• Power PC

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • other (specify)

Votes: 9 1.2%

• Total voters

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
. It seems like some people takes for granted one path is better than the other (regardless of their level of experience).
With emphasis on "regardless of their level of experience"

Get a Venice 3000+ and overclock it to 2.8 GHz
And what happens if you cant do the 1Ghz OC?

Geoff

VIP Member
cptnwinky said:
AMD are just faster chips. The P4 is too slow because of the large L2 Cache. Since AMD hasnt brokent he 256 mark they are alot faster. I think Intel has learned from their mistake though and brought the L2 Cache from 512 back down to 256.

its past that now :p

gamerman4

I think it should be more of a vote for the Athlon or the Pentium rather than AMD and Intel since those are the main CPUs and that is what people are referring to when saying their reason for voting.
I voted for AMD because I like their Athlon CPUs, I know they have others and they are very nice CPUs but my favorite is this Athlon. I didn't not for for Intel because I hate their CPUs it is just that Athlon can make faster CPUs for gaming for less of a price. I love gaming and I don't have much of a budget. It fits good for me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I think it should be more of a vote for the Athlon or the Pentium rather than AMD and Intel since those are the main CPUs and that is what people are referring to when saying their reason for voting.
For starters you should be specific because Athlons are a few generations past the Pentium (even tho i do know what u intended). Furthermore, PentiumMs will give damn near any Athlon system a good run for its money.

Zhuge Liang

Pentium M's are the best thing to come from Intel. First they say a higher clock speed is better, now they have these M CPU's running slower then their P4's and beating them out. Going back on what they originally said.

I run AMD, and only AMD. I've got the AMD in my signature, a XP 3200+ system, and have built many AMD systems in the past for friends and family.

MatrixEVO

AMD for me...

When I first started to build computers, I chose Intel because I somehow trusted them more then AMD. But after I had experience with my friends computers with AMDs, I changed my mind. Now I trust the new AMDs more then Intel. They have many advantages over Intel also. More for your money is one of them.

Geoff

VIP Member
MatrixEVO said:
When I first started to build computers, I chose Intel because I somehow trusted them more then AMD. But after I had experience with my friends computers with AMDs, I changed my mind. Now I trust the new AMDs more then Intel. They have many advantages over Intel also. More for your money is one of them.

i agree, i was a huge intel fan before, but now im an amd fan, i will never buy a celeron every again! im sticking with semprons and athlon 64's :D

cptnwinky said:
AMD are just faster chips. The P4 is too slow because of the large L2 Cache. Since AMD hasnt brokent he 256 mark they are alot faster. I think Intel has learned from their mistake though and brought the L2 Cache from 512 back down to 256.

That has nothing to do why P4's are "slow." It has more to do with the large amount of pipelines, and slower bus speed. The P4's also do far less IPC then even the older P3.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The P4 has 1 pipeline, as does every pentium/athlon/celeron/sempron/etc family core, the pipeline has many stages. GPUs have many pipelines.

4W4K3

VIP Member
Cromewell said:
The P4 has 1 pipeline, as does every pentium/athlon/celeron/sempron/etc family core, the pipeline has many stages. GPUs have many pipelines.

What's the highest count pipes on any single GPU? 16?

Here's a good question. Describe how GPU pipelines operate differently than CPU pipelines. I can't lol...but would like to know.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Describe how GPU pipelines operate differently than CPU pipelines.
If you boil it down they are the same, just realize that CPUs are single piped (at this point) and GPUs aren't.

I believe 24 is the most pixel pipes, GPUs have the pixel pipes grouped into 4 for 1 pipeline (this is why they can be unlocked in groups of 4) but for this lets count each as it's own. Add in the shader units and you've got 32 total pipes

fatal1ty_fan

why does evey one compare amd and intel i ask you guys and gails to stop this on going argument and have every one agree amd is better

ghost

AMD FX 57 or Intel Pentium 4 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.73GHz Extreme Edition

AMD FX 57 or Intel Pentium 4 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.73GHz Extreme Edition

About the same price, both claim to be the business !!

Im not rich enough to own either...
Just want to know what one you guys/girls would have and why ?

cheers, steve

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
why does evey one compare amd and intel i ask you guys and gails to stop this on going argument and have every one agree amd is better
Well fans tend to have arguments and debates ... fanboys tend to be immature, stupid and get banned.

Im not rich enough to own either...
Just want to know what one you guys/girls would have and why ?
Depends on what im building the machine for. Each machine is built ground up for a role.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
i ask you guys and gails to stop this on going argument and have every one agree amd is better
Yeah that's going to happen... :rolleyes: ever try to encode a divx video on an Athlon64? sure it works but its considerably faster on a P4/PD