Windows 10

Krieger

Interesting that they'd skip 9 and go right to 10.

9 is 8.1 technically. They just count 8 & 8.1 as two Windows before 10.

7 is still my OS of choice for now until someone can confirm 10 is as good as 7 or at least close to it. I'll wait a while & see how 10 does before getting it for my next PC build.

Last edited by a moderator:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

7 is still my OS of choice for now until someone can confirm 10 is as good as 7 or at least close to it. I'll wait a while & see how 10 does before getting it for my next PC build.

Talk about pulling my quote out of the grave....

hirobo2

Not technical. 8.1 IS 9! There is a method in numerology (Pythagoras method) where you reduce a compound number to a single digit by adding them.

So, Windows 8.1 = 8+1 = 9.
8.1 runs on NT kernel version 6.3 = 6+3 = 9.
8.1 comes with .NET framework 4.5 by default. 4.5 = 4+5 = 9.

How about another OS:

Windows 7 SP1. You can't add 7+1 b/c there is an SP separating them (ie. 7+S+P+1 doesn't work out mathematically, so W7 SP1 remains 7 numerologically).
W7 runs on NT Kernel version 6.1 = 6+1 = 7!

Now Windows 10:
It originally ran on NT kernel 6.4 (until they renamed it to kernel NT10). 6.4 = 6+4 = 10.
Will ship with .NET framework 4.6 = 4+6 = 10!

The guys in charge of OS naming conventions at Microsoft, they're highly versed in the art of numerology!

Lastly, why did they name the last update for 8.1 Update 1 (or was it Update 3????) and not Windows 8.11 or 8.2 or 8.1.1? B/c you can't add 8+1+U+1, so W8.1 U1 remains Windows 9 (according to numerology)!

(Btw, I might sound heretical [to W7 lovers] but you're not gonna believe this anyways. 7 is said to be The Almighty's number (ie. 7th Heaven). But, in computing terms, it's actually 6 since stuff start counting from 0 in PC terms. The reason why XP is said to be Microsoft's best produced OS is b/c it came with NT kernel 5.1 = 5+1 = 6 [in PC terms] = 7 [in non-PC terms], which is why XP is commonly referred to as MSFT's moment in [The Almighty's] light. In real terms, W7 is the impostor while XP was The Almighty's best. No offense to any one W7 lover).

Last edited:

WhoX

Some sites reported the reason why Windows 10 was not named Windows 9 was because of Windows 95 legacy code.

To save time, some third-party Windows desktop developers used a shorthand to check the version name (not number) of Windows they were installing their app to. Instead of coding apps to check for Windows 95 or Windows 98, developers coded instructions to check for "Windows 9."

spirit

Staff member
Some sites reported the reason why Windows 10 was not named Windows 9 was because of Windows 95 legacy code.

If you look online you'll find lots of different reasons, including the reason they gave in the keynote on September 30th 2014 which was along the lines of (going from my memory here):

We have Xbox One, OneDrive, One everything, so surely the next major release of Windows should be called 'Windows One'. But we've already done that. But because this is an important release we want to give it a round number, so it's Windows 10.

They said something like that.

I don't think anybody has a solid reason why it's called Windows 10. I guess it might be because 8.1 is more like a separate release in its own right than a service pack to 8.

hirobo2 said:
So, Windows 8.1 = 8+1 = 9.
8.1 runs on NT kernel version 6.3 = 6+3 = 9.
8.1 comes with .NET framework 4.5 by default. 4.5 = 4+5 = 9.
I think you'll find that those are just handy coincidences. That's not solid evidence that 8.1 *is* Windows 9 at all.

I guess the closest thing you could perhaps argue is that Windows 8.1's build number is 9600 which could perhaps, maybe, possibly suggest that it should be called 'Windows 9'. But remember that the build number for 8 was 9200, with all of the 8xxx builds (and 78xx and 79xx builds) being betas of Windows 8. They went from the final beta build of 8 being Build 8888 to the final release version of 8 being 9200 (8888 was very similar to 9200).

But I agree with you that 8.1 is the OS that comes between 8 and 10 and isn't just an update to 8. The fact that it's a 3.5GB download or something like that signals that it's more than just a service pack and the build number changed quite a bit during development. Early builds of 8.1 started out in the 93xx range, going into the 94xx range and then eventually 9600. Windows 7 SP1 is build 7601, Windows 7 RTM is 7600, Vista SP2 6002, Vista SP1 6001, Vista RTM 6000, they just tended to add 1 to the build number for a service pack (for the last few major releases of Windows anyway) but here they jumped from 9200 to 9600.

We're probably overthinking all of this anyway. To keep it simple, we can suggest that 8.1 *is* basically 'Windows 9', but proving it is hard (and probably not worth our time if we believe it to be true anyway :D).

Last edited:

hirobo2

If you look online you'll find lots of different reasons, including the reason they gave in the keynote on September 30th 2014 which was along the lines of (going from my memory here):

They said something like that.

