• No

Votes: 78 75.7%

• Total voters

PC eye

banned

SFR

Truth fears no questions
PC eye said:
If you have a small hard drive lying around somewhere you could add that to a newer case and see a small dos partition on it. Or you could try DosBox for running older dos games and other 8bit or 16bit dos apps on a virtual dos drive. Here's a link of links with Sourceforge.net as the leader of the pack for download. http://infospace.abcnews.com/_1_2OMTTG90347TPFZ__info.abcnws.toolbar/search/web/dosbox The definition can be looked over at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox

I forgot the type of hard drive, but it does not work with newer motherboards... Besides, that would make the Cybermax computer absolutely worthless and I am not ready to throw away my first PC...

Bobo

banned
Yep, I have it on an old Compaq 486 (AMD AM486 processor) and I occasionally use it, generally for reading 5.25" floppies

PC eye

banned
SFR said:
I forgot the type of hard drive, but it does not work with newer motherboards... Besides, that would make the Cybermax computer absolutely worthless and I am not ready to throw away my first PC...

You wouldn't have to throw it away. But you could gve DosBox a try to see the same game run on an XP system! The process is easy there to create a virtual C in order to mount that in a simulated dos shell. The original Duke Nukem that could never run in even 3.1 let alone 95 runs on an XP machine. And that is an old 8bit game there. You can't imagine the expression when the 1st duke was heard in surround sound and not the pc speaker! :p

jbennet

3.11 rocks!

10mb RAM and a 50mhz 486DX makes a monster of a machine for it.
I have IE5, windows networking and win32s installed and can play cds in it and do games it even has office (4?)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol i didnt think this post would gain so many replies,And im suprised to the amount of people who still has it on old computers.

I found an old 6Gb hard drive from my very old 100Mhz system which died on me a few years back and that had windows 95 on it.

I had fun last week smashing it up:D

PC eye

banned
Gee you had a 6gb drive that much? The old IBM 386 saw a 500mb drive as well as the AST 486 seeing a WD 1.4gb drive still in use with 95 in surprisingly a Packard Bell 166mhz machine. Jumping out that AST piece of ... the Soyo board then used saw 500mhz with 95 at first and later 98. When first trying out 98 to upgrade from 95 I had both running on one partition. 98 was custom installed to a Window98 named folder while 95 remained in the default. 98 would offer to load 95 during bootup. Well that was an early dual OS attempt there.

leSHok

my windows 95 has about 2 whole gigs
watch out!
i tried putting high speed on it a year ago thinking it would work but i was dumb and didnt realize that i would have to upgrade to get the cord in there

or atleast thats what i remember...i recently found the bootdisk though..funny

robina_80

windows 95 is so old hat even windows 98 its like 16 years man louds of things have happend since then and prob you cant get any programs to run on win9x anymore coz there so old

SC7

robina_80 said:
windows 95 is so old hat even windows 98 its like 16 years man louds of things have happend since then and prob you cant get any programs to run on win9x anymore coz there so old
Thank you for that... Windows 95 is only 11 years old, (you're 5 off). Plenty of stuff runs on 98/Me. Windows 95 lost support mainly because of a few things. 1. No natively web based supporting file browser. Explorer wasn't tied into IE. 2. The GUI is not up to standards with how the rest of Windows functions. 3. No real support for modern languages. 4. Closely related to DOS, not so much in W98. 4. Driver subsystem was different. Drivers from 95/98OE were different from 98SE/Me.

PC eye

banned
Your #4 item is a little off there. 95PLUS/98 f1st edition were much closer since the OSR2 package offered support for 32bit apps prior to release of the first 98 edition. W95 was slightly above 3.1 with the first Windows auto loader currently the boot.ini, Win.ini, and Sys.ini files. 3.1 and the early version were manually started in order to load the GUI there. The closest there obviously was the 98SE/ME with ME no longer having the shutdown to dos mode seen in the 9X versions.

PC eye

banned
Drivers for 32bit apps and hardwares could then be loaded on a limited basis until 98 1st edition came out. What was briefly seen in 95Plus was a brief go between from 16bit to 32bit driver support. Now we are seeing 32bit to 64bit for the next several years until 128bit OSs start being thought of.

Dr Studly

banned
just so u people know, there is a difference beetween HAVING a computer that still has windows 95 and USING a computer that still has windows 95

bball4life

Haha just got a Win 95 rig today, it was one of my grandpas old comps, it has a 133 Pentium and 16MB of ram, beat that. :p

SC7

Encore4More said:
just so u people know, there is a difference beetween HAVING a computer that still has windows 95 and USING a computer that still has windows 95
Very true indeed.

bball4life

Encore4More said:
Yep, currently I only have a windows 95 machine, but I got it last night so ya, but I just have to get a cheapo keyboard and mouse and see what to do about a monitor and will probably use it to do some random crap just for the heck of it, I will still use xp more.