Windows 10

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well Windows 10 upgrade is available now!

There is a little windows Icon in my icon on the right next to my date and time that offers you the free upgrade to the full version of win10. It tells you can either install it now or program a date on which you want it to install.

techradar.com said:
Myerson announced in January that Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8.1 users for its first year

For the first year. :D

So after a year we have to pay for features that should have been standard/Updated for windows 8/8.1 users..great microsoft,Just great.

Il just stick with Windows 8.1 and Startisback,Does what i need it to.

spirit

Staff member
Just to clear this up again, once and for all...

Microsoft said:
As we announced earlier this year, for the first time ever, we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch.** Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

** More information about the free upgrade offer can be found at Windows.com.

It's not a case that you have to pay to use Windows 10 a year after the upgrade!

Build 10130 is the latest btw and it's available to Fast Ring Insiders as an upgrade from older builds. It's very similar to the leaked 10125 I posted screenshots of last week. Music app has been updated slightly.

Last edited:

2string1

I have that icon down by the clock. It says get windows 10 now. If I get it will I have to pay for it. Something about free for a year. What happens after the year is up? I have 8.1 now.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have that icon down by the clock. It says get windows 10 now. If I get it will I have to pay for it. Something about free for a year. What happens after the year is up? I have 8.1 now.
Did you really not even bother to read the post right above yours?
Just to clear this up again, once and for all...

It's not a case that you have to pay to use Windows 10 a year after the upgrade!

Build 10130 is the latest btw and it's available to Fast Ring Insiders as an upgrade from older builds. It's very similar to the leaked 10125 I posted screenshots of last week. Music app has been updated slightly.

Punk

Staff member
For the first year. :D

So after a year we have to pay for features that should have been standard/Updated for windows 8/8.1 users..great microsoft,Just great.

Il just stick with Windows 8.1 and Startisback,Does what i need it to.

You sound just like me when we discussed Win8 before it came out.

"it's going to be another Vista". Well I hope you are as wrong as I was...

WhoX

Not really sure if I'll take the bait. I'm still a little gun shy after my experience with Windows 8. I had it on my system for three months before I went back to Windows 7. Upgrading and then eventually re-installing Windows 7 wasn't my idea of time well spent.

I like Windows 7, a lot. I think I'll wait...even if I have to pay for a Windows 10 license later.

spirit

Staff member

It even says it's free!

Free for the first year that 10 is on sale, free on that device if you have upgraded within the first year!

And for the record you can't download it until July 29th because that's when 10 is launched to RTM. Reserving an upgrade only means it will download when you turn your computer on on July 29th, it's not like they're handing out a limited number of copies or something. You'll be able to download it for free anywhere between July 29th 2015 and July 29th 2016.

How many more times? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Not really sure if I'll take the bait. I'm still a little gun shy after my experience with Windows 8. I had it on my system for three months before I went back to Windows 7. Upgrading and then eventually re-installing Windows 7 wasn't my idea of time well spent.

I like Windows 7, a lot. I think I'll wait...even if I have to pay for a Windows 10 license later.

Win8 was a disaster when it came out. Now it's an awesome and well working OS (8.1).

spirit

Staff member
Win8 was a disaster when it came out. Now it's an awesome and well working OS (8.1).

Actually when it came out it was a good, stable OS it's just it took people, including myself, time to get used to the new layout etc. I used it for months before 8.1 came out, it was solid as a rock and a really nice OS once you got used to it!

Punk

Staff member
Actually when it came out it was a good, stable OS it's just it took people, including myself, time to get used to the new layout etc. I used it for months before 8.1 came out, it was solid as a rock and a really nice OS once you got used to it!

It had many bugs and compatibility issues. 8.1 fixed 99% of the problems.

spirit

Staff member
It had many bugs and compatibility issues. 8.1 fixed 99% of the problems.

Huh? Worked fine on all of the systems I had it on and I don't remember people going on about bugs and compatibility issues when it was new, I just remember people endlessly banging on about the lack of the Start Button and Start Menu!

Only bugs I can remember it had when it came out for me was with the Realtek Audio Driver - used to play the Device Connect and Device Disconnect sounds randomly. Fixed by updating to a beta driver which I used for a while and then eventually it was patched. And there was a version of AMD Cataylst Drivers that didn't work too well for a while, but those was the only issues. Could've been many more!

Windows 8 was one of the most stable versions of Windows there was. Much more stable than 7!

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 home users won't have the option to defer installing windows updates either. They will be downloaded and installed automatically, there won't be a way to stop them. Although Pro and Enterprise editions will have the choice to not install the updates. So windows home users may be reinstalling windows more often. I can see it already. Not sure if I'll upgrade within the first year or not.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That's very stupid on Microsoft's part. I can see installation issues too. Hopefully their system restore/update rollback doesn't suck.

Punk

Staff member
Huh? Worked fine on all of the systems I had it on and I don't remember people going on about bugs and compatibility issues when it was new, I just remember people endlessly banging on about the lack of the Start Button and Start Menu!

Only bugs I can remember it had when it came out for me was with the Realtek Audio Driver - used to play the Device Connect and Device Disconnect sounds randomly. Fixed by updating to a beta driver which I used for a while and then eventually it was patched. And there was a version of AMD Cataylst Drivers that didn't work too well for a while, but those was the only issues. Could've been many more!

Windows 8 was one of the most stable versions of Windows there was. Much more stable than 7!

Easy exemple, my GF's laptop was full of bugs and various programs were crashing. Update to 8.1 did the trick.

Of course I do not base this on one experience, actually tried win8 when I upgraded my desktop, before going to 8.1. Same deal.

Anyway I think I'll give them a few updates before I upgrade to 10.

spirit

Staff member
Easy exemple, my GF's laptop was full of bugs and various programs were crashing. Update to 8.1 did the trick.

Of course I do not base this on one experience, actually tried win8 when I upgraded my desktop, before going to 8.1. Same deal.

Anyway I think I'll give them a few updates before I upgrade to 10.

Weird. Worked fine for me and a lot of other people. Had it on quite a few machines around here and no issues bar the Realtek and AMD issues, both of which were sorted out eventually. When it was the latest Microsoft OS it was a good one once you got over the lack of a Start Button/Menu.

Of course, going back to it from 8.1 you see what improvements they made in 8.1 (and it's not just the addition of a Start Button, there's other stuff too such as much-improved searching in 8.1), but when I used 8 as my primary OS before 8.1 came out it was a good OS. :)

I must admit that the marketing about Windows 10 being a 'familiar' and 'simple' experience is definitely not the first time I've heard about a new version of Windows being 'simple to use'... :cool:

...but that was back in the days when I had to pay for it! :D

And yes I know they've marketed just about every version of Windows with that same terminology but it still makes me smile. :)

(It's been a long time since I've used those discs by the way! :D)

Last edited:

tremmor

Seen a icon in the system tray just now. Microsoft with offer for windows 10 now and its mine. I can download and install later it looks like. Anybody else getting this message. If it is then the question is should i. Im using Windows 7 Pro.
Checked the wifes computer just now and same message.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Seen a icon in the system tray just now. Microsoft with offer for windows 10 now and its mine. I can download and install later it looks like. Anybody else getting this message. If it is then the question is should i. Im using Windows 7 Pro.
Checked the wifes computer just now and same message.

If you're happy with 7, stay with it.

I saw the icon this morning on a few of my clients machines.