I don't think anybody has a solid reason why it's called Windows 10. I guess it might be because 8.1 is more like a separate release in its own right than a service pack to 8.

I think you'll find that those are just handy coincidences. That's not solid evidence that 8.1 *is* Windows 9 at all.

I guess the closest thing you could perhaps argue is that Windows 8.1's build number is 9600 which could perhaps, maybe, possibly suggest that it should be called 'Windows 9'. But remember that the build number for 8 was 9200, with all of the 8xxx builds (and 78xx and 79xx builds) being betas of Windows 8. They went from the final beta build of 8 being Build 8888 to the final release version of 8 being 9200 (8888 was very similar to 9200).

But I agree with you that 8.1 is the OS that comes between 8 and 10 and isn't just an update to 8. The fact that it's a 3.5GB download or something like that signals that it's more than just a service pack and the build number changed quite a bit during development. Early builds of 8.1 started out in the 93xx range, going into the 94xx range and then eventually 9600. Windows 7 SP1 is build 7601, Windows 7 RTM is 7600, Vista SP2 6002, Vista SP1 6001, Vista RTM 6000, they just tended to add 1 to the build number for a service pack (for the last few major releases of Windows anyway) but here they jumped from 9200 to 9600.

We're probably overthinking all of this anyway. To keep it simple, we can suggest that 8.1 *is* basically 'Windows 9', but proving it is hard (and probably not worth our time if we believe it to be true anyway :D).

Same to you. Look up the word "profane".

WhoX

Who the heck runs Windows 95/98 in 2015? This is what they want you to believe. Look up the word "profane".

Actually the concern was not about who's running Windows 95, but about applications that were written using the legacy code mentioned. From what I read some companies have invested in applications that are not compatible with modern operating systems. Why should they upgrade? If the app is secure and still works then why change.

APIs. Such code is highly useful. It’s the pre-existing software that lets a developer create an application without having to write new code for opening a file, or the mechanism that lets users, say, take data from an Excel spreadsheet and dump it into a Word document. APIs are everywhere, and are critical to the functioning of the connected world. The problem with the collection of core Microsoft APIs known as Windows API is one of age....Microsoft can’t end the use of those older APIs without cutting off support for users of older software programs....For example, a Win NT 3.5 app that was purchased in 1995 will still run on a Windows 7 machine, said Jeff Schmidt, a former Microsoft security team member, who is currently CEO of consultancy JAS Global Advisors LLC. But this means that legacy code is present in the modern operating system and securing these legacy layers after the fact is difficult.

There are a large number of 9x legacy applications that work on Windows XP. How many companies are still using XP and paying Microsoft for updates? Quite a few.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a14980/still-using-windows-xp/

Punk

Staff member
If microsoft was so much in Numerology don't you think that their build numbers would also indicate something? :rolleyes:

spirit

Staff member
Moving on back to meaningful discussion, I heard that 10134 is set to be the next build for the Fast Ring, but I don't think any new builds from now will really have any new features (just bug fixes really) and I think the rate at which builds are being released will get slower as we get closer towards to July 29th, release date. :good:

hirobo2

Actually the concern was not about who's running Windows 95, but about applications that were written using the legacy code mentioned. From what I read some companies have invested in applications that are not compatible with modern operating systems. Why should they upgrade? If the app is secure and still works then why change.

There are a large number of 9x legacy applications that work on Windows XP. How many companies are still using XP and paying Microsoft for updates? Quite a few.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a14980/still-using-windows-xp/

Let me ask you this question, what kind of sane person/organization wants to upgrade to W10 just to run programs designed for Win95/98?!?! Why don't they just stick with whatever OS they're on right now?!?!

Last edited:

hirobo2

If microsoft was so much in Numerology don't you think that their build numbers would also indicate something? :rolleyes:

Like I said, you usually say Windows 8.1 U1 Build xxxx. You can't add this, it just doesn't make sense mathematically: 8+1+U+1+B+U+I+L+D+1+2+3+4!

Even if it's written 8.1.9600, you can't add 8+1+9+6+0+0. There is no mathematical number in the world that contains more than 1 decimal point!

Punk

Staff member
Like I said, you usually say Windows 8.1 U1 Build xxxx. You can't add this, it just doesn't make sense mathematically: 8+1+U+1+B+U+I+L+D+1+2+3+4!

Even if it's written 8.1.9600, you can't add 8+1+9+6+0+0. There is no mathematical number in the world that contains more than 1 decimal point!

This sounds as true as the illuminati devils in music. Quite a good laugh, thanks for it :)

hirobo2

This sounds as true as the illuminati devils in music. Quite a good laugh, thanks for it :)

Illuminati? What is an "Illuminati"? Just to let y'all know, there is an entire chapter in the Bible dedicated to numbers (ie. mathematics).

Once again, I highly urge you to look up the word "profane".