Windows 10

WhoX

This was interesting.

Which features will be removed when I upgrade from a previous version of Windows?

Windows Media Center
DVD playback
Desktop gadgets
Preinstalled games
Floppy drive support
Windows Live Essentials (Windows Essentials)
Windows Updates
Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode

Is Media Center supported in Windows 10?

No. Persons who need to use Media Center should consider carefully before upgrading from their previous version of Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade will automatically remove any installations of Media Center.

So what are the alternatives if I need Media Center?

Your best option is to continue running your existing version of Windows with Media Center.

Although they did go on to say that Windows 10 does have a free DVD playback app.

Okedokey

If microsoft was so much in Numerology don't you think that their build numbers would also indicate something? :rolleyes:

Exactly.

A good reason why 9 was avoided?

If legacy applications wanted to determine the version, well it could cause problems:

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))
{ /* 95 and 98 */
} else {

simply a pragmatic solution, not numerology.

Last edited:

hirobo2

Exactly.

A good reason why 9 was avoided?

If legacy applications wanted to determine the version, well it could cause problems:

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))
{ /* 95 and 98 */
} else {

simply a pragmatic solution, not numerology.

Come again? People are going to install programs with that block of code... in W10 in 2015?

Okedokey

Many legacy applications will seek to determine if older OS is installed, thus a check for compatibility. Many many many out there, from drivers to crappy bloatware. Big pain for MS that doesn't need fixing if you call it 10.

hirobo2

Many legacy applications will seek to determine if older OS is installed, thus a check for compatibility. Many many many out there, from drivers to crappy bloatware. Big pain for MS that doesn't need fixing if you call it 10.

Many legacy programs don't need expensive new hardware to run (eBay) let alone the newest operating system (W10).

Punk

Staff member
Illuminati? What is an "Illuminati"? Just to let y'all know, there is an entire chapter in the Bible dedicated to numbers (ie. mathematics).

Once again, I highly urge you to look up the word "profane".

Why do you have to bring this back to religion? And if you want info on Illuminati look for it, like you're telling us to look for profane (which we know what it means).

silv55

This was interesting.

Although they did go on to say that Windows 10 does have a free DVD playback app.

That's why i'm going to download Win 7 from an ISO on another HDD than upgrade to win 10 RTM and checkout and see if i have any benefits with Win10 Vs Win7, if i don't see anything better then Win 7, just swap HDD with the original Win7 HDD.

spirit

Staff member
Good news guys, for all worried about legacy software compatibility, it has been confirmed by Gabriel Aul from Microsoft themselves that even Office 95 works in Windows 10: https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/606255205198495744 we can all sleep again at night now! *phew* :good:

...actually I'm more interested in the fact he's using build 10136 than I am about Office 95 working. WZor (renowned Russian hacker/beta leaker group, and the source of practically all of the leaked Windows 10 builds so far) have speculated that 10136 will likely be the next build on the slow ring: https://twitter.com/WZorNET/status/606523715673853953

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
As somebody that knows very little about 10, has some experience with 8.1, and primarily uses 7, what should I expect from 10?

RisingSun

I have a message in my Windows 7 taskbar offering a free upgrade to Win 10. Should I upgrade? I kind of like Win 7.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have a message in my Windows 7 taskbar offering a free upgrade to Win 10. Should I upgrade? I kind of like Win 7.

Its not available yet, not until July 29th. If you enable the update now, it will automatically update on July 29th.

spirit

Staff member
So Builds 10130 and 10135 (leaked) are working well in VMware but not so well on actual hardware for me. These builds can't be installed on Surface 3 tablets due to some driver issues and they don't work too great on my ThinkPad either, also due to some driver and stability issues. Build 10130 gave me some instabilities on my ThinkPad and some driver installations crashed.

However, 10074 works fine on the Surface 3s and my ThinkPad, so I think I'll be using 10074 on my ThinkPad until RTM comes out or until Microsoft releases another slow ring build before RTM (which I think is probably unlikely, but I could be wrong). 10074 is still the latest slow ring build and probably the most stable build of 10 that I have used to date.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Don't know how they will name it anymore. Would be to confusing to do like 10.1/ 10.2 and so on with updates. Ends up with 10.799 and so on. They might do like Apple and start adding a second name. Windows 10 Tiger or Windows 10 Pacific or Windows 10 This is Starting to Suck, as in Windows 10 STS, lol