.

FSB is probably very important but not as important as clock speed, even Bill Gates said “a computer low in clock speed and high in fsb is not a computer i would have"

AMD have fsb's of 2000 now which is pointless as this will lag the information between the ram and CPU. Memory these days go up to 800 MHz, when running that with a CPU that has an fsb of 1000 will not improve much, in fact the ram would be playing catch up. This is why clock speed is important it makes up for the gap between RAM and CPU FSB.

No.....that is incorrect. The AMDs Athlon architecture is better then the Pentiums, thats why they did not NEED higher clock speeds to achive better performance then a Pentium at the same speed. The clock speed truely means nothing man. Compare the 1.8ghz Core 2 Duo to the 3.6ghz P4 and i doubt the P4 would win on any of the benchmarks. And bill gates can shove that up his ass, the man knows nothing. Iv always hated him......but thats besides the point. I dont know if he really said that or not, but if he did, thats his opinion, if he doesnt want a good computer then let him have crap.

Shall we go back. The FSB is the speed at which the cpu communicates with the other components in the computer (ie. memory, video card, other PCI cards, hdd, etc.) whereas the clock speed is nothing more then a high number put out to sell. I would never buy a 3.4ghz P4 over a 2.6ghz Athlon. I feel that anyone that would should be educated more on cpus.

My friend, you need to read some of this stuff and do some research before you go bashing AMD and making these incorrect statements....:)

And i can bet you anything if you had a cpu with an FSB of 1ghz you would truely amaze the world and it would have astonishing performance. However being able to find the ram that would run close to 1ghz would be a problem.....but if you get the ram to run 1ghz as well, you got yourself one of the (if not) fastest machines out there.

Last edited:

Dual_Corex2

banned
AMD have fsb's of 2000

Would this be in mhz or ghz? lol. Either way that is also incorrect. As stated earlier, there is no current cpu with an actual FSB above 266mhz (stock). The highest reached in an overclock was 640mhz. What you are thinking about is called AMDs HTT. Which actually, is much more advanced then Intels Hyper-Threading. I really didnt like the idea of Intels HT. I dont think it was really useful, all it did was make the system believe there was 2 cpus instead of one. Im not sure how that would make anything more effective..... But AMDs are also better since the memory controller is built into the chip, making it faster to access rather then having it on the board taking up useful space as Intels do. :D

Dual_Corex2

banned
\

AMD have fsb's of 2000 now which is pointless as this will lag the information between the ram and CPU. \.

I want to know........even if this statement was true (that AMDs have a 2ghz FSB) then how would it be pointless and lag the information? If anything that would make the information move at lightning fast speeds.

I want to know........even if this statement was true (that AMDs have a 2ghz FSB) then how would it be pointless and lag the information? If anything that would make the information move at lightning fast speeds.

After adding the DDR, the fastes RAM i think right now is 1192MHz out of the box. plu there is a 1066MHz FSB on the newer Intel processors. and I would take a 2.4GHz C2D over ANY AMD out there. and nice tripple post.

Dual_Corex2

banned
After adding the DDR, the fastes RAM i think right now is 1192MHz out of the box. plu there is a 1066MHz FSB on the newer Intel processors. and I would take a 2.4GHz C2D over ANY AMD out there. and nice tripple post.

Thats a common misconception due to the marketing. They advertise the bus speed (now has more names like HTT speed) as the FSB. When that is not the case. The 1066mhz FSB you speak of is really the bus speed and the FSB is 266mhz. And yes the new Core 2 Duos will pwn any AMD at anything really. They are great cpus. I highly doubt the fastest ram is actually 1192mhz. Again, a misonception due to marketing. Like the DDR400 thing. Advertised to run at 400mhz and it only runs at 200mhz. I believe if you cut that in half youd get a more accurate reading of 596mhz. Which still seems like an outragous number to me.

Thats a common misconception due to the marketing. They advertise the bus speed (now has more names like HTT speed) as the FSB. When that is not the case. The 1066mhz FSB you speak of is really the bus speed and the FSB is 266mhz. And yes the new Core 2 Duos will pwn any AMD at anything really. They are great cpus. I highly doubt the fastest ram is actually 1192mhz. Again, a misonception due to marketing. Like the DDR400 thing. Advertised to run at 400mhz and it only runs at 200mhz. I believe if you cut that in half youd get a more accurate reading of 596mhz. Which still seems like an outragous number to me.

Sorry, DDR2-1150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227184

And technically speaking the FSB of C2D models and other P4 and other processors that are newer use the 1066MHz FSB WITH a bus of 266, the FSB is 1066

As far as the RAM being twice the speed, it DOES run at the 575MHz, but it has the speed of 1150...

Dual_Corex2

banned
Sorry, DDR2-1150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227184

And technically speaking the FSB of C2D models and other P4 and other processors that are newer use the 1066MHz FSB WITH a bus of 266, the FSB is 1066

As far as the RAM being twice the speed, it DOES run at the 575MHz, but it has the speed of 1150...

Again with marketing....thats almost all it is nowadays. They have skewed the meaning of bus speed and FSB now. The FSB is that speed thats in your bios, which will NOT read 1066mhz. Instead, it will read 266mhz which in the Intel cpus its quad-pumped to produce the 1066mhz bus speed. And if your memory is running at 575mhz.....it cant have a speed of 1150mhz...

And logically, it wouldnt make sense to run the ram faster then the FSB (266mhz) anyway. Your ram should always be synced with your cpus FSB.

Also, another misconception, DDR (double data rate) does NOT mean twice the speed. It simply means its twice as fast as SDR at the same speed.

Last edited:
Again with marketing....thats almost all it is nowadays. They have skewed the meaning of bus speed and FSB now. The FSB is that speed thats in your bios, which will NOT read 1066mhz. Instead, it will read 266mhz which since the Intel cpus have 4 pipelines its quad-pumped to produce the 1066mhz bus speed. And if your memory is running at 575mhz.....it cant have a speed of 1150mhz...

And logically, it wouldnt make sense to run the ram faster then the FSB (266mhz) anyway. Your ram should always be synced with your cpus FSB.

Is that why I get better benchmark results and better performce with my BH-5's at DDR650 compared to DDR400?