Windows 10

2string1

Win 10 Caculator

How do I get the old win 8.1 calculator on win 10? Win 10 calculator is to small and I can't even drag it to where I want it on my monitor.

Last edited:

WhoX

How do I get the old win 8.1 calculator on win 10? Win 10 calculator is to small and I can't even drag it to where I want it on my monitor.

You can resize the calculator to any size you wish, even full screen. You can also drag the calculator to any position on the screen.

silv55

Hi guys i just did a Win 10 clean install after i had Upgraded on one of my HP laptop and everything was smooth now it looks clean fills clean runs great,
before i had the synaptic pointing device icon on my task bar and i could never get rid of it despite hiding it,it kept coming back on boot, so i will do clean install on all my machines.

WhoX

Yeah, yesterday I updated the family's laptops and PCs to Windows 10. For now everyone is happy. :D

Fitster

Hi.
I have some problems with installing win 10. Everything was ok until i accidentaly swithed off my pc. Have no idea what to do. Thats what i see:
11742637_1052081708143030_2027848851215888505_n.jpg
11836928_1052081704809697_1471389215306564922_n.jpg

Jiniix

Here's my experience with Windows 10 so far:

Laptop:
Intel i7-3610QM, Kingston 2x4GB-1600MHz, Intel HD4000 + AMD HD7970M, Seagate SSHD 500GB

Desktop:
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 4x2GB-1333MHz, GTX 460 1GB, Samsung HD322HJ

First off I wanna say: The meta-data collection is real, bro! I consider myself extremely lucky that Cortana and related is disabled and not supported in Denmark, I don't want that :)
I made it a point to look through every part that was reachable via the GUI. No command promt etc. During the OOBE I turned off pretty much everything, despite that, everywhere I went, under every rock I turned, there was some setting I could turn off that was basically just data collection.
This coincides well with the fact that it was free *tinfoil hat on*

Now, my laptop has a weird problem. With Windows 7 it will mess up the WiFi driver at reboot and I have to reinstall it. With Windows 8.1 I get a bluescreen while trying to install the AMD driver. I've tried everything. I've learned to live with WiFi having to be reinstalled and new WiFi codes put in.
I really hoped Windows 10 could fix this. It couldn't, but I got to feel the intrusive Windows Update first hand, forcing AMD drivers on to the system causing BSODs. I eventually had to do a clean reinstall and just never connect to the internet, in order to actually get it tested.

This weekend I was attending a LAN with 11 people, so I thought it was a good chance to get Windows 10 gaming tested thoroughly with a wide variety of games.
The desktop machine in question is a very basic one, which I like. On Windows 7 it requires two drivers: Chipset and GPU (Internet included in chipset). On Windows 8.1 it just requires GPU.

On the desktop machine I was very happy with the OS. There was basically nothing it could mess up automatically, and it ran fast and smooth.
All the new games ran perfectly, some even better than my mate's Windows 8.1. He could barely tab in and out of H1Z1 without it crashing, while I had no problems.
The only issue I ran in to was Warcraft III. I couldn't update it, as it said I didn't have enough HDD space (120GB free). Made it run as XP SP3 and it was flawless.

I'm really digging the new Start menu, once you've customized it right. I don't understand why we need two Control Panels/Settings though, seems like a stupid idea to me.
And the lack of control over Windows Update is ridiculous. I would be okay with forced security updates for the greater good of all, but its current state is outrageous.
I've only had issues with Razer's software (BSOD all day on Windows 7), and I used a Razer Lycosa to install the machine. When I saw it getting automatically downloaded via Update, I immediately shut down my PC and found a basic Dell keyboard. Even after multiple restarts, it still wanted to install the Razer software. I had to Safe Boot and delete all the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution (which is basically Windows Update HQ) and reboot.
I'm glad to see this still works though, resetting Windows Update the cold way.
I will likely install it on my main system (see signature) in a few weeks. I need to test multi-monitor setups on the LAN PC, since it was crap in Windows 8.1.
Also, you might say "just turn off automatic device driver installation" (which you can do by searching for "device install" and it'll fill in the blanks), but that doesn't stop Windows Update.
That basically stops the machine from looking at Windows Update in the first place. I had it completely turned off on laptop and desktop, yet it still forced drivers via Windows Update.
Some people are reporting that Windows Update would even override their new, freshly installed GPU drivers - I didn't see this at all though.

Something I find interesting, is the fact that you can remove Internet Explorer on 7 and 8.1. Or rather, you can disable it in Windows Features. You can 't do that for Edge, but there's still an option to remove Internet Explorer - which sadly didn't remove Edge :p

All in all this is a great OS that just needs a bit of polishing, and then I can just hope that M$ takes their time with Cortana here in Denmark :D

Oh and PS: During the LAN I opened an FN Bayonet Tiger Tooth @ €339 :D:D:D

I have a second Samsung HD322HJ unplugged in the machine, installed with a completely identical Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64. I actually installed this for LAN before deciding to try Windows 10, so it just worked as a backup if Windows 10 would fail something - which it didn't.
I will do some straight up comparisons to see if there's a measurable difference between the operating systems on a lower end/older machine. The GTX 460 1GB is one of the oldest cards that'll support DirectX 12 as far as I can tell.
But that's a little in the future, now I need to recuperate from LAN :p

Last edited:

WhoX

On my machine Windows 10 "Photos" isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing, opening photos. I've tried just about everything to get it to open a photo in any format.

This is what I get.

photos02.jpg

This doesn't only happen with .jpg but also with .png too. Of all the files I've tried, the only one "Photos" opens by default is .tiff.

Not to worry though, I've discovered that Google's Picasa has an awesome lightbox (photo viewer) built in. Opens all the photo files on my machine in a very attractive and practical window. Problem solved...for now.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I have had zero issues with my desktop since I switched it over. I installed it on my laptop last night and the trackpad was completely useless until I did an uninstall and reinstall of the software/driver for it. Worked fine after that. Haven't played around with it much yet, but I'll probably do a fresh install of it. It appears that you can accomplish the same effect of a clean install by "Reset the PC" and removing all your files. I'll probably do that and see how it goes.

spirit

Staff member
Asides from having some issues with NVIDIA drivers and Windows Update (solved by installing Windows 10 offline and installing latest NVIDIA drivers offline) I've had no issues at all. Installed on all three of my PCs (desktop, Surface Pro and ThinkPad L540) and on a custom build I did this week for a client.

The issue with NVIDIA drivers and Windows Update was that Windows Update would detect you had an NVIDIA GPU and start downloading a buggy driver from Windows Update. You then couldn't install the official NVIDIA driver and in my case I was left with no display at all thanks to that buggy driver. So I reinstalled and installed offline, put on the latest NVIDIA driver and Windows Update has left me alone now since the NVIDIA driver I have now is clearly newer than any on Windows Update. That might have been resolved now, that was on release day (July 29th).

WhoX

For those of you who haven't received Microsoft's DVD Player and would like to try it out, here is the link and install instructions.

1. Download from Windows Update:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d..._ceaa55720fcf4dc8d568b7acb4cf9acf27f54f41.cab

2. Make 2 directories, c:\temp and c:\temp2

3. Extract the windows10.0-kb3081704-x64.msi file from downloaded cabinet file into c:\temp

4. Open command prompt as admin and type (or copy/paste this):

msiexec /a c:\temp\windows10.0-kb3081704-x64.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp2

5. Open PowerShell as admin and type (or copy/paste this, all one line):

Add-AppxProvisionedPackage -Online -PackagePath c:\temp2\InstallDVDAppxPackage\cd0c0ffe0ee94518833e70b1e931fcff.appxbundle -LicensePath c:\temp2\InstallDVDAppxPackage\cd0c0ffe0ee94518833e70b1e931fcff_License1.xml

I installed it and took it for a spin. Rumors are that Microsoft is planning on selling the player at a later date, if that's the case then they need to do some serious improvements. The DVD Player is very basic. It lacks any kind of audio or video setup other than close caption and aspect ratio. It also had a hard time accessing some of my DVDs, the same DVDs that open in VLC Player without a glitch.

spirit

Staff member
I should have added to my last post that I clean installed with an ISO and product key, I didn't use the free upgrade because I don't like upgrade installations. That might be why I haven't had many issues bar the NVIDIA and Windows Update troubles which I sorted but is an still an issue if you install Windows 10 with an NVIDIA card connected to the internet. Friend of mine was having issues with that today.

@Fitster do you have an NVIDIA card? Sometimes buggy drivers with GPUs can cause this boot error.

Aastii

VIP Member
I upgraded this morning and so far have zero problems. All drivers went in fine, all programs work fine, I did some gaming and that works perfectly.

The only two things that are annoying me so far are that it turned UAC back on and that snapping a window to one side doors not work as it did in 7

spirit

Staff member
Hmmm the snapping works fine for me. You can now snap four windows on each display (one in each corner).

Punk

Staff member
Has anyone tried it on a tablet?

My Lenovo has the windows logo since it runs Win 8.1 . I'm still unsure if this is a wise idea to upgrade...

Troncoso

VIP Member
Hmmm the snapping works fine for me. You can now snap four windows on each display (one in each corner).

I don't know if he's talking about the same thing that bothers me, but I don't like that everytime I snap a window, it shows me a map of all other open windows on the other side. I kind of get what it's for, but I'm more than capable of snapping another window to the other side myself if I feel the need.

spirit

Staff member
Has anyone tried it on a tablet?

My Lenovo has the windows logo since it runs Win 8.1 . I'm still unsure if this is a wise idea to upgrade...
Yup. It runs great on my first generation Surface Pro!

I don't know if he's talking about the same thing that bothers me, but I don't like that everytime I snap a window, it shows me a map of all other open windows on the other side. I kind of get what it's for, but I'm more than capable of snapping another window to the other side myself if I feel the need.
That might be it. I can see that getting annoying if you don't want to snap another window next to it. Not sure if you can change that or not, I don't think so. :(

Aastii

VIP Member

This is exactly it, I didn't say that it doesn't work but that it does not work as it does in Windows 7. I am used to using it in such a way that I know what it will do and I know what I intend to do, only on 10 I don't any more because of the stupid additional windows.

I have found however that if you click the window that you have snapped to the side it will act the same as 7 did, albeit with one additional, unnecessary click

Jiniix

I believe you are looking for this, Aastii:
Settings -> Multitasking -> 'When I snap a window, show me what I can snap next to it' on/off
I turned it off, and it felt like Windows 7 again. Didn't test it much though.

Darren

Staff member
The "Reset PC" option for my laptop worked perfectly. From all appearances it looks and acts like a clean install. The only remnants of the past are a Windows.old folder, but all it has in it are a few links that don't appear to do anything, no actual data or anything from what I can tell. My GPU drivers, both Intel and Nvidia were installed with the latest version and work fine as far as switchable graphics is concerned. After doing my upgrade, my trackpad didn't work at all, but doing the reset and it worked from the get go. My gestures are a bit different, but it's using a different driver than the Asus one I normally do. Even my WiFi adapter worked out of the gate, which surprised me a bit. Kudos to MS for doing a good job with the reset feature.