Windows 10

silv55

Most of those issues are very specific and only happen in rare situations.

Hi guys; what is different between Win 10 preview build 9926 and
Current previews of Windows 10 such as Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9841, 9860, 9879 will all expire April 15th 2015.

Last edited:
I downloaded and installed it on my main PC(VBox) and worked no lag!! I think when they release the normal version of Win10 I will install it on main PC...

Comments: Very good OS, full compatibility, no lag, reliable and beautiful GUI.

spirit

Staff member

That's when the latest one (10041) expires. Earlier builds such as 9841, 9860 and 9879 expire in April (which initially lead me to believe that April was the release month for 10 but now I think October might be).

Speaking of Build 10041, I have it in VMware. Seems a lot like 9926 but with the transparent Start Menu, smaller Start button and new icons as seen in the leaks of 10036 (which I also had) but I heard that Cortana was meant to work for UK systems in 10041 but it isn't for me at all. :( It could just be the VM or perhaps it's because of my upgrade from 10036 but it doesn't seem to work for me. :(

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Half my games dont work with this stupid update.

Both games got updates right before tehy stopped so maybe thats the issue

Remember that Build 10041 is a 'fast ring' build meaning that it is one that is pushed out to the Windows Insiders who choose to get the builds more frequently but know that there may be more bugs.

If you're running a Preview OS as you primary OS then you have to expect things like that with each update.

I'm looking forward to trying out Spartan and a UK version of Cortana in the upcoming builds! :good:

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
LOL Microsoft didn't call them that.

No they didn't. You asked where they were and there they are. They just go in and out of using their numbering system. Who cares how it's numbered or what it's called? Windows 8.1 was Windows "9" for continuity sake but it's irrelevant really.

Also there's a pretty good chance they did call them that in the development stage. XP is akin to Windows 2000 in a similar way to how 8.1 is similar to 8.0. Might have smallish visual and functional changes but largely a similar OS.

Jiniix

Does anyone know if you can keep your license status but do a clean install?
I really don't want to do a upgrade directly, much prefer clean installs :)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know if you can keep your license status but do a clean install?
I really don't want to do a upgrade directly, much prefer clean installs :)

If you cant..Just like you can do a clean install with other "Upgrade" versions of windows,I'm sure people will find a way too.

spirit

Staff member
I'm just downloading Build 10049 from Windows Update in my VMware VM of 10041 as we speak. Apparently it has the anticipated Project Spartan browser included. I cannot wait to try it out!

Really it would be good to try it on my Surface Pro with the pen because apparently you can draw on web pages, but my 24" monitor on my desktop is a touch screen and works with my Surface Pro pen - just hoping the VM allows the touch capabilities to work OK! ;)

spirit

Staff member
So I finally got 10049 installed. For some reason I was having trouble upgrading from 10041 to 10049 in VMware Workstation 11 - the upgrade just hung and when it finished after 4 hours Spartan didn't work at all. So I installed 9926 in VirtualBox and upgraded to 10049 and it works fine!

10049 seems to run a little slowly in my VirtualBox VM, but at least I can get it to work unlike in VMware. ;) Spartan seems to be a nice browser, but some sites, such as this one, don't seem to work great with it. For example I can't log into this site using Spartan but perhaps the forum software being old doesn't help or the fact that Spartan is a beta browser.

The inking capabilities are cool. It would be ideal if I could try it on my Surface Pro and use my Surface Pen to add notes but I don't want Windows 10 on my Surface just yet (I use it every day and it needs to work so I have 8.1 Pro on it) but you can add notes using a mouse which is quite cool.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes and also looking forward to seeing what add ons become available for it! Here's a screenshot:

Spartan on Windows 10 Build 10049 by ThinkPad Review, on Flickr

strollin

I have no trouble logging into this forum from the Spartan browser, made this post from Spartan.

spartan.jpg

Last edited: