Windows 10

spirit

Staff member
10061 doesn't look much different to 10056. Going to skip 10061 and wait for the next release or leak - whichever comes first.

Lots of screenshots of 10064 were leaked days before Microsoft released 10061 and apparently 10106 is the latest on the Build Feed.

strollin

I don't mess with leaked builds, they're not worth my time. Lots of people who had the leaked 10056 build had to go back to the "official" 10049 build in order to install 10061. I'm not that anxious, I'll wait until the next MS released build.

spirit

Staff member
I was playing around with Windows 10 on my phone today (Nokia Lumia 625).

New features (from 8.1):
- Project Spartan browser
- Overhauled Start Screen tiles on top of wallpaper rather than wallpaper showing through tiles
- Overhauled Settings menu with icons very similar to that from Windows 10
- Overhauled People and Messages app - now your contacts have little circular profile pictures
- New Mail and Calendar apps very similar (or the same, in fact) to the ones you see in Windows 10 Builds 10051, 10056 and 10061

Improvements:
- Much easier to find options in the Settings menu now that everything is grouped together
- Push notifications for Outlook app (can't remember if previous versions of Windows Phone had this).
- Newly installed apps now appear at the very top of the All Apps screen for a little while
- More settings and options in the Notification Area - good for quick and easy access

Things I didn't like so much:
- Mail app tile now holds all of your accounts - I preferred having separate tiles for each of my accounts
- Some context menus and icons are really too small to touch - need to have bigger icons/links in the Settings menu etc
- People app doesn't appear to have a live tile. Not sure if that's a bug or intentional but in Windows Phone 7 and 8 I loved the People live tile

Bugs and features missing:
- Seems to be much slower than 8.1 - lag between pressing the Back button on my phone and actually going back to the previous screen
- Can't press the Back button on your phone to go back to Start Screen from All Apps screen (need to swipe instead)
- No version of Office included as of yet and Preview apps aren't available yet - the only Office apps available are OneDrive and Outlook (they come pre-installed), Lync 2010/2013 and Office 365 Admin (which you can download from the Store)
- On some phones you can't turn off mobile data (but you can on my 625)
- Project Spartan is included but for me at least I couldn't use the keyboard with it, so it's useless

Verdict: 10 will be good when it is stable and probably worth the upgrade from 8.1 since it will be free and there will be more new features such as these new Office apps which aren't available yet, but for the time being it's too slow for me to use on my 625 every day, I think. I have gone back to 8.1. I only had 10 for a few hours.

Some screenshots:

I'm not sure how many people here have used Windows Phone 8.1, so you may not be able to tell the difference between 8.1 and 10 if you haven't used 8.1 before, but those that have will see the differences.

Last edited:

silv55

I upgraded to Win 10 Tp build 10074 i had problems because this build came with touch-pad drivers by default,my HP Dv 5,6 have no touch-pad can i uninstall ''Synaptic pointing drivers''? these drivers are for the touch-pad,

Punk

Staff member
Just updated the Pro evaluation build:

Windows%2010%20tech%20preview_zpsvf2zkqax.png

WhoX

Windows 10 for rent

I read in an article today that Microsoft might be considering charging an annual (yearly) fee for Windows, starting with version 10. I don't mind paying an annual fee for MS office, but I would feel a little insecure about renting an operating system.

What do you all think about renting Windows?

Geoff

VIP Member
I read in an article today that Microsoft might be considering charging an annual (yearly) fee for Windows, starting with version 10. I don't mind paying an annual fee for MS office, but I would feel a little insecure about renting an operating system.

First I heard of this...

Punk

Staff member

First I heard of this...

Same here...

I feel this is all speculation and not real information... In fact when you google this, you only find people saying how much it would cost if they were to make a yearly fee (based on the price of Office and Office 365).

If it was the case, I won't be using Windows anymore, their OS are expansive enough when you upgrade or buy a new one (upgrade to 8 was 100 euros...). I don't want to have that kind of fee every year to use my computer. I would probably go Linux if that was the case.

Geoff

VIP Member
Microsoft wants everyone off of Windows 8 and earlier, which is why Windows 10 is being given away for free for most users who upgrade. If they made it a yearly subscription, you can bet most people would stick with whatever OS they have now.

WhoX

This is the comment I was talking about.

But don't think Microsoft is getting touchy-feely. The software maker's chief operating office recently spoke about moving from one-time licensing fees to an "annuity conversion," meaning that the company may still be trying to figure out how to loop people, or at least corporations, into paying an annual fee.

original article

Maybe Microsoft will offer an option. Pay annually (which will allow the user to get any new version automatically) or a one time payment until the next version shows up. Any way the above statement in the CBS article is not a confirmation, so we will have to wait and see.

beers

Staff member
With Windows 8 end of support in 2023 there's really no rush, so we can sit back and see how it pans out. If there isn't a competitive offering even with their yearly fee by that time then it's a full time Linux conversion for this guy :p

Punk

Staff member
If there isn't a competitive offering even with their yearly fee by that time then it's a full time Linux conversion for this guy :p

To be honest this doesn't bother me at all :)

That would be a bad move from MS though, I'm pretty sure that with all those viruses and adwares (more present on MS than Macs), people will look more into getting a mac than a PC. Especially if Mac is more and more compatible with all softwares and games. Linux could go that way too, and get MS users that don't want to pay a yearly fee. But that's only in the case this happens :)

WhoX

If most companies go the way of renting software, then annual fees for software could stack up real fast.

Here's what I pay monthly and yearly for software already:

- anti-virus 6x PC and 5x cell phone/tablet licenses = 15 Euros ($17) monthly
- Office 365 5x PC and mobile licenses = 83 Euros ($93) yearly
- Adobe product 1x license = 24 Euros ($27) monthly

- Windows 10 (if Microsoft decides to rent their OS) 3-5 license pack = estimate 30-65 Euros ($34-$73) yearly

The products I annually pay for make good business sense, but Windows wouldn't. I don't upgrade to a new OS every time Microsoft introduces a different version, so paying an annual fee would force me to pay more money than I would like.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft has always cost money for new users. Paying for an OS isn't a big deal, but paying yearly is.

I wouldnt pay for a yearly plan,Absulutly not..i was wondering why they didnt consider this for their Operating systems when their office suite went Pay yearly. :cool:

silv55

Microsoft has always cost money for new users. Paying for an OS isn't a big deal, but paying yearly is.

Geoff: give me a good reason why should i pay for an OPS?
first of all i mostly use my PC for Web Browsing and Streaming,my main OPS is Ubuntu 14.04 and and as you know it's free, it does all i need same as Win and as streaming video i think it does it better because i don't have worries about streaming all sites,no need for Protection,when i use Win always i'm worried i get infected with virus and malware crap on some sites,since i don't pay for any software protections.

beers

Staff member
Why do you insert your own acronym of OPS when the standardized one is already accepted as OS?

Geoff: give me a good reason why should i pay for an OPS?

That's a personal decision for you but if you want to use Windows without being a stealing pirate thief then you'll have to pay for it or acquire a 'legal' copy through various promotions or bundles.