Windows 10

C4C

Also, looks like im ponying up 100 bucks for my license

Do you not have Win8 already?

Anyways, I'm enjoying it so far with the exception of Edge being the browser Battlefield 4 opens in. Frustrates me because I want it to use Pale Moon :(

That lockscreen bothers me because it's the windows default even if you change it.

spirit

Staff member
10500 is the latest compiled build: https://buildfeed.net/build/5525/

Interesting to see that the build numbers have jumped so fast. 10500 is not the final RTM build apparently, but looking at the comments on BuildFeed one guy thinks this is actually a post-RTM build.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just gave windows 10 a try,Nope..don't like it whatsoever.

Start menu is horrible with its live tiles, I turned most of them off and removed them in the hopes it would give me a slim start menu but it didn't Still you get "Apps" forced down your throat and they're pre-installed like Skype,Camera,Money,News mail client that opens up in an entire full screen like an App..it still feels to me like I'm using a tablet and not a desktop.

Their new web browser is slow too imo, Nowhere near as fast as Chrome.

Just not feeling it at all, Back to custom Windows 8.1 for me. :)

Last edited:

strollin

I've been using the W10 Tech Previews since they were first made available and I'm with you Shane, I don't care for the new Start menu.

W10's Start menu is just plain clunky, IMO and not particularly useful. I think Cortana is a useless toy and I'm definitely not a fan of the Edge browser as it has lots of gaps to fill before it could compete with more mature browsers like FireFox, Opera or Chrome.

I don't plan to upgrade any of my W7 or W8.1 machines to W10, even for free. There just isn't anything compelling in W10 to interest me to go thru the bother of upgrading. I'm sure I'll eventually have machines running W10 but that won't be until I build or buy a new machine.

I chuckle when I read posts in various forums regarding the anticipation of W10 and how people can't wait to dump the horrible W8 for W10. I run W8.1 on several machines and have absolutely no issues with it so I don't understand why people dislike it so much.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I chuckle when I read posts in various forums regarding the anticipation of W10 and how people can't wait to dump the horrible W8 for W10. I run W8.1 on several machines and have absolutely no issues with it so I don't understand why people dislike it so much.

My boss already scheduled me to upgrade him to W10 :rolleyes:

I also agree. W10's start menu is gross and clunky. Granted you can still install ClassicShell if you want.

I was against 8 and 8.1 until I wiped my desktop a while back and installed 8.1. Haven't looked back, and even using Windows 7 feels outdated to me.

spirit

Staff member
For those complaining about the Start Menu in 10, but seemingly liking Windows 8.1 and its Start Screen, you can also have the Start Screen in Windows 10, you know. Right click desktop -> Personalization -> Start -> Use Start full screen.

Note also there are options to adjust what is shown on the Start Menu in there, Shane.

Oh look, by unpinning all of the apps from the Start Menu and resizing it a bit, I now have a small and simple Start Menu, a bit like what we now see in the latest Windows Server builds (I got my hands on 10147). It took all of about 20 seconds to unpin the default pinned apps and you can change whether the recently added apps etc are shown on the Start Menu in the settings option shown above. If you ask me, it's quicker and easier to customise a Windows 10 Start Menu than it is a Windows 8 Start Screen!

Below is Windows Server 10147.

Don't like Edge? Then don't use it! I bet you didn't like Internet Explorer either. Continue to use the browser you like using. Nobody is forcing you to use Edge.

As for Cortana I find it really useful having the search bar on the taskbar but you can remove it if it's taking up too much space on the taskbar or if you don't want it there. I know in previous versions of Windows you could have Windows Search on the taskbar (XP) but my god that slowed your PC down as Windows indexed every file. Cortana in Windows 10 is more than the assistant, it's now basically the search functionality of the OS, so whilst perhaps the assistant is 'gimmicky' for some people, the search functionality is very useful. Again, if you don't like the assistant, don't use it. When you first install Windows 10 there is the option to set up the assistant and voice recognition, just skip it. The first time you use the search in 10, you can just click 'not now' to skip setting up Cortana.

This is a free upgrade and it does appear to be a good solid upgrade. Yes, 8.1 is a very good OS and yes 7 was good in its day but it really does feel outdated now, 6 years on, but I really think 10 is going to be a great OS too. You can customise it to fit your needs. I think you'd be daft not to upgrade for free especially since it's not a whole lot different to 8.1! I could maybe understand not wanting to upgrade if you had to buy it because it is quite similar to 8.1, but it's free! The things you've pointed out that you don't like you can either not use or customise to suit your needs, so I don't really see what the problem is.

One thing I've noticed that is much improved in Windows 10 from previous versions is fingerprint recognition. Using the fingerprint reader to log into Windows on my ThinkPad when it was running Windows 8.1 was a bit temperamental, sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't, so I rarely bothered. However, in Windows 10 more often than not it works perfectly and on one finger swipe - probably thanks to Windows Hello which is a new feature introduced in 10 that certainly seems to have improved the reliability of the fingerprint reader to me and made it a much more useful feature of my ThinkPad! I think it only doesn't work when I either don't scan my finger properly or scan a finger that isn't registered.

Last edited:

Troncoso

VIP Member
I know you're a "Worldwide Microsoft Student Ambassador", but you don't have to be so extremely defensive because people say they don't like Windows 10.

You say "don't use it" for every new Windows 10 feature people don't like. I have to wonder why a person would bother upgrading just to have to go through and change all these settings to make it like older Windows versions... when they could just use those older Windows version. Just because an upgrade is free doesn't mean it's worth actually upgrading to.

tremmor

I will likely upgrade. Do it now or do it later has always been the way for me. I never did like any new operating system when first installed because its so different. Yes, it was the same with windows 7 pro and XP pro. just takes getting used too and will eventually be forced too. Just another adventure i guess. Then again once i was comfortable with the system like after two or three months i liked it. This will just be another adventure. again.

WhoX

I own every version of Windows since 1.0. I will eventually buy, not download, Windows 10 to add to my collection. But will I install it? My love affair with Windows 7 is too strong at the moment. If, over time, Windows 10 gets better looking after drinking from her cup, then maybe I'll slide on over and make my move.

Geoff

VIP Member
Just installed the latest build in a VM. Has anyone done a clean install and use it as their primary OS? Any major issues (gaming specifically)?

silv55

Just gave windows 10 a try,Nope..don't like it whatsoever.

Start menu is horrible with its live tiles, I turned most of them off and removed them in the hopes it would give me a slim start menu but it didn't Still you get "Apps" forced down your throat and they're pre-installed like Skype,Camera,Money,News mail client that opens up in an entire full screen like an App..it still feels to me like I'm using a tablet and not a desktop.

Their new web browser is slow too imo, Nowhere near as fast as Chrome.

Just not feeling it at all, Back to custom Windows 8.1 for me. :)

you don't have to use their web browser, install Google chrome it will work great on 10, i did try Win 10 till 1040 build and was 5 stars.

silv55

Really? Ya don't say :rolleyes:

Bro i´ll say,and i´ll affirm,all my 7 PC's are on Google Chrome and i love it.
you don't have to be so sarcastic,if you ask the majority they will agree with me,but i did not say for you to use it,just suggested it,if you don't want the best that's your choice.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Hey, I use Chrome. I like it good enough. You seem to miss what I was even being sarcastic about.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Well, today is the release date. I just checked my Microsoft Partner Portal to see if Windows 10 was available for download, and it is. Currently downing the Win 10 Enterprise ISO to test on a workstation. My boss is eager to be upgraded and he's already slotted himself for Monday.

Troncoso

VIP Member
My work laptop is upgraded. I was going to play around with it... but it doesn't really feel like there is much to play around with.

Still waiting for my work PC notification.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm hoping my home PC has it when I get back, but all the talk about it possibly being several weeks to reach most customers is a pain